My New Cyclic Build with Magnetic Brake Trim - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #21
FragBum

Reputation power: 3
FragBum has a spectacular aura aboutFragBum has a spectacular aura aboutFragBum has a spectacular aura about

Damn that's looking good. I'm still procrastinating with my design. I know I am rough but have you thought of some steel bar instead of the pressed steel bit's for the electromagnets to attach to.

Although magnetic reluctance of the material used and the effect of residual magnetism on operation of the mag brake would have to be considered perhaps not mild steel, some other alloy.

I have procured some RHS 2mm steel tubing so I can fabricate a frame, but first of all is hopefully decent pedals.

Especially after seeing what BIGNEWY got to play with, shipping for that item is expensive for me but it looks like a nice platform to start with and I might have got some basic concepts from it, just saying.

Whetting my my thought process even more cheers.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
molevitch

Reputation power: 13
molevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura about
Default Update on Collective and Cyclic Mi-8/24

Hi Fragbum,

Yes, I thought about a longer piece of steel for the magnets, but as they really only move about 4-5cm each way, there is enough to attract to. Once I am actually using it, I may add longer bars.

Hey Trip, thanks for the words, yes, coming along nicely. I have some time right now for this project as I am waiting for some paid work to pan out.

Just rearranged the Mancave as well to be more efficient on space.

And here is a pic of my first casting of a thumb button for the hat-switch. Made by pressing warm Milliput into the mould, and leaving for a couple of hours. If anybody needs one please ask, I'll work out a price. Got to be cheaper than 3D printing! Looks kind of used and authentic too....

Now, BACK TO WORK!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb-hat-switch.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	164621  

Mi-24 Cyclic and Collective with Magnetic Brakes and Force Feedback
Mag Brake in operation
molevitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
molevitch

molevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guys,

I have just listed my Lynx Cyclic on eBay. It goes live on Friday night at 9.00pm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/232382330713?

Happy Bidding!

Mole

Mag Brake in operation
Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #24
molevitch

Default Started again with Mi-24 cyclic stick and collective

Latest assembly of the Mi-8/24 cyclic, now with rewired grip and connected up to the refined magnetic brake. The roll axis is connected to a triangular pivoted lever which transfers the force back wards, parallel to the force gradient of the roll axis. The Force Gradients, Magnets and electronic Boards will all be concealed under the seat.

Because the original Trimmer button on the grip is a Push-To-Make switch, I needed to add a relay switch to the electro-magnet circuit, so that on depressing the Trimmer button, the relay switches the magnets off.

It took me a full day of brain-wracking to work out the wiring of the 2-stage radio/ICS trigger switch. Finally I understood. The original mechanical switches with their springs and magnets are consequently retained, restored and functional.

Unable to find a Russian 2-way or 4-way hat-switch at a reasonable price, I happened upon a battered old Westland Wessex collective which gave me a 4-way hat switch for the grip, and which with minimal filing proved an almost perfect fit.

Having rewired or extended the buttons and switches, I remounted the grip into the stick, threading the wiring through to the outlets at the stick's pivot point, covering them with shrink tubing for protection and neatness. So far I have connected and tested only the Trimmer circuit. I have assembled an EDtracker box for reading the pitch and roll of the cyclic, which will fit neatly inside the gimbal. The other switches will be connected to a Leo Bodnar BU0836A board via Breakout Matrix board.

Hopefully all that will be completed tonight and tomorrow. Then further work on the setting-up of the collective will follow over the coming days.

Dam, cannot get the Youtube clip link to work! What am I doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mag-brake01.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	980.0 KB
ID:	165073   Click image for larger version

Name:	m-24 cyclic new03.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	895.8 KB
ID:	165074   Click image for larger version

Name:	grip wiring.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	991.4 KB
ID:	165075  

Name:	m-24 cyclic new01.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	998.5 KB
ID:	165076   Click image for larger version

Name:	grip001a.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	743.7 KB
ID:	165077  

Mag Brake in operation

Last edited by molevitch; 06-29-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: youtube!
Old 06-29-2017, 04:16 AM   #25
TripRodriguez

Reputation power: 4
TripRodriguez will become famous soon enoughTripRodriguez will become famous soon enough

Brilliant work, keep the updates coming. As far as your youtube link I've had the same problem and seen others have the same problem. A mod came by and fixed mine but I never learned how.

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYiSBwy0t0
TripRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
Vladinsky

Reputation power: 3
Vladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura aboutVladinsky has a spectacular aura about

This is looking to be quite awesome.

For youtube only use the last bit of the URL. (YOUTUBE)-gYiSBwy0t0(/YOUTUBE) as an example, but with the correct [ ] brackets.
Vladinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #27
molevitch

Default Youtube fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladinsky View Post
This is looking to be quite awesome.

For youtube only use the last bit of the URL. (YOUTUBE)-gYiSBwy0t0(/YOUTUBE) as an example, but with the correct [ ] brackets.
Hi Vladinsky,

Thanks for that! I will pass it on to Trip who had a similar problem.... Mine is working now, I think.

M

Mag Brake in operation
Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #28
TripRodriguez

TripRodriguez will become famous soon enoughTripRodriguez will become famous soon enough

Hi Mole, can you show me what you bought for bearings and how you installed them? This is the part of this type project I know nothing about.

Message received on the youtube links.

Trip

Old 07-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #29
molevitch

Default Magnetic Brake update.

I made my first flight test with my mag brake setup. Its F?*%ing AMAZING! The finest controls never before possible. Blows away MSFFB completely. No centre/deadzone slop, no aggressive kick-back. I have a little bit of fine tuning to do, but really, this is trimming like it should be. I can pretty much hover with hands off! The Gazelle has suddenly become a machine that can be controlled with EASE!. Haven't yet tried the Huey, but the Hip is a joy, hover over sling loads so ground crew attach, NO PROBLEM.

Basically its like a powerful centring spring joystick, but you decide where to put the centre. Miniscule fine control movements are possible because of the hard springs. You use trimmer a lot more but also for cruising its like, set it, let go, put your feet up!

And I am adding a handbrake....

I also am now using a set of BRD Kamov pedals. I decided to buy them since I was pretty much expecting to be trying to build an almost identical set. With parts and materials, and wastage, I figured Baur's kit was the more cost effective option. And they come with the logic board too. And are stunning....

So on to the collective. I will be adding a mag brake to this too. Why not? I need to customise a couple of PTM buttons and add a DPDT toggle switch too. Going to use Halls for the throttle and pitch. Nearly done.

There will be lots of spare button slots on my Bodnar board, so I am planning a handy button box as well. No hurry though....

I am seriously impressed with the mag brake result! It feels like I believe a real chopper feels from what I have read, and from studying the force gradient mechanisms I can find. I hope somehow to get feedback from a real pilot, but right now I don't know any!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5334.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	972.2 KB
ID:	165277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	165278  

Mag Brake in operation
Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #30
TripRodriguez

Mole can you get me a picture showing the detail of the linkage for the Force Trim units? I just want to see how you put it together.

Trip