[DCS BUG] AIM-54

chief

Nothing has changed on them.

fair enough, i still need to find out why im suddenly having major problems with them though lol

any idea if ed have altered anything relevant?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

fair enough, i still need to find out why im suddenly having major problems with them though lol

any idea if ed have altered anything relevant?

Not to my knowledge and rather unlikely imo. Are you sure your versions are up to date, etc, or maybe a mod might be causing issues or similar?

Apart from the usual missile breaks crazy at the end, which sometimes the AI seems to "abuse", I would not have noticed that I get less kills.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Not to my knowledge and rather unlikely imo. Are you sure your versions are up to date, etc, or maybe a mod might be causing issues or similar?

Apart from the usual missile breaks crazy at the end, which sometimes the AI seems to "abuse", I would not have noticed that I get less kills.

dont think i have any mods and its upto date.

crazy break close to target is what mine do

mine will not work at bvr anymore, they track perfectly till a hundred yards or so from the target then snap to pull huge lead and die, this is happening consistently to me vs ai and i dont understand why. they used to work 70-80% of the time but now i have to close and use acm mode to get any hits at all

weird, what kind of AIM-54´s you are using? The AIM-54A MK47 is weak, the MK60 is very good, the AIM-54C besides the more or less smoke less engine is weak too….But, I dont see a hitting issue with all of the missiles at all, you just need to know which missile you use and you fire it in the right parameters, to get a high PK with it...

You cant fire with a MK47 from 60 miles like you would with a MK60 from a high to high to catch a off guard guy.

weird, what kind of AIM-54´s you are using? The AIM-54A MK47 is weak, the MK60 is very good, the AIM-54C besides the more or less smoke less engine is weak too….But, I dont see a hitting issue with all of the missiles at all, you just need to know which missile you use and you fire it in the right parameters, to get a high PK with it...

You cant fire with a MK47 from 60 miles like you would with a MK60 from a high to high to catch a off guard guy.

i mostly use the mk60 but ive tried the c.

i havnt altered my launch parameters, at all, head on shots from co alt (give or take 5k feet).

all the missiles track perfectly till a few hundred yards out and then suddenly snap to some bizarre angle, sometimes lag (like its chasing chaff) and sometimes lead which cant be chaff, it DEFFINATELY feels like a bug.

i did more testing tonight fired a total of 11 missiles 9 of which were between 50 and 20 miles, all head on shots so serious closure speeds. 1 of them hit! used both tws and pd stt with the same results

the other 2 i fired in acm mode and both hit np.

its getting to the point im thinking about ditching them completely and trying the sparrow :(

i mostly use the mk60 but ive tried the c.

i havnt altered my launch parameters, at all, head on shots from co alt (give or take 5k feet).

all the missiles track perfectly till a few hundred yards out and then suddenly snap to some bizarre angle, sometimes lag (like its chasing chaff) and sometimes lead which cant be chaff, it DEFFINATELY feels like a bug.

i did more testing tonight fired a total of 11 missiles 9 of which were between 50 and 20 miles, all head on shots so serious closure speeds. 1 of them hit! used both tws and pd stt with the same results

the other 2 i fired in acm mode and both hit np.

its getting to the point im thinking about ditching them completely and trying the sparrow :(

you have a tacview?

Edited by MoGas

Against highly maneuverable targets that weren't maneuvering. Three jets in close formation aren't maneuvering. They can't maneuver under those circumstances. During the Iran-Iraq War most Phoenix kills were against poorly trained pilots under the control of GCI, who didn't even know there was a missile inbound until it hit them.

I'm not saying the Phoenix can't hit small maneuverable targets, I'm just saying that using the Iran-Iraq War as evidence is not sound because those small maneuverable targets weren't even maneuvering in most cases, and worse, were flown by untrained pilots.

EXACTLY. May as well have been a bomber if they werent maneuvering. According to an ex 14 pilot I chatted with they are highly over modelled in DCS

Right now aim-54 is:

1. Magicly tracking from any distance without any RWR spikes, it's tracking even if F-14 that launched the missile is already went to spectators.

2. It's tracking through the mountains

3. It's impossible to notch, because it has it's own magical tracking and even if you notch the radar and drop the spike, it continue to track you.

You can defeat it only kinematically or force it to hit the surface

Right now aim-54 is:

1. Magicly tracking from any distance without any RWR spikes, it's tracking even if F-14 that launched the missile is already went to spectators.

3. It's impossible to notch, because it has it's own magical tracking and even if you notch the radar and drop the spike, it continue to track you.

:music_whistling:

dreams are so bluе dreams... :doh:

If HB made the Phoenix as described in your complaint, then everyone would only fly with these missiles and destroy the targets with 100% probability.

Your wet fantasies are such funny fantasies ... :megalol:

All have heard this before about AIM-120, R-77, EP-27ET, etc. Now the turn of AIM-54.

Edited by kievbsm

Right now aim-54 is:

it is too easy to be notched, should be harder………..:joystick:

Ok, i'll make a video for you and for the second guy. But you wont believe it, im sure.

So my question is: what is your time zone? I'll host the server with simple mission (or you can host, there is no difference) so you will see this with you own mk1 eyeball

Keep testing it, until you figure it out ;)

Keep testing it, until you figure it out ;)

:music_whistling:

dreams are so bluе dreams... :doh:

If HB made the Phoenix as described in your complaint, then everyone would only fly with these missiles and destroy the targets with 100% probability.

Your wet fantasies are such funny fantasies ... :megalol:

All have heard this before about AIM-120, R-77, EP-27ET, etc. Now the turn of AIM-54.

Here is the video and tac view

Tacview file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DQN5I5nPF1hAvzLKDjQ6cKJnWS4jIPk6/view?usp=sharing

Edited by arkasha_s_mishkoi

Right now aim-54 is:

Impossible to notch? :joystick:

Nothing new…..

Yep, impossible, even if you notch the radar, it’s useless, because it has two radars - one is good and can alarm your RWR and can be notched, second is magical, the problem is AIM-54 using it’s magical radar

>Nothing new…..

Well, another dude thought it's a "dreams are so bluе dreams..", but it's clear that aim-54 is the dumbest missile in the game as OP said, and it's tracking from any distance and tracking through the mountains, and yes you can't notch it. I can make another video with notching, but i think you should test it better yourself, to be honest i’m a little afraid of your tomcat fans denialism.

Yep, impossible, even if you notch the radar, it’s useless, because it has two radars - one is good and can alarm your RWR and can be notched, second is magical, the problem is AIM-54 using it’s magical radar

>Nothing new…..

Well, another dude thought it's a "dreams are so bluе dreams..", but it's clear that aim-54 is the dumbest missile in the game as OP said, and it's tracking from any distance and tracking through the mountains, and yes you can't notch it. I can make another video with notching, but i think you should test it better yourself, to be honest i’m a little afraid of your tomcat fans denialism.

wow didnt know that, about the two radars......when you call it the dumbest missile, and she is able to track you down, in any case, I would call it a "smart-ass" missile anyway....I dont even have the Tomcat, I fly the J11 the hole day…

:noexpression:

wow didnt know that, about the two radars......when you call it the dumbest missile, and she is able to track you down, in any case, I would call it a "smart-ass" missile anyway....I dont even have the Tomcat, I fly the J11 the hole day…

:noexpression:

Just imagine what you can do with that missile in MP. My first (and last) sortie in the MP with Mk60 phoenixes was like tell the jester to lock the enemy, shot one from 30 miles, turn 180 and fly away, then get the kill. Repeated 4 times, got 4 kills. I know it's not the HB fault but can't wait that to be fixed

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there is a lot wrong with it. For starter, it is behaving like the 120. Secondly it isn't an effective A2A weapons against maneuverable fighter. And when is the last time you seen a 54 go up to 80,000 and come down on its target. Havent seen it once in the hundred and hundreds of 54s I’ve seen fired. As well pitbulling off the rails? Not likely. I am "told" that heatblur has the correct modelling complete but ED won't use it

Edited by chief

They were always crap.. only Iran claims Iraqi kills using it, and thats' likely BS too! You are correct, they are supposed to hit Mach 5 and climb to between 80 and 100,000 feet, then dive on target.

"U.S. combat experience -

On January 5, 1999, a pair of US F-14s fired two Phoenixes at Iraqi MiG-25s southeast of Baghdad. Both AIM-54s' rocket motors failed and neither missile hit its target.

On September 9, 1999, another US F-14 launched an AIM-54 at an Iraqi MiG-23 that was heading south into the no-fly zone from Al Taqaddum air base west of Baghdad. The missile missed, eventually going into the ground after the Iraqi fighter reversed course and fled north."

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

@chief - just curious to know if you are saying that ED chooses not to use the correct model for the 54 for the purpose of making the F-14 more desirable?

The folks that I see flying the F-14 would likely fly it no matter what... They like the AC.

I wonder how much impact on sales there would be if they nerfed the 54 back to reality?

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Well this has been discussed in other threads, the kinematics of the missile drag wise is about as good as were going to get short of actual flyout charts. With the second part of the kinematics equaion lift actually being nerfed compared to real life. The amount of lift the missile has has been significantly reduced (down to a max of 7g's from the 18 possible for the A and 23+ for the C) due to guidance issues. All of this boils down to ED's missile guidance code being bad and not being fixed. Additionally still not giving HB access to the missile code in the first place let alone the full code.

Edited by nighthawk2174