Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Ships at Havararya should be persistent, worked last time I looked ... I will check it. Are you running the mission set to single player or multiplayer mode? Khasab gets busy when all flights come back to land, sometimes it will take a while for all flights to get their landing clearance.

Basically no I won't be reducing the air defences, the air defences are set as real-world as possible (same with Operation Clear Field) with the exception of the SA-11 site at Bandar Lengeh. Also waiting to be able to convert the SA-10 at Bandar Abbas to an SA-5 whenever the SA-5 gets released. This was one of the major reasons for implementing persistence in the first place so that progress on breaking down those defences would not be lost between play sessions.

Edit: I can confirm persistence for ships is working, take a look at your SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua file and see if the destroyed ships are listed in the file. If they are not in there, then the file must not have permissions to save.

Could running DCS in admin mode help with this?

Can you advise how to add AI wingmen to my flight please. cheers.

Could running DCS in admin mode help with this?

You should always run DCS in admin mode. Always.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Can you advise how to add AI wingmen to my flight please. cheers.

You would need to add a flight in the mission editor with one slot as client and the second (or more) planes as AI. Take a look on youtube there are plenty of mission editor tutorials.

Meanwhile I ran into a couple of snags at the last second on the Korean War mission, mostly to do with certain targets being near on indestructible to the MiG-15's weapons. I've had to swap a bunch of mission targets to alternative things that can be killed more easily in the interest of fun, but I ran out of time to test everything post-change ... so no release until next week more than likely.

This might be a completely ridiculous question to ask, but is it possible to make it so that when we completely clear all enemy forces form a base , that it then changes from red to blue or (blue to red) , so the faction that cleared the base can them use it to rearm/refule etc?. I'm not sure if this is currently possible but it would be super cool.

This might be a completely ridiculous question to ask, but is it possible to make it so that when we completely clear all enemy forces form a base , that it then changes from red to blue or (blue to red) , so the faction that cleared the base can them use it to rearm/refule etc?. I'm not sure if this is currently possible but it would be super cool.

I am fairly certain that this is standard behaviour for airfields in the simulation. However it is something I am not investigating for the sole reason that it would be a cold day in 'you know where' before the Iranians would let anyone take over any of their territory.

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if it is possible to continue playing in the same 'mission' having exited DCS.

I have died, chosen a new slot, and carried on in the same mission.

But is it possible to restart DCS (the next night / after a crash say) and continue where you were up to?

I have changed the missionscripting.lua to, but no luck.

"local function sanitizeModule(name)

_G[name] = nil

package.loaded[name] = nil

end

do

--sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

--require = nil

--loadlib = nil

end"

PS, the units I thought I had killed reappeared so not sure about how the persistence work?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Moo
clarity on persistence

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if it is possible to continue playing in the same 'mission' having exited DCS.

I have died, chosen a new slot, and carried on in the same mission.

But is it possible to restart DCS (the next night / after a crash say) and continue where you were up to?

I have changed the missionscripting.lua to, but no luck.

"local function sanitizeModule(name)

_G[name] = nil

package.loaded[name] = nil

end

do

--sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

--require = nil

--loadlib = nil

end"

PS, the units I thought I had killed reappeared so not sure about how the persistence work?

Thanks in advance

Needs to look like this:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

Also it will need regular windows permissions to save in your DCS installation directory. Some users have had to run DCS as administrator to get this to behave. See page 10 onwards in this thread if you get stuck.

Congratulations Surrexen !

I and my friends love what you have done with operation Snowfox and Clear Field, it's amazing !

You have started to do what it should have been done by ED for years… a dynamic theatre.

About sounds (missile launch, sam launch, splashes, etc...), is it possible to do a "standalone" script we can easily integrate in any mission created ?

It's really immersive and I would like so much to add such sounds quickly to my missions. DCS is so empty in terms of sound environment…

Thank you very much !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Congratulations Surrexen !

I and my friends love what you have done with operation Snowfox and Clear Field, it's amazing !

You have started to do what it should have been done by ED for years… a dynamic theatre.

About sounds (missile launch, sam launch, splashes, etc...), is it possible to do a "standalone" script we can easily integrate in any mission created ?

It's really immersive and I would like so much to add such sounds quickly to my missions. DCS is so empty in terms of sound environment…

Thank you very much !

I have PM'd you about this request.

Surrexen,

Awesome thank you.

This really is an amazing mission and total respect for doing it.

First time in ages I've had that nervous apprehension flying into the unknown leaving the airfield.

(Would love some more heli stuff if you do anymore in the future).

Surrexen,

Awesome thank you.

This really is an amazing mission and total respect for doing it.

First time in ages I've had that nervous apprehension flying into the unknown leaving the airfield.

(Would love some more heli stuff if you do anymore in the future).

