HMA's cockpit build - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
TomDK

Reputation power: 8
TomDK is a jewel in the roughTomDK is a jewel in the roughTomDK is a jewel in the roughTomDK is a jewel in the roughTomDK is a jewel in the roughTomDK is a jewel in the rough

Great !

A nice job for a build-in-graphicscard on the motherboard

I did not know that this mini-monitors are simply vga-connected.

Looking very good ... maybe you make a small run for us ?!
Would be nice beside my panels from sweden An international pit.

... for the beginning:
MS-7750 i5_2500K @4500MhzA
16 GB RAM
ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 2048MB RAM
2 x SSD 120 GB
iijama 27 Zoll / iijama 24 Zoll touchscreen
TM HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR5, iControl, Saitek Combat Rudders, HELIOS, 6 panels so far, working UFC, Phidgets LED 64 card, Tactile Feedback System, a wooden simpit with a racing seat ... to be continued

My pit so far:
http://bilder.einzelart.de/thumbnail...lbum=74&page=3

TomDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Hansolo

Reputation power: 13
Hansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really nice
Default CDU is up and running

Got the CDU panel assembled during the weekend and it is working although the finish is not too great. I have following areas for improvement which I need to look into:

1. The buttons are made from clear plexiglas painted grey on the front and white on the back. Need to try with opal white plexiglas instead as the letters is not really visible.

2. The white frame on front of panel is made by missing off material and then spay white paint on with the plastic protection film still attached. As can be seen the result is poor. Need to revise my strategy towards materials. Will try to find someting similar to what Linden is using as his result is staggering.

3. The attachement of the VGA board need to be refined

4. I have only attached 64 input which is actially one too few. Reason is that I use the B256A13 board from Brydling and wanted to match two 40-pin connectors

5. The LCD screen is not correct size thus will never be a true replica but will have to do. At least it is working:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNAk92GBRs

@Tom the problem of making a panel run is that the cutouts depends deeply on the size of the LCD, plus the location of the tactiles have to match the grid of the prototype pcb.
I am currently using two prototype boards and this causes a slight misalignment between the pcb boards

Also this have been made specifically for the B256A13 so 16 diode for 16 tactiles are interconnected to lessen the amount of common lines.

If you want CDU panel then I would suggest Linden's as the quality of his is simply beyond my reach. Saw he had the CDU on the list so maybe in the future he will make a panel run
http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.ph...32884&langid=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2815.JPG
Views:	599
Size:	828.4 KB
ID:	73810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2819.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	770.8 KB
ID:	73811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2810.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	73812  

Name:	IMG_2820.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	887.2 KB
ID:	73813  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Dropship Pilot

Reputation power: 7
Dropship Pilot is on a distinguished road

HMA,

nice work and no need to worry about the display. Simply cut a frame with a 80x60mm cutout (that's the size of the glass area on the original display) from black self adhesive sheeting and glue it to the display. Then reduce the area where the characters are displayed to 73x49mm and you have the original configuration.
You'll loose some pixels but unless it's really low resolution it shouldn't matter. Only the arrow buttons might be a little far from the text.

The other thing I'd suggest is to spray paint the gloss black keyboard frame with a matt coat which should make quite a difference. As an alternative you could use flat black color and mask off the white frame.

Cheers,
Stefan
Dropship Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Hansolo

Hansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really nice

Thanks for your kind comments, Stefan. Much appreciated. I did consider making the frame smaller but had the same doubt as you that the arrow buttons will be too far from the text.

I think I will try you suggestion. It has been painted matt but on the rear/downward side. This is why it stands out as gloss. Will dismantle and give it a matt top coast as well, at the same time I can correct the white frame

Cheers,

Hans
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Reputation power: 153
MTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud ofMTFDarkEagle has much to be proud of

Very nice!

What LCD display are you using?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Hansolo

Thanks a lot. I think the the one I bough was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-8inch-TF...item45ffa1137a

Appart from the fact that I should gone with a different size, it work very nice. The board takes VGA so just straigh plug and play
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
agrasyuk

Reputation power: 21
agrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of lightagrasyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMA View Post
Appart from the fact that I should gone with a different size, it work very nice.:
thanks for sharing. what size should the display actually be?
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #18
Dropship Pilot

Reputation power: 7
Dropship Pilot is on a distinguished road

I'd recommend this display & driver board:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/VGA-AV-Contro...item2a1fcaeaa6
The outer dimension makes it fit into the opening of an original CDU panel and (more importantly to most) the active display area is a very good match too:
Original Dot Matrix Display: 73x49mm
PD035VX2: 72x53mm
So on the left and right side there's only an 0.5mm difference to the real deal (which noone will notice) and the height difference is easily dealt with by applying a frame with a 72x49mm cutout.
Also with 640x480 is has a good resolution (most 3.5" have only 320x240) and the driver board makes it possible the switch the image upside down which might come handy depending where you want to place the connector for the board.

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited by Dropship Pilot; 11-22-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Dropship Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #19
Hansolo

Looks perfect, Stefan. I especially like the fact that the VGA card is centered with the LCD screen. Mine is unfortunately offset...
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Hansolo

Juhu..... Finally some work done on the pit..

I have installed an PC power supply in left side panel and hotwired the on/off of the power supply to the battery switch. So once battry power is turned on the PC power supply will apply power to the CDU LCD and Phidgets LED board. Works great

Lately I have been working on front part of the cockpit. It wasn't until resently I noticed that my cockpit drawings are actually made by Dimebug. A great thanks to him for the excellent work.

I have long ago decided that trying to attached servoes for indication is going to be too difficult for me, so I was going to utilize Helios' outstanding capabillities. For past year I have been running with a cheap touch screen which kinda worked but since it is based upon optical registration wrong inputs have been entered more than once. Therefore the plan was to used the TM MFD's instead.

I got a used 22" monitor which I stripped of all the plastic so that it could be mounted flush in the front cockpit. Then four layers of plexiglas have been routed facilitate the rotary encoders for HSI, ADI and Altimeter. This would ofcause mean that many if the gauges would be incapsulated by the plexiglas but is is a small price for having the encoders in the middle of the screen. Wires have been imbedded in the layers of plexiglas.

I did try and see if the MFCD power switches could be incoporated in the TM MFD's but there was any room so they are on the outside (engraving plate still missing).

The screen is held in place by the plexiglass for MFCD power switches and flight instrumentation. The TH MFD's are not really attached. The are stuck in between plexiglas for flight instrumentation, power switches and cable. Works fine
Eventually a modified landing gear panel will be made where the flap and gear wheel indications will be generated via Helios on the screen. The ACHP panel is not positioned correctly but at least it is then fluch with the rest.

The UFC is working with the LED attached to the Phidgets board but the front plate when sour a long time ago I haven't made a new one yet. Thats the reason for the tape...

Cheers
Hans
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0689.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	890.4 KB
ID:	76733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0693.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	923.2 KB
ID:	76734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0694.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	719.9 KB
ID:	76735  

Name:	IMAG0695.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	76736  
Attached Files
File Type: rar HMA Helios profile v. 1.9.rar (12.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Hansolo; 10-23-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Attached Helios profile
Hansolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a10c panel cockpit, cockpit building, cockpit controls