Which A-A weapons to use?

Bluecat

I apologize in advance if this is too basic. Laugh if you must.

But how do you guys determine which air-to-air weapons to use in which situations?

I understand basically how to launch the A-A weapons. There's plenty of tutorials on that. But tactically, how do you work through your options in terms of weapons? That information is harder to find.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Lord, the possible scenarios are endless. Give a scenario... what are you going against, what type of mission are you on and what are your rules of engagement?

Basically, though... you use the Phoenix the way a boxer with a longer reach uses that advantage. You get the first shot and can get the bandit defensive while you press the fight.

As you get closer, maneuver to your advantage against that defensive bandit and take an AIM-7 shot if he’s still alive. Keep pressing.

If he survives the AIM-7, maneuver for the AIM-9 shot.

If you’ve done all that badly, or if he’s really lucky or good, you decide whether to use your escape window and get out of the fight, extend and re-engage, or worst case scenario get yourself into a gun fight.

Edited by Spiceman

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Phoenix for longrange big targets around 20-70nm.

Sparrows for small targets below 20nm

Sidewinder if you can see your target

Gun if you are really clise and has nothing left.

You can't expect a hit with the sparrow from 20 miles... 8 to 6 miles is more realistic against a fighter. Also Phoenix can be used below 20 miles, in fact between 20 to 10 is the usual distance I fire them against human opponents with good effect.

Phoenix against everything outside sidewinder range. Use sparrow if you don't have Aim54s or the target is no threat to you.

People are giving out good range gouge; here are just a couple minor things to consider:

1. Don't shoot a sidewinder if your target is into the sun. The sun is like the best countermeasure flare ever. If the target is running into the sun and there's enough range between you, shoot him with a sparrow, or hold fire on the sidewinder until he turns clear of the sun and you still have a good growl on him.

2. If you are aiming down at a low target with a lot of background clutter, consider using a sidewinder instead of a sparrow. The missile gets a little range boost going hi-low, and you mitigate the risk of the sparrow not tracking against ground clutter or your radar losing STT and wasting the missile.

3. If you are head to head and closing at high speed, don't squeeze off a sparrow if the missile can't track and hit the target before you hit the merge and you lose lock, or the target is so close/fast that a good jink on his part is going to break your radar lock. That one takes a bit of experience to work out- most folks learn this one the hard way once or twice.

4. Finally, in the immortal words of Viper: "You can select Zone-5, extend, and escape." Scenario: you're out of sidewinders but you've got a sparrow left, and you're in knife-fighting range of either a much more nimble target, or you don't have the gas to get into a lengthy, turning gunfight. You've got two big, beautiful engines and a lot of acceleration. Maneuver so the bogey is going to take some time to turn and shoot you in the ass, light the fires, unload the jet (zero-gee push on the stick) if you have the altitude to do it, and put some distance between you. He's probably going to turn and chase, especially if he has any missiles left. If you can get a few miles between you quickly and get turned back around, you can lock him quick with the vsl-mode and shoot 'em right in the lips with that last sparrow. (Sometimes a good place to use a vertical move, sometimes not, depending on starting altitude, available terrain, and the opponent) This is a GREAT move if your opponent is down to guns. If he's still got missiles, it's a gamble and a judgment call.*

*You can also use a maneuver like this if you aren't engaged, but in the middle of a merged, 'many vs many' furball and you feel like you're losing SA. Extend, push out of the bogey cloud, then turn back and pick one out of the herd without having to worry who's behind you. This works well as a 'game' maneuver with semi-worthless AI wingmen and less than savvy AI opponents.

5. Firing a missile to force an opponent onto the defensive as you close the range will work if the numbers are equal. If you are on the wrong end of a 'few VS many' scenario, you're just wasting shots you are going to really wish you hadn't in a few short minutes.

6. If your missiles are semi-active (sparrow) VS active (Phoenix or AMRAAM) and you are facing an opponent who can potentially carry active missiles, don't try to use a sparrow at long range to force him defensive. Once he fires his, he can maneuver at will while you have to stay nose-on for your sparrow to track- you can already see how that one ends. I'm not a fan of the 'spook him' missile shot anyway (personal preference), but if you want to go that route, use an active weapon like a Phoenix. Hell, with a Phoenix you actually stand a fair chance of getting him.

Happy hunting!

Edited by jmarso

In DCS I stick with Phoenix and Sidewinders. Sparrows are so useless across all modules that the only way you can hit anything with them is when you're already in Sidewinder range. So with that in mind, Phoenix from 10nm - 40nm, anything within 10nm I press for Sidewinders.

In DCS I stick with Phoenix and Sidewinders. Sparrows are so useless across all modules that the only way you can hit anything with them is when you're already in Sidewinder range. So with that in mind, Phoenix from 10nm - 40nm, anything within 10nm I press for Sidewinders.

same here, and you can always mad dog off a phoenix if you need to (possibly the most fun you can have in the cat)

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

Don't know. I don't shoot 'em into the sun. :D

Sometimes i chase someone with Sidewinder in close combat, i got the lock sound, squeeze the trigger befor i start to think and fire that damn thing into the sun.

Yes, if you select heatseekers and point at the sun in any module that carries them, you will hear the lock tone and the missile will try to fly off out of the atmosphere.

not many people know this but Apollo went to the moon on a sidewinder that was shot at the sun...

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen