How To: Build a A-10 flight panel controller - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
TigersharkBAS

Reputation power: 10
TigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really nice

Thanks Warrior :-)

New videos up in first post
TigersharkBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
pikas

Reputation power: 0
pikas is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic work & videos - now it is much easier for me to begin my own cockpit project. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge !!!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
jesusmataman1776

jesusmataman1776 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vidz came out just in time! I have the same plan. It's nice to know that I'm on the right path.
Only difference is I'm mounting the switches in a back plate then over that put a custom front panel from frontpanelexpress.com with the white lettering etched into the Black metal panel
jesusmataman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
TigersharkBAS

TigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really nice

Posted a new You Tube video on how to configure your panel properly in A-10. Check the first post for the embedded vid.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
pikas

pikas is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome job with the vids and your whole project - thanks a lot for sharing . I am considering to use a GroovyGameGear Controller as a second device. So I hope you can help me with a few remaining questions:

1. How do you get those numbers you decribed in the last vid, for example the ["up"] = 1075?

2. How do you physically connect a 3-way-switch to the controller (did you have the middle contact connectet twice?) an how do you programm that (I think it is programed as two seperate switches).

3. Is it possibe to use a multy position rotary dial like the Mode Select Dial in the Countermeasure Signal Processor (CMSP) Panel with the GroovyGameGear controller. If yes, how is it physically to connect to the GroovyGameGear controller and how to program it.

Thx in advance!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
TigersharkBAS

Hi Pikas,

Answers below:

1) Experimentation and by searching through the lua file.
2) In a 3 position toggle switch the middle position is off and will not make any signal with the GPWiz40 (Groovygamegear product). The trick is to make the "up" value of each of the other positions to match what the code for "off" should be. Watch my video again and pay close attention in the part where I refer to the Inverter switch. A 3 position switch will have ground connected to the center pole and a wire for each of the other poles each going to their own slot on the GPWiz40

3) It is possible according to the manufacturer's site although I have yet to try this. Keep in mind it can only handle rotary switches that have certain conditions.

You are best looking at the installation guide PDF that they have on the site. It is near the bottom of the page which explains about the GPWiz40.

Last edited by TigersharkBAS; 02-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
LeLv30_Superbus

Reputation power: 9
LeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigersharkBAS View Post
The key challenge here is how to hook up a toggle switch with a USB controller so that it sends only a "pulse" like a button press and not keep the connection open. At the moment the interface thinks that you are continuosly holding down a button when throw the switch.
Try SVMapper (free) or if you have more than 4 controllers, Xpadder which costs 7 €. Both solve this problem perfectly. SVMapper is very easy to learn while Xpadder is much more versatile and thus a little harder to figure out.
LeLv30_Superbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
TigersharkBAS

Thanks Levl,

The goal was to build it without the requirement of using software. My idea was to make it as plug and play as humanly possible.

But of course mentioning this software here is valuable input for others. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
LeLv30_Superbus

Reputation power: 9
LeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the roughLeLv30_Superbus is a jewel in the rough

Ah, ok, I missed that part. Well in that case I suggest connecting both outputs of SPDT switches and mapping the switched off -signal too. This requires that the sim actually has both on and off actions for the given switch in its controls-options. Most do not, or allow only a few actions mapped on and off, typically landing gear up (1) and landing gear down (2). With that, you don't need any additional software in-between.
LeLv30_Superbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
TigersharkBAS

Good advice. Thanks.