My New Cyclic Build with Magnetic Brake Trim - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
molevitch

Reputation power: 13
molevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FSF]Ian View Post
Those might be double-pole switches. Either for redundancy (so it still works if one connection breaks) or it might switch both a higher voltage signal to do the work and a lower voltage signal to notify some flight computer about the switch state.

Either way, you can take a multimeter, find two wires that are disconnected when the switch is off and become connected when the switch is on, and ignore the other wires

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge at all about real-world avionics. I am just a computer scientist who tinkers with electronics in his free time.
Thanks [FSF]Ian,

I figured there may be some redundancy involved, and you may well be right about some info being passed to flight computers too. I will simply have to test and see which ones do anything. I also realise that I have far too much length of cable and need to shorten it anyway, so will be cutting off the connectors any way. I will save them for posterity....

Mi-24 Cyclic and Collective with Magnetic Brakes and Force Feedback
Mag Brake in operation
molevitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
Hansolo

Hansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really niceHansolo is just really nice

Beautiful work there @molevitch. When I assisted a good flying budy of mine implementing this collective, we chopped of the MIL spec connector simply because it was too much hazzle to find the female part. Then we too the collective head apart and basically just pulled gently in one wire at a time to map out the connections. As Ian mentioned there may very well be redundant connections which you may just want to get rid of.

I look forward for seeing more photos of your project.

Cheers
Hans
Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 PM   #13
molevitch

molevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura aboutmolevitch has a spectacular aura about

Well, my project may have just taken a turn, as I have just acquired a Mi24/Mi8 cyclic and collective off eBay.... At what I think is a fair price.

So I may be looking to sell my Lynx cyclic. Anybody interested?

Mag Brake in operation
Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #14
TripRodriguez

Reputation power: 4
TripRodriguez will become famous soon enoughTripRodriguez will become famous soon enough

I too need to build pedals, so looking forward to that part as well.

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYiSBwy0t0
TripRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
molevitch

Tomorrow I take delivery of Mi-24/Mi-8 cyclic and collective sticks.... To which end I have been searching for images of the mounting mechanisms for the collective.https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1496782661

Found a fascinating and useful blog about Mi-8s: http://szextant.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...116420eef6f9f9

Some of you might enjoy and find useful too.
https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1496782661
https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1496782661

Trip, I was thinking of doing similar pedals to UH-1 type, ie typical western chopper see-saw pedals but now I'm not so sure. Might build something more like the Russian designs. Or buy these.... sometime.
https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...1&d=1496783046
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hind sticks.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	163853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi-8-SAG-8_9_1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	163854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi-8_Pk-SAG_36466826.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	163855  

Name:	Mil-pedals001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	163856  

Mag Brake in operation
Old 06-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #16
TripRodriguez

TripRodriguez will become famous soon enoughTripRodriguez will become famous soon enough

Nice! Gratz on the real parts for the mi-8/mi-24! Super nice in that picture! Those pedals look like they would feel similar to the MFG Crosswinds actually, aside from the centering force.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #17
nguludi

Reputation power: 0
nguludi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by molevitch View Post
Well, my project may have just taken a turn, as I have just acquired a Mi24/Mi8 cyclic and collective off eBay.... At what I think is a fair price.

So I may be looking to sell my Lynx cyclic. Anybody interested?
HI Molevitch,

I might be interested in your cyclic. Are you in the UK?

Send me a private message?
nguludi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #18
molevitch

Default Russian cyclic update.

So, I have been busy with accommodating my new components.

The gimbal I had made for the Lynx cyclic did not fit the Russian stick. So I ordered a new piece of aluminium box section, this time 120mm x 60mm x 4mm. I also redesigned the pivot points to the top of the box, as the cyclic has its extension to join onto control connectors. I want to use this to connect to my own force feedback gradients for the pitch axis.

The electro-magnetic force gradients will now be mounted under my seat, and parallel, with the roll axis offset through 90 deg via an ingenious right angled triangular pivot.

The gimbal is mounted almost under the front of the seat, due to the shape of the stick.

Pictures in the morning to follow. Too late tonight! Too hot here in London, and heading for bed....

Mag Brake in operation
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
molevitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by molevitch View Post
So, I have been busy with accommodating my new components.

The gimbal I had made for the Lynx cyclic did not fit the Russian stick. So I ordered a new piece of aluminium box section, this time 120mm x 60mm x 4mm. I also redesigned the pivot points to the top of the box, as the cyclic has its extension to join onto control connectors. I want to use this to connect to my own force feedback gradients for the pitch axis.

The electro-magnetic force gradients will now be mounted under my seat, and parallel, with the roll axis offset through 90 deg via an ingenious right angled triangular pivot.

The gimbal is mounted almost under the front of the seat, due to the shape of the stick.

Pictures in the morning to follow. Too late tonight! Too hot here in London, and heading for bed....
So here are some pics. The gimbal with stick in place, and side attachment for link to force gradient.

Here also first stage of development of the collective from a co-pilot to main pilot. The throttle will have a damper which will attach to the base of the connector rod. The base of the connector rod will in turn attach to its own damper. All will become clear once done. The bracket is made in MDF, but will be beefed up to be more authentic with structural reinforcement, and paint. I will be adding engine controls as well.

And the grip has been stripped down for wiring identification. I acquired a 4-way hat switch from an old Westland collective which is a perfect 25mm barrel fit! From which I have taken a mould for the hat switch top, to cast a replacement for the missing one on the collective.

Now awaiting bolts and such to assemble the cyclic to the magnetic brakes. That will keep me busy for a day or two....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gimbal001.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	164567   Click image for larger version

Name:	gimbal002.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	612.0 KB
ID:	164568   Click image for larger version

Name:	gimbal003.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	652.8 KB
ID:	164569  

Name:	gimbal004.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	719.7 KB
ID:	164570   Click image for larger version

Name:	grip001.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	164571   Click image for larger version

Name:	hat-mold.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	614.2 KB
ID:	164572  

Name:	collective-001.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	723.8 KB
ID:	164573   Click image for larger version

Name:	collective002.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	724.7 KB
ID:	164574   Click image for larger version

Name:	magforce-gradients.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	768.7 KB
ID:	164575  

Mag Brake in operation
Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #20
TripRodriguez

All looking great!