Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Stang

Reputation power: 0
Stang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default P-51D Cockpit Plans Here

P-51D Cockpit Plans for Sale.

Hi Guys,

UPDATED 9/15/2017 with Included Drawings List. See below.

P-51D Engineering Drawings List $39.95

Current Total Drawings Included - 220 (AND COUNTING)

The P-51D Engineering Drawings are made up of 65,580 individual Rivets, 15,333 Lines, Curves, Screws and Bolts, and 1,713 Graphics items like decals, stripes, access door markings, serial numbers, tail numbers, etc. This is to my knowledge the most complete and accurate set of P-51D drawings on the planet.

Included Drawings:
  • Front View gear down
  • Front View gear Up
  • Back View gear down
  • Back View gear up
  • Right View horizontal
  • Right View on the ground
  • Left View horizontal
  • Left View on the ground
  • Top View
  • Bottom View
  • All 3 Series of Propellers used

P-51D Cockpit Plan Drawings $49.95 (also includes the drawing set above)

The P-51D Cockpit Plan Drawings are made of up 55,933 individual lines, curves, nuts, bolts screws, etc. These drawings focus on the items contained between Fuselage Station 75.5 (Front Firewall to 216 (Back of the Cockpit Section of the Fuselage). This is to my knowledge the most complete and accurate set of P-51D drawings on the planet.

Included Drawings:
  • Large Size Cockpit Plans
  • Medium Size Cockpit Plans
  • Small Size Cockpit Plans

Fuselage Stations Included:

Station 75.5
Station 89
Station 104
Station 112.75
Station 116.625
Station 117.759
Station 122.25
Station 127.875
Station 127.935
Station 133
Station 143.437
Station 146
Station 155.5
Station 157.5
Station 164.125
Station 168
Station 184
Station 190
Station 200
Station 208
Station 216

Cockpit Items Included:
  • Front Windshield
  • Canopy
  • Main Instrument Panel
  • Main Instrument Panel Gauges and Dials
  • Main Instrument Panel Support Frame
  • Cockpit Upper and Lower Longeron
  • Cockpit Floor
  • Cockpit Base Assembly
  • Cockpit Base Support
  • Pilots Front Switch Box and Assembly
  • Left Switch Box Assembly (Radiator, Oil and Light Controls)
  • Armament Control Switch Box and Assembly
  • Oxygen System Diagram Plate
  • Aircraft Name and Serial Number Plate
  • Engine Limitations Plate
  • Flight Restrictions Instruction Plate
  • Pilots Control Pedestal
  • Carburetor Ram Air Control Levers and Knobs
  • Carburetor and Ram Air Filter Name Plate
  • Radiator Air Scoop Control Handle and Knob
  • Aileron, Elevator and Rudder Trim Control Wheel Assemblies
  • Aileron, Elevator and Rudder Trim Position Indicators and Panels
  • Flap Handle Control Lever
  • Flap Position Indicator
  • Flap Control Lever Detent(s)
  • Landing Gear Handle
  • Landing Gear Indicator Decal
  • Bomb Control Box
  • Bomb Control Handle Mechanism
  • Bomb Control Assembly Mechanism
  • Engine Throttle Control Handle, Knob and Assembly
  • Engine Control Quadrant Box and Assembly
  • Gunsight Range Control Handle and Assembly

Other Included Drawing Items:
  • 154 Individual Part Drawings including Cockpit Items like the Main Instrument Panel, Pilots Control Pedestal, Pilots Front Control Switch Box, etc (and counting)
  • 58 Assemblies Drawings
  • 32 Isometric (How To Assemble) Drawings
  • Complete Assembly Manual
  • And 1000’s of Dimensions covering all parts.

end of update.

If you’re looking for P-51D Mustang Cockpit Plans, look no further. I did the same as a lot of you guys and searched high and low for accurate P-51D Cockpit dimensions to make myself a pit. I finally gave up and bought the original P-51 A-D blueprints. On the DVD were close to 20,000 engineering drawings for all models. The problem was, so many “crucial drawings” and “assemblies” were either missing or just plain unreadable that it was frustrating.

I decided to painstakingly “re-draw” the pieces I needed from the information in the drawings. This was a daunting task and has taken me the better part of 6 months to complete, and I’m still doing some minor tweaks. The original drawings were not taken care of very well, and when they were digitized (scanned), whoever did it, didn’t bother to make sure the drawings were nice and straight on the scanner. Virtually all the drawings are skewed and or not in their original shape/size. If I rotated the horizontal lines to perfect 0,0 in the horizontal plane, then the vertical lines were not vertical, and visa-versa. Trying to “un-skew” old copies is a no-win situation. I ended up redrawing the parts needed for the Cockpits based on the dimensions and then customizing them for the cockpit plans.

The Full set of P-51D Engineering Drawings (PICTURES) is HERE

The Full set of P-51D Cockpit Plans are HERE -

You can get "EITHER" set of plans for $39.95 or BOTH sets of engineering plans (drawings) in AutoCAD 2013 format (DXF or DWG) or PDF format for $49.95

Below are a few example pictures.

Let me know what questions you have.

Below images are from the Cockpit Plans Set

Before anyone asks, I have to give credit to GeeDee and RaceGuy for their incredible P-51 Cockpit builds. It was their work that inspired me to create each of these drawings from scratch.

I used the original manufacturer's drawings for reference and dimension sizing and created each drawing in AutoCAD to be as exact and true to the original dimensions as possible. All of the Cockpit plans are designed to be manufactured with .5" and or .75" thickness materials, (Plywood or MFD), but it's up to you to decide what to build them out of.

All of these engineering drawings are "vector" drawing files, thus they can be scaled up or down to virtually any size you need, with no loss of detail or quality.

Let me know if you have any questions or PM me to order a set.

Thanks

Tejay

Last edited by Stang; 09-24-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Stang

Hi Guys

Here is a little more information on the P-51D Cockpit plans and Engineering Drawings.

The original drawings were not taken care of very well, and when they were digitized (scanned), whoever did it, didn’t bother to make sure the drawings were nice and straight on the scanner. Virtually all the drawings are skewed and or "NOT" in their original shape / size. If I rotated the horizontal lines to perfect 0,0 in the horizontal plain, then the vertical lines were not vertical, and visa-versa. Trying to “un-skew” old copies is a no-win situation. I ended up re-drawing the parts needed for the Cockpits based on the dimensions, and then customizing them for the cockpit plans.

I also decided to draw the full-size P-51D with all the panel lines, rivets (over 65,000 Rivets), screws, decals etc. I did these drawings is several views. Front, Back, Left side, Right side, Top and Bottom. So many of the drawings out there are terrible when it comes to capturing the accurate lines, curves and details of the P-51. Most of the drawings I’ve seen online are simply a .JPG or another image file type, that you can do nothing with. All the drawings I completed are in AutoCAD, version 2013 standard of .DWG and DXF. I can convert them to other files types if you need, but I can’t guarantee that all the information will port over properly. If you’re using AutoCAD, you’ll get all the information perfectly.

Every piece drawn is in Full Size, so you can reduce them if you wanted to make a RC model or print them on a smaller scale.

I ended up with 3 Cockpits for the P-51D; Small, Medium and Large. I figured this would allow most people to build exactly what they wanted and had room for.

The Small Cockpit is 48.0” Long X 34.1875” Wide X 48.4375” Tall to the Top of the Front Windshield. If you decide to build without the Front Windshield then the Cockpit is only 39.75” Tall. These dimensions include the Floor and supporting Frame underneath.

The Medium Cockpit is 100.1875” Long X 34.1875” Wide X 48.4375” Tall to the Top of the Front Windshield. If you decide to build without the Front Windshield then the Cockpit is only 39.75” Tall. If you choose to add a Canopy, then the overall Height would be 53.6875”. These dimensions include the Floor and supporting Frame underneath. This size Cockpit is long enough to include the full-size canopy should you choose to buy or make that piece. It would also include the ability the slide the Canopy Open and Closed however, the back of the Canopy would hang over the rear of your Cockpit about 22”, making the total length with the Canopy open, 118.0”.

The Large Cockpit is 141.6875”” Long X 34.1875” Wide X 48.4375” Tall to the Top of the Front Windshield. If you decide to build without the Front Windshield then the Cockpit is only 39.75” Tall. If you choose to add a Canopy, then the overall Height would be 53.6875”. These dimensions include the Floor and supporting Frame underneath.

The Cockpits are all designed to be very strong, yet light. Most pieces are built from .5” or .75” plywood or MFD (your choice). The Canopy Sills are strong enough to support climbing in just like in real life. You can also add a hinge to the 104 Station Ribs and a “door catch” at the 133 or 146 Station Rib to create a Car door like effect. Your choice.

All the Drawings of the full-size P-51D including Top, Bottom, Front, Back and both side views with all the details.

All the drawings for all 3 sized Cockpits, Small, Medium and Large including both piece/part drawings and assemblies.

The original AutoCAD .DWG and DXF file formats. This will allow you to print, change and or add anything to the plans anyway you like. You will also have the “DXF” file if you would like to take the plans to a wood working shop that has a CNC Router, and get the pieces cut out for you. Otherwise you can print the pieces at a local print shop, then cut them out and paste them to the wood. Finally, cutting the wood pieces out yourself.

And when done, you'll have a super accurate P-51D Cockpit!

The only restriction is that you don’t give away or sell the plans.

Next up, I’m working on the Spitfire LF Mk. IX Cockpit and when that’s done, I’ll do the BF 109 K-4 and the Focke-Wulf FW 190 D-9.

If you buy the P-51D plans, you’ll get any of the other "cockpit plan sets for ($25.00).

PM me for more information or ordering.

Happy Flying

Last edited by Stang; 08-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Raceguy

Reputation power: 5
Raceguy will become famous soon enoughRaceguy will become famous soon enough

HI Stang

Fantastic plans! I wish these had been available when I built my P-51 cockpit as they would have made my project much easier.

Again, great job.

Ed
Raceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Stang

Thanks Ed

You P-51 Cockpit is an extrodinary accomplishment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceguy View Post
HI Stang

Fantastic plans! I wish these had been available when I built my P-51 cockpit as they would have made my project much easier.

Again, great job.

Ed
Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Stang

Hi Guys

Here are a few CAD Pictures from the Assembly Process for the Small to Medium P-51D Cockpit.

This shows just how easy it is to assemble the cockpit.

Easy Cheesy!

Enjoy

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stang out

Last edited by Stang; 08-24-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
VO101_MMaister

VO101_MMaister can only hope to improve

Wow, terrific job Stang. As someone who works with engineering and knows Acad fairly well I can tell that this must have been a huge job. It looks very well done and detailed.

I am looking forward the bf109 and fw190 plans
VO101_MMaister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
N743TC

N743TC is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys
I bought the 51 plans from Stang he is a mechanical engineer.
His originals are in a cad program but he has provided them to me in PDF.
The CAD can be taken to a cabinet shop that has a CNC and have them cut,
but I intend to take the 1:1 PDF's to a print shop then cut the parts myself.
All I have to do now is lay them out on the material of choice and cut away. No
more trying to read blurred 70+ years old recopied microfiche plans.
At this point, he does not have the prints of the left side console or the right side switches
and etc, but will be providing them later.
Real nice and professional guy to deal with.
Tom
N743TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Stang

Thanks VO101_MMaister

I'm hoping the cockpit plans will help people get started building a relitively low cost and simple to assemble cockpit.

The hardwork is setting up addittional displays, switches and levers to work accuratley..."if you choose to use them"

You can always just build the cockpit, put your joystick and throttle in it and a monitor on top, and your ready to fly.

It can be as simple or complicated as you like...your choice.

I am finishing up the interior items now, Pilot Controls Console, Radios, Switch Boxes, etc. The MIP is finished and included with the plans.

I will provided updated CAD files for the addittional items as I make them, to the peopel that purchased the plans free of charge. This way you're always up to date and have the latest set of plans.

I am also working to finish up the Spitfire now. German Fighters Next!

Let me know if I can help.

Tejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO101_MMaister View Post
Wow, terrific job Stang. As someone who works with engineering and knows Acad fairly well I can tell that this must have been a huge job. It looks very well done and detailed.

I am looking forward the bf109 and fw190 plans
Old 08-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Stang

Tom

Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks again for helping with the Assembly Manual!

I can't wait to see your P-51 Cockpit project as it comes to life!

It's going the GREAT!

Blue Skys

Tejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by N743TC View Post
Hi Guys
I bought the 51 plans from Stang he is a mechanical engineer.
His originals are in a cad program but he has provided them to me in PDF.
The CAD can be taken to a cabinet shop that has a CNC and have them cut,
but I intend to take the 1:1 PDF's to a print shop then cut the parts myself.
All I have to do now is lay them out on the material of choice and cut away. No
more trying to read blurred 70+ years old recopied microfiche plans.
At this point, he does not have the prints of the left side console or the right side switches
and etc, but will be providing them later.
Real nice and professional guy to deal with.
Tom
Old 08-19-2017, 03:44 AM   #10
Bazooka

Bazooka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Bazooka

Truly awesome work Stang! Like you I bought those plans and after a lot of efforts to make things come out I realized there had to be a better way so I stepped back for a while to scratch my head and figure it out. Now I can move forward again as you have done all the hard stuff. Like you I hope it will start others building "warbird" pits and maybe a few of those who were working on things like the throttle and interior panels to finish there work on some of the hardware and make it available to us as you have. Well done!!!
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote