RomeoKilo's Pit - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
7rooper

Reputation power: 12
7rooper is on a distinguished road

I use Thrustmasters MFD too. It bugs me to see how tiny they look and all the space they leave around them BUT they work greatly and building a good replica would need 66 extra inputs, plus a complicated PCB and a lot of more work. In my case, that would be the final part in my pit to upgrade. I'll stick to the TM ones for a while...
Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR
7rooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
BravoYankee4

Reputation power: 5
BravoYankee4 has a spectacular aura aboutBravoYankee4 has a spectacular aura aboutBravoYankee4 has a spectacular aura aboutBravoYankee4 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rooper View Post
I use Thrustmasters MFD too. It bugs me to see how tiny they look and all the space they leave around them BUT they work greatly and building a good replica would need 66 extra inputs, plus a complicated PCB and a lot of more work. In my case, that would be the final part in my pit to upgrade. I'll stick to the TM ones for a while...
Well, not that complicated. An Arduino MEGA and DCS-BIOS is all you need. Takes 5 minutes to configure

The Thrustmaser MFD's has 28 switches - and the MEGA board has 54 digital inputs. So either skip some of the (rarely used) buttons, or add an additional board (that can be used for other in-/output in the cockpit.
BravoYankee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
7rooper

7rooper is on a distinguished road

The A-10C MFDs require 10 more inputs than the TM for two extra rocker switch and two three position rotary selector for the OFF-Night-Day functions. If you want to implement backlit buttons then you're gonna need tactile switches and engrave/cut your own buttons. Those switches need to be installed in a square framed PCB just like in the TM MFDs
Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR
7rooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
Warhog

Reputation power: 7
Warhog is a jewel in the roughWarhog is a jewel in the roughWarhog is a jewel in the roughWarhog is a jewel in the roughWarhog is a jewel in the roughWarhog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoYankee4 View Post
Well, not that complicated. An Arduino MEGA and DCS-BIOS is all you need. Takes 5 minutes to configure

The Thrustmaser MFD's has 28 switches - and the MEGA board has 54 digital inputs. So either skip some of the (rarely used) buttons, or add an additional board (that can be used for other in-/output in the cockpit.
I can't agree more.

Or you could use a switch matrix for the buttons. Real easy to build. And since it would be unlikely you would ever press 2 buttons at the same time, you could eliminate the need for diodes. I plan on using an UNO as an HID device with an 8x8 matrix for the MFCD frames. Thats just 16 pins for 8 rows/8 columns. I'm also thinking about using my existing TM MFCD frames and cannibalize them for the main PCB. Then I would have the plug and play feature of the TM boards.

But when you think of it, adding another board is not an issue even from a monetary perspective considering how little they cost and how much money we seem to devote to this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burns
Folk are making panels but I havnt seen anyone making A-10 MFDs they just use the Thrustmaster ones?

You are all putting in heaps of effort, have the tools and capability to make them, but noone is?
I am...or I should say I will be. I just haven't got that far yet. The trouble I'm having is finding displays that are large enough but also with a 4:3 aspect ratio so they don't end up stick out the sides of the MIP. These damned widescreen displays are almost the only format available nowadays unless you want to spend big bucks for semi custom screens. I also don't want to move forward on them until I actually have the screens in my hands. Once that happens it won't be long until I post pics of some fully functional, full scale MFCD's.

BTW, RK, I must say that your Obutto project was what inspired me to build my cockpit. Your method of using aluminum angle extrusions and having a single post to support the assembly is very similar to how I am building my side consoles. It was a very clean, simple and cost effective solution. And considering I wasn't planning on adding sides to my cockpit, it was the perfect way to add consoles that could actually swing out of the way.

I must also compliment you on your work to date. It looks great. You do very nice work.

John

Pictures of my A10C Cockpit Panels under Construction:
http://s221.photobucket.com/user/MRA...ckpit%20Panels

"NEW PHOTOS" http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Pi...?sort=2&page=1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jfwall/

=31st Combined Operations Group=
A10C Warthog/UH-1 Huey
Warhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Flim

Flim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the rough

Well, you seem to be the first one to build my console ( besides myself and another guy)... You have done an excellent job! I'm almost jealous... ha

Keep up the good work and hopefully the plans made the project easier...
Flim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
VF-51_Cobraj

Reputation power: 0
VF-51_Cobraj is an unknown quantity at this point

Super looking pit!
VF-51_Cobraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
Thick8

Reputation power: 6
Thick8 has a spectacular aura aboutThick8 has a spectacular aura aboutThick8 has a spectacular aura aboutThick8 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flim View Post
Well, you seem to be the first one to build my console ( besides myself and another guy)... You have done an excellent job! I'm almost jealous... ha

Keep up the good work and hopefully the plans made the project easier...
I drew up just the base front panel some time ago but haven't yet cut it out. I may just buy yours as it is complete with all the layers. I'm using Reactor1's switch panels. Do you know if they will they fit your front panel?
AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1Ghz—Zotac Articstorm 1080ti GPU -- Swiftech Apogee Drive II pump/CPU block--XSPC memory block--16Gb (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4/3000– Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground
50" Vizio 4k Tv for main screen
22" Planar touchscreen for Helios
TM:WH, Saitek pedals, too many panels
Thick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Flim

Flim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the roughFlim is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thick8 View Post
I drew up just the base front panel some time ago but haven't yet cut it out. I may just buy yours as it is complete with all the layers. I'm using Reactor1's switch panels. Do you know if they will they fit your front panel?
Some might, but you really need to design your own or use Romeokilo's if decides to distribute what he has done.
Flim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
romeokilo

romeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMA View Post
That is a really nice pit you have got going there romeokilo Very nice indeed.

For the small 3-position rotary I have used these; http://www.mouser.dk/Search/ProductD...688-SRBV131803

Small observation which may just be my eyes cheating me. The toggle switch on your NMSP looks like the one installed is a 3 position. Unless I am mistaken it only a 2-position.

Looking forward for more pictures on your build

Cheers
Hans
Thanks for the link.
I ordered two and changed up my MFD brackets to suit. Painted as well.
Oh and the NMSP is a two position toggle- Its just the angle of the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burns View Post
Please can I ask, and absolutely no disrespect to your fantastic work.

Folk are making panels but I havnt seen anyone making A-10 MFDs they just use the Thrustmaster ones?

You are all putting in heaps of effort, have the tools and capability to make them, but noone is?

Dont want to shift it off topic so will ask you direct, (with the greatest respect), Romeo, did you think of making your own MFDs and why didnt you?

Your pit is awesome btw.
Thanks! No disrespect shown or taken mate.

As I said in my first post- I left the MFD holes in the MIP full size for a reason- I Intend to make my own MFD's!

Its on my to do list- but very far down it.

My main issue is PCB's- I don't know how to design or build them.
I will learn, but it will take me a while.
And when I do- CMSP, UFC and CDU (in that order). MFD's will probably be the last thing in the pit, because I have the thrustmasters that do the job almost perfectly.

And that is if I don't just forget about it and dive straight into an F/A-18C build.... (or did somebody say TOMCAT!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhog View Post
I can't agree more.

Or you could use a switch matrix for the buttons. Real easy to build. And since it would be unlikely you would ever press 2 buttons at the same time, you could eliminate the need for diodes. I plan on using an UNO as an HID device with an 8x8 matrix for the MFCD frames. Thats just 16 pins for 8 rows/8 columns. I'm also thinking about using my existing TM MFCD frames and cannibalize them for the main PCB. Then I would have the plug and play feature of the TM boards.

But when you think of it, adding another board is not an issue even from a monetary perspective considering how little they cost and how much money we seem to devote to this hobby.

I am...or I should say I will be. I just haven't got that far yet. The trouble I'm having is finding displays that are large enough but also with a 4:3 aspect ratio so they don't end up stick out the sides of the MIP. These damned widescreen displays are almost the only format available nowadays unless you want to spend big bucks for semi custom screens. I also don't want to move forward on them until I actually have the screens in my hands. Once that happens it won't be long until I post pics of some fully functional, full scale MFCD's.

BTW, RK, I must say that your Obutto project was what inspired me to build my cockpit. Your method of using aluminum angle extrusions and having a single post to support the assembly is very similar to how I am building my side consoles. It was a very clean, simple and cost effective solution. And considering I wasn't planning on adding sides to my cockpit, it was the perfect way to add consoles that could actually swing out of the way.

I must also compliment you on your work to date. It looks great. You do very nice work.

John
I've got lots to learn with Arduino, matrixes etc etc.

I opened up the thrustmasters with intent to put the guts of them into my own design- and immediately realized why nobody else has done it. The PCB and electronics inside are flimsy to say the least. Hacking them up like I planned would almost certainly result in their failure. I screwed them back together and went back to the drawing board.

Thanks Warhog- coming from you that means a lot.
Of note- the only reason I am building my own flaps, fuel and hyd guages are because of the results I have seen you were able to achieve! A lot of my panels and back lighting was designed after looking at yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thick8 View Post
I haven't tried, but I doubt Reactor1's panels will just bolt up.
It is very easy to open up Flims DXF files and edit them to fit your own panel designs. That's what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flim View Post
Some might, but you really need to design your own or use Romeokilo's if decides to distribute what he has done.
I am happy to release them if anybody wants them, but they are certainly not replica A-10 stuff so I'm not sure why anybody would.

Great work on that console as well. I made some changes but it was mostly cosmetic. I've got the side consoles to do- and i anticipate the purchasing the seat later on down the track

Onto the progress-

Simple Fire handle mechanisms done.
Still working on adding a spring clip to give it a distinct 'click' into position.
Also, sanding down the sharp edges, paint and switches.

Right now its all broken down for paint. Second coat is done and drying overnight.
Sand and re-paint again a few more times before re-assembly in the coming days.
I'll put some pics up of painting progress tomorrow.

Last edited by romeokilo; 10-18-2017 at 01:47 AM.
romeokilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:08 AM   #20
romeokilo

romeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the roughromeokilo is a jewel in the rough

Pulled apart ready for paint-

First Coat. I'll probably do about five coats. Bought a new Orbital Sander and a whole heap of 240 grit paper.

And I couldn't resist- an Aircraft interior style green in the hidden parts.
I figured it would keep the dust levels down on Electronics better than raw MDF, and it was also a color test for the green I had intended to use on the exposed ribs of the side consoles. I am not really happy with it so I think I will use a plain white on the ribs instead.

Last edited by romeokilo; 10-18-2017 at 01:49 AM.
romeokilo is offline   Reply With Quote