I'm happy that you are enjoying it :) Huey's will be added into the next version as I picked up that module in the sale, going to wait for JF-17 to drop before pushing the update out. However this and Clear Field aren't well suited to helo's as it stands right now. I am planning on building more things for helo's to do when the Syria map comes out as on paper that theatre will be much better suited to helo operations (also because the US did have FARPs and things going on so it's more believable).

I'm putting a few finishing touches onto 'Operation Secret Squirrel' for the Sabres and MiG-15's. It's been a lot of fun testing the dogfighting in this one! It will however require the WW2 assets pack as I've had to use some of the WW2 infantry and flak to make it 'feel' right.

Edit: Operation Secret Squirrel is now live!

And more importantly, can we donate a few bucks to you/something for your efforts?

If you would like to donate, you could use https://www.paypal.me/Surrexen

Edited by Surrexen

Didn't see this addressed yet, but is it possible to have the persistent information for the missions saved in different named files? We switch between the Caucasus and PG mission, but it appears to save the info together. If they were separate, it would be easier to see what has and hasn't been hit.

vCAPT Scott "LoVis" Gray

Chief of Naval Personnel

Virtual United States Navy - VUSN

vusn.org

Didn't see this addressed yet, but is it possible to have the persistent information for the missions saved in different named files? We switch between the Caucasus and PG mission, but it appears to save the info together. If they were separate, it would be easier to see what has and hasn't been hit.

They are already saved to different names.

SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua

SnowfoxStaticInterment.lua

ClearFieldUnitInterment.lua

ClearFieldStaticInterment.lua

JupiterUnitInterment.lua

JupiterStaticInterment.lua

SquirrelUnitInterment.lua

SquirrelStaticInterment.lua

Working fine for me. Haven't had anyone else report anything like that either. Might need more information on exactly what caused this to happen on your end.

Edited by Surrexen

They are already saved to different names.

SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua

SnowfoxStaticInterment.lua

ClearFieldUnitInterment.lua

ClearFieldStaticInterment.lua

JupiterUnitInterment.lua

JupiterStaticInterment.lua

SquirrelUnitInterment.lua

SquirrelStaticInterment.lua

Working fine for me. Haven't had anyone else report anything like that either. Might need more information on exactly what caused this to happen on your end.

Thanks for the response. I will run some more test and see what is going on, but as of now I have the Snowfox files but not the ClearField.

Update: Found that the mission wasn't running due to no player connections, thus no files were created. Following a player connect the files were created as indicated. Thanks for some great missions!

Edited by sgray

vCAPT Scott "LoVis" Gray

Chief of Naval Personnel

Virtual United States Navy - VUSN

vusn.org

Hello @Surrexen,

I've just start playing your missions and I have few questions and suggestions:

Questions:

1. How is progress counted in your mission? Should we capture airfields? If yes what need to be done as just landing there nothing happens.

2. Is any final objective there besides the dinamic generated missions? For example conquer the entire map or something?

Suggestions:

1. Add Combined Armed module with the possibility to select a location to spawn and ask for ground support with a time delay. Allow player to take control on ground units.

2. Add some helicopters - eventually caring troops for seizing a location.

3. Add instructions about "sanitizing" on each post on user library. It will be more easier for us to get it right instead using the cumbersome search on the forum. Also you can add a link for general purpose to the forum topic in the same description.

4. Allow changing liveries.

5. Make airplanes Cold Start or maybe could be added a parameter somewhere allowing the server to define before start if they want a Hot or a Cold start.

Not aware from scripting perspective what can be done and how much compatible would be with the mission persistence, so please take my suggestions as they are, not critical at all.

Other than that I have enjoyed very much your missions and looking forward to use them more in a Open Beta Dedicated Server with several of my friends.

Thank you !!!!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Hello @Surrexen,

I've just start playing your missions and I have few questions and suggestions:

Questions:

1. How is progress counted in your mission? Should we capture airfields? If yes what need to be done as just landing there nothing happens.

2. Is any final objective there besides the dinamic generated missions? For example conquer the entire map or something?

Suggestions:

1. Add Combined Armed module with the possibility to select a location to spawn and ask for ground support with a time delay. Allow player to take control on ground units.

2. Add some helicopters - eventually caring troops for seizing a location.

3. Add instructions about "sanitizing" on each post on user library. It will be more easier for us to get it right instead using the cumbersome search on the forum. Also you can add a link for general purpose to the forum topic in the same description.

4. Allow changing liveries.

5. Make airplanes Cold Start or maybe could be added a parameter somewhere allowing the server to define before start if they want a Hot or a Cold start.

Not aware from scripting perspective what can be done and how much compatible would be with the mission persistence, so please take my suggestions as they are, not critical at all.

Other than that I have enjoyed very much your missions and looking forward to use them more in a Open Beta Dedicated Server with several of my friends.

Thank you !!!!

Answers to your questions.

