DCS Bios - Windows 10 UDP communication - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Regnad517

Reputation power: 0
Regnad517 is on a distinguished road
Default DCS Bios - Windows 10 UDP communication

First off let me say Thanks Ian for the work you do!

I have read various threads on this but have not seen a solution that works for me yet. I have a windows 7 machine that everything runs fine on but I am building a new windows 10 A10C cockpit on and cannot get the UDP traffic to communicate.

I have no anti-virus running, I have disabled, applied all rules, disabled all rules on my firewall. TCP works great via developers mode on Chrome but cannot get communication via the CMD file. Data flows on it, telling me its reading from DCS, but button pushes do not reflect.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regnad517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Ranma13

Reputation power: 5
Ranma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura about

Are you using an Arduino? If so, can you look at the serial output using the Arduino software to see if it's outputting the proper messages?
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

Reputation power: 12
[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice

If you cannot get UDP to work, you can also edit connect-serial-port.cmd to sue TCP instead ("set PROTOCOL=TCP") as a workaround. If you do that, you will have to wait until the mission is loaded and unpaused until you start the script.

If connect-serial-port.cmd works with TCP but not with UDP, you have a known workaround and can continue to look for the problem that prevents UDP from working. If it does not work with TCP either, the problem is probably not with the network communication towards DCS but with the serial communication towards the Arduino.
[FSF]Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Regnad517

OK, so yes, I am running an Ardiuno Mega 256 for this particular one.

If I am correct, if it works in Developers mode via Chrome, that means it is working TCP. And it is indeed working in developers mode.

I will not be home until Friday to test changing to TCP, but would much rather get UDP working if possible. I will post results on editing the .cmd file for TCP after Friday when I get home.

Thanks for replies
Old 09-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Regnad517

So I guess I was wrong, TCP is not working either. Chrome develop page works but the arduino does not communicate with DCS, even starting cmd during gameplay like suggested.
Button pushes register in the command window but there is no dcs communication either udp or tcp.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
[FSF]Ian
ED Testers Team

Reputation power: 12
[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice[FSF]Ian is just really nice

Sorry, I am out of ideas. From your description, I would guess that something is blocking socat from connecting with DCS, but not Chrome, so it sounds like a firewall issue. But you already disabled that for testing.

The Arduino sketch must be correct because it works on the Windows 7 machine.
[FSF]Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
Dropship Pilot

Reputation power: 7
Dropship Pilot is on a distinguished road

Regnad,

are you using a 3rd party firewall (like something from a security package)?
If that's the case, be aware that disabling the 3rd party firewall may automatically enable the Windows firewall. This may be old news, but I thought it might be worth to mention.

Cheers,
Stefan
Dropship Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
Regnad517

Yeah its frustrating me badly. No 3rd party firewalls or virus protection here. Its a machine I built strictly for DCS.

I'm actually unsure if I am describing my issue correctly so gonna break it down again better.

So, for testing purposes, I have a simply uno with 1 button for Tacan test.
When I run cmd at the desktop, and push the button, I get feedback
ie. date, numbers, length from x to x, etc..

when I then run dcs bios, the cmd window goes to town like it is supposed to, number flying everywhere.

But when I push the button, it does not reflect within DCS.

As I stated, works great on my windows 7 machine.

Either way, thanks for all the help.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #9
Ranma13

Reputation power: 5
Ranma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura aboutRanma13 has a spectacular aura about

Use the Arduino app and view the serial output:

http://www.toptechboy.com/wp-content...rt-example.jpg

Tell us what it's outputting when you press buttons.
Ranma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Regnad517

Interesting, I get backwards question marks

Is that a baud issue and if so how do I rectify. All the settings I can find are at 9600

I did have a hell of a time getting a driver for the Uno on Windows 10

Edit: So when I change the baud in serial monitor to 250000 i get the proper output, not sure how to modify it on system though?

Last edited by Regnad517; 09-15-2017 at 08:28 AM.