Jester and the INS, Recalibration/Fix option

PSYKOnz

Hi guys, I would really love it if we could get Jester to recalibrate the INS on the ground or to do a nav fix in the air. In single-player it’s easy enough to hop in the back seat and do it especially after RedKite’s video

But in MP where we can’t just pop into the back seat and recalibrate/Fix, it makes long sorties tough, especially after a protracted dogfight.

For example, my and my flight did a 3-hour mission the other day where we landed rearmed and refuelled a few times. By the end of the flight my ins was so out of alignment that even basic tasks became difficult to do. It’s not the first time that a long flight has caused me

INS troubles and due to the cat's massive fuel load and tankings most of my flights are long.

On the ground, recalibration should be a pretty easy job just do a recalibrate like in startup.

For airborne nav fix maybe put down a marker called INSFIX to tell jester to put it in as a waypoint and have him do the fix on overflight? Or maybe have it so that when you tell jester to do a fix have him choose a location, load it in the nav system and then tell you where to overfly it for a nav fix that way he could potentially use whatever fix method he thinks would be best

Just a few thoughts hopefully there’s a way to implement it, it will really help the quality of life in a long mission

As per usual you heatblur guys are doing an epic job, loving every second of the cat. I really appreciate all your hard work

Edited by PSYKOnz

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

Please keep in mind that perform an INS update is just that, an update where the delta between the known position and where the aircraft thinks it is, is updated. Your attitude and speed are not updated.

If your ins is really screwed and you need to rearm refuel, put the parking on and do a full alignment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Yup, known issue. I've asked for even a simple "cheater" Jester fix that perfectly recenters your position, but no word on when that would be implemented.

Edited by mattag08

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

A radar or visual fix is difficult to implement with Jester, but a TACAN fix shouldn't be too hard to do.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Please keep in mind that perform an INS update is just that, an update where the delta between the known position and where the aircraft thinks it is, is updated. Your attitude and speed are not updated.

If your ins is really screwed and you need to rearm refuel, put the parking on and do a full alignment.

Fully aware of the difference, this is why I suggested a fix/update while airborne and a recalibration while your parked up rearming and refuelling

A radar or visual fix is difficult to implement with Jester, but a TACAN fix shouldn't be too hard to do.

agreed. however, I think that a visual one may be doable if player/jester places a mark on the map and tells you to fly over it, TACAN will for sure be the easiest for jester tho

Yup, known issue. I've asked for even a simple "cheater" Jester fix that perfectly recenters your position, but no word on when that would be implemented.

hopefully, soon we hear something because it's really annoying on longer flights.

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

agreed. however, I think that a visual one may be doable if player/jester places a mark on the map and tells you to fly over it, TACAN will for sure be the easiest for jester tho

Actually, you are right. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement a function for Jester where you can just tell him to hit the fix button when you're right above the fix point.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion guys, I like the idea. I will ask if we can do that or something similar, but an option to re-align on the ground would really be great, agreed.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I will ask if we can do that or something similar, but an option to re-align on the ground would really be great, agreed.

Indeed, but for different reasons than a nav fix. Realignment on the ground can be necessary if the INS gets damaged and you RTB and let the ground crew repair it. Or if you RTB with very low fuel and the engine flames out while taxing to the parking space.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bump

This would REALLY help especially because the waypoints in DCE campaigns or at all can be wildly off-

The plane slides on the deck sometimes without dce, and the carrier turns into the wind in DCE. I like that but sometimes the waypoints are way off even when I dont start up until the carrier stops turning.

Please guys? Even if jester cheats and just takes a few minutes to fix it one way, tacan is inaccurate far from a station, and radar takes longest.

Or whatever. Anything. Even now dropping in the back is hard for a normal person! Seriously - i can do viz with iceman really... itd just really help

• 3 months later...

TACAN would be the easiest option to implement, but that would also require that Jester input a waypoint that corresponds with the selected TACAN station. OFC, as AI Jester would know the TACAN L/L, but which waypoint would you want him to use? FP? I suppose you could use the F10 markpoint and assign it to a waypoint using the wheel, but having an automated option would be nice too.

The other option is a visual update, where you have a FP already in the flight plan (so it's already entered in the system). If it's a known visual position, you as pilot could fly over it, and Jester being AI (and hopefully aware of his in-game position in the abstract sense) would update the INS position at your closest point of approach.

EDIT: This could also work with the F10 markpoint entered using the Jester wheel, so long as Jester AI has positional omnipotence with regard to marking the closest point of approach at overflight.

Edited by Home Fries

the easiest would be a map marker for a visual fix point set as a temporary FP (fixed point), wherever the player wants. So you set map marker, select the create wp from map, select an option "visual fix" and Jester will automatically set the FP on that marker, perform the fix, once you overfly it, and then set FP back to its initial position. Something like that. But not sure, as always, anything Jester is very complicated, especially in terms of menu implementation. So we'll have to see. And, ofc, I cant promise for now that we will do it. We agree it is a great idea, almost a necessity on the ground, but atm the list is just very full. Keep refreshing my mind about it though, please, and I will see if it doesn't fit in somewhere - again, no promise for now. Thanks for both your patience and understanding.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/