DCS-BIOS Discussion Thread - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
hegykc

Reputation power: 12
hegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nicehegykc is just really nice

The end stop would not be on the instrument, but rather inside, geared to the number of full revolutions for a specific instrument. So if the altimeter needs 10 full revolutions, I would make a geared end stop inside the instrument after 10 revolutions. As I said, the needle would not be totally fixed, so when it hits the end stop, the needle would stop, but the motor could continue spinning freely without damage. This would allow you to turn the motor 11 revolutions in reverse upon each start of the program, therefore returning the altimeter to zero regardless of its previous position, while using the cheapest non-positional steppers.

Pressure and numeric readout would also be mechanical, counter wheel systems, operated by two more steppers. So the altimeter in this case would have 3 steppers altogether.

I'll make some examples as soon as my workshop gets operational, so that anyone interested can try to get it working.

Last edited by hegykc; 03-28-2015 at 04:09 PM.
hegykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #22
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice

According to this thread, the A-10C can go up to 45,000 feet. Good luck designing a way to attach the needle that is snug enough not to slip during normal operation, light enough to allow the stepper to rotate while the needle hits the end-stop, and is still at that "optimal snugness" after the gauge was started up a few 100 times, doing 46 full rotations against the end-stop for each startup.

Your proposed design also complicates the software a lot. You need to figure out how to translate the values you get out of DCS (rotation of each digit on the numeric readouts, rotation of the pointer needle) into a target position for your stepper and make sure you don't miss any edge cases (watch what happens when you are at 0 ft MSL and adjust your pressure setting so the altitude being indicated on your altimeter is actually negative).
[FSF]Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #23
Bluethornton

Reputation power: 6
Bluethornton is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian et al
I understand that DCS Bios operates with Arduino boards, does it matter which ones? I was anticipating using 'Arduino compatible Mega 2560 ATmega2560-16AU Board', would this be a correct choice please. I am building (eventually) a full cockpit, starting with the electrical panel.

Thanks

Neal
Bluethornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice

The current version of the DCS-BIOS Arduino library works with any Arduino-compatible board (it only depends on pinMode/digitalRead/digitalWrite, the Serial library and the Servo library, which work everywhere, even on some Texas Instruments boards using Energia).

The next version will include some optimizations which will be targeted at ATMega328-based boards (Uno, Nano, Pro Mini, and most of the others) at first, but I plan to add support for the Mega 2560 later (won't be much work, I just need to order a Mega board for testing). It will still work on other boards, just without that optimized code (interrupt-based handling of serial communication) which is intended to solve the current reliability issues that arise when a lot of outputs are added, especially "slow" ones like displays.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
doveman

Reputation power: 11
doveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nicedoveman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FSF]Ian View Post
The next version will include some optimizations which will be targeted at ATMega328-based boards (Uno, Nano, Pro Mini, and most of the others) at first, but I plan to add support for the Mega 2560 later (won't be much work, I just need to order a Mega board for testing). It will still work on other boards, just without that optimized code (interrupt-based handling of serial communication) which is intended to solve the current reliability issues that arise when a lot of outputs are added, especially "slow" ones like displays.
Thanks Ian, the more boards it works with the better, as people can then use whatever board is the best fit (and most economical) for their project and it will be great to have Mega 2560 support as I bought a few of those a while back
Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3, 6950 2GB (unlocked to 6970, 880/1350Mhz), Win 8.1 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Spare/Backup rig: Phenom II X4 955 @3.5Ghz, MSI 990FXA-GD80, True rev. C HSF w/ Arctic F12 PWM fan, 8GB DDR3, HD6850 1GB, Win7 x64.
doveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #26
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

Just wanted to post a quick update because it has been quiet for a while.

I currently have master caution LEDs blinking on two Arduino boards that are connected over RS-485 to a USB-to-RS-485 adapter (only because I don't have one of those yet, I have programmed a TI Launchpad with a connected RS-485 transceiver to act like one instead).

The next step is to implement a protocol in the Arduino library and on the PC side that coordinates which board is allowed to transmit when, so I can get inputs working.

I am also reading up on the electrical design of RS-485 buses. So far, my test setup is working without termination (because my total bus length is maybe 10 cm) and without any biasing (which confuses me a little, maybe I am just lucky).
Old 05-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #27
flashtom

Reputation power: 4
flashtom is on a distinguished road

Hi Ian, how can i use DCS-BIOS to export CDU Display to my TFT.

My Android is UNO R3 and TFT is 3.6 ft,

I dont know to to use following code:

void onCduLine0Change(char* newValue) {
/* your code here */
}
DcsBios::StringBuffer<24> cduLine0Buffer(0x11c0, onCduLine0Change);
flashtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #28
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtom View Post
Hi Ian, how can i use DCS-BIOS to export CDU Display to my TFT.
Depends on what device your TFT is connected to and the type of connection (component video, HDMI, I2C, SPI, some parallel data bus, ...).

Quote:
My Android is UNO R3 and TFT is 3.6 ft,
That is conflicting information. Are you using an Android phone or an Arduino UNO R3 board? Also, what type of TFT display do you have, how is it connected and what controller chip does it use?

Quote:
I dont know to to use following code:

void onCduLine0Change(char* newValue) {
/* your code here */
}
DcsBios::StringBuffer<24> cduLine0Buffer(0x11c0, onCduLine0Change);
If you are using the DCS-BIOS Arduino library, you would replace the "your code here" comment with code that puts the 24-character string in the "newValue" variable on the first line (line 0) of your TFT display.

I don't know if an ATMega controller running at 16 MHz would be fast enough to run a CDU display (I have my doubts, but I have never tried). You may also be interested in agrasyuk's CDU build using a Raspberry Pi running a script written in Python.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #29
FatSlapper

Reputation power: 0
FatSlapper can only hope to improve
Default RPM output to com port/arduino

Can someone shed some light on doing this, or point me to some info?
Thanks Yall..
FatSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:05 PM   #30
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatSlapper View Post
RPM output to com port/arduino
Can someone shed some light on doing this, or point me to some info?
Thanks Yall..
Go to http://dcs-bios.a10c.de and read the User Guide. Then look up the gauge you want in the Control Reference.

If you want a more specific answer, we need more context. What have you read/tried before? Where did you get stuck? What specific gauge (in which aircraft) do you want?