How To: Build a A-10 flight panel controller - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
TigersharkBAS

Reputation power: 11
TigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really nice
Default How To: Build a A-10 flight panel controller

Hi there,
This thread was started quite some time ago. It was designed to share with you my experience in building a toggle switch panel from scratch with little to no electronics experience (but I picked things up and did a lot of research on it).

There is still a lot of useful information in this thread but this original post has been moved to the recently announced Warthog Pit Wiki I created for the express purpose of capturing all the knowledge throughout these forums.

You can find the entire tutorial at this link:

Last edited by TigersharkBAS; 05-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
TigersharkBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Nightmare

Reputation power: 14
Nightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Nightmare

Nice!

http://www.69squadrone.it
S.O: Win7 64bit
MB: ASUS 1366 P6X58D-E (Audio card integrated)
CPU: INTEL Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8MB
GPU: GTX470 Gainward 1280MB GDDR5 "Golden Sample"
HD: Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS 7200rpm 16MB
RAM: DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 6GB Kingston
Accessories:TrackIR5 6DOF, Hotas Cougar.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
TigersharkBAS

TigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really niceTigersharkBAS is just really nice

Thanks Nightmare.

Obviously it still needs a little work. For the moment there is just a piece of paper providing the labeling of buttons and I need to work on the drawing around the L/G Horn Silence button. But things will progress :-)
Old 01-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Nightmare

Reputation power: 14
Nightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the roughNightmare is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nightmare Send a message via MSN to Nightmare

Good Job Tiger .....

http://www.69squadrone.it
S.O: Win7 64bit
MB: ASUS 1366 P6X58D-E (Audio card integrated)
CPU: INTEL Core i7 950 3.06Ghz 8MB
GPU: GTX470 Gainward 1280MB GDDR5 "Golden Sample"
HD: Western Digital 500GB WD5000AAKS 7200rpm 16MB
RAM: DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 6GB Kingston
Accessories:TrackIR5 6DOF, Hotas Cougar.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
soupyc

Reputation power: 9
soupyc has a spectacular aura aboutsoupyc has a spectacular aura aboutsoupyc has a spectacular aura about

Awesome!

My Rig: Intel i7-860 | EVGA P55 SLI motherboard | 4096MB Crucial DDR3 1333 | EVGA nVidia GTX 570 | Viewsonic 27" LCD | Saitek X52 Pro | TIR 4 w Pro Clip
soupyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
WarriorX

Reputation power: 36
WarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to all

Tigershark, can you please provide any details on the hardware you have so far?
WarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
TigersharkBAS

Sure Warrior. I am still planning this all in a detailed video and such but here goes.

The toggle switches are DTDP (Double Throw Double Pole) switches. The could also be single pole but I plan to find a use for the second pole later.

The USB interface is from GroovyGameGear.com. It allows up to 32 buttons and is a plug and play gamepad type interface.

The enclosures I bought from an electronics store in Australia but naturally any enclosure you can find will work.

The key challenge here is how to hook up a toggle switch with a USB controller so that it sends only a "pulse" like a button press and not keep the connection open. At the moment the interface thinks that you are continuosly holding down a button when throw the switch.

A-10 doesn't mind this so much but I am trying to make this as generic as possible so I will be posting my solution for making a toggle switch send a pulse using a very simple and cheap IC.

Need anything else?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
WarriorX

WarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to allWarriorX is a name known to all

No Sir! Thanks so much for the info...looking forward to the video's.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
TigersharkBAS

Moved videos to first post.

Last edited by TigersharkBAS; 01-25-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
WarriorX

Like I said in the you tube comments, thanks for taking the time to make these videos Tigershark. They really help me to see exactly whats involved in creating this panel, and that it is doable for a novice in electronics.