There are a total of 120 targets/target groups in the mission. Once every mission is completed it will announce the campaign is over and reset progress back to zero so the next time the mission is loaded it will start from the beginning again. Airfield capture was never an intended feature of this scenario.

I do not own the Combined Arms module (yet), so won't be doing anything with this at this stage. If the Jagdpanther becomes driveable in Combined Arms ... then expect things to happen.

I plan to do more with helo's later down the line, as I've said before more likely when the Syria map comes out as I believe that map will make far more sense for helo operations using FARPs etc etc. I want to build something that will give the helo's meaningful tasks, without it costing too much in terms of performance.

I have updated the main download pages for my newer missions (Jupiter and Secret Squirrel) to have the persistency instructions on them and will be doing the same when I update Snowfox and Clear Field ... still awaiting the release of the JF-17 before updating at this point.

I never restricted the selection of liveries in the missions and I change liveries around all the time when I play around with it, I suspect you are running into a server side setting there.

At this point there isn't really a way to make hot or cold starts selectable based on a flag value or some similar thing, otherwise I would have hit that one already due to several people requesting cold starts.

Anyway, again ... the next update will not be until the JF-17 is out, and then it will basically be the Huey slots and JF-17 slots added in, plus a few minor code tweaks only. Once that is done, writing a Helo 'module' will be next on my list of things to do.

Thank you for your answers Surrexen.

This persistence mission type is extremely suitable to a "conquer the map" type of scenario, and this is where I came with that capturing airports query. Maybe when Sirian map will be out you might consider it, along with Combined Arms ;).

However, I have understood your plan and respect this, enjoying these great missions.

Keep up your great work!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Thank you for your answers Surrexen.

This persistence mission type is extremely suitable to a "conquer the map" type of scenario, and this is where I came with that capturing airports query. Maybe when Sirian map will be out you might consider it, along with Combined Arms ;).

However, I have understood your plan and respect this, enjoying these great missions.

Keep up your great work!

Yeah no worries, keep in mind that persistency was not part of the original design and was only added to the project relatively recently. Being able to work with persistent data has opened a lot of possibilities up, but everything takes time to build and test. Haven't had enough time lately to do anything significant haha. Anyway, glad you are enjoying it :thumbup:

Just a little bit of news to share. A number of you have asked for more things for helo's to do. I have been thinking about what exactly to build for this for a while as I did not want to make something that didn't have any real meaningful impact to the missions, and I think I have finally worked out exactly what and how it is going to work and what it is going to involve.

I now have a working basic prototype for the main code routines, still got a ways to go before I can implement it fully but it's coming along nicely.

Hi Surrexen

Really like what you've done with Snowfox so far. It became one of my favorite "missions"! :thumbup:

There's only one thing I kinda miss at this moment and that is moving ground forces. This got me thinking, and I'm just thinking out loud now :P, how awesome would the following scenario be:

For instance

When all red ground forces in a certain area are dead, this could trigger blue forces to activate and move into the "captured" zone. For an island like Abu Musa it could mean, blue ships moving from a UAE port to Abu Musa and upon arival trigger blue ground forces to "spawn" on the island.

One step further would be to then trigger red air and ground forces to make them try and re-caprure these zones. But I guess then things would get pretty complicated soon (too complicated for me at least hehe)

Although I understand this would be a lot of work, I expect it to be possible with regular triggers (no scripting), but again I could be wrong. Not sure though, if and how it would effect the 'sanitize' save function.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hi Surrexen

Really like what you've done with Snowfox so far. It became one of my favorite "missions"! :thumbup:

There's only one thing I kinda miss at this moment and that is moving ground forces. This got me thinking, and I'm just thinking out loud now :P, how awesome would the following scenario be:

For instance

When all red ground forces in a certain area are dead, this could trigger blue forces to activate and move into the "captured" zone. For an island like Abu Musa it could mean, blue ships moving from a UAE port to Abu Musa and upon arival trigger blue ground forces to "spawn" on the island.

One step further would be to then trigger red air and ground forces to make them try and re-caprure these zones. But I guess then things would get pretty complicated soon (too complicated for me at least hehe)

Although I understand this would be a lot of work, I expect it to be possible with regular triggers (no scripting), but again I could be wrong. Not sure though, if and how it would effect the 'sanitize' save function.

Moving ground forces is not really an option with this many active units on the map (at least on my machine anyway). Introducing blue coalition ground forces and having both blue and red ground moving against each other will cripple performance. The intent of the mission originally was to flesh out as much of Southern Iran's defences as accurately as I could find out and have everything active from the start so that the map does not feel empty.

There are so many things that 'could' be done, if performance was not a factor in mission design, but it is.

Moving ground forces is not really an option with this many active units on the map (at least on my machine anyway). Introducing blue coalition ground forces and having both blue and red ground moving against each other will cripple performance. The intent of the mission originally was to flesh out as much of Southern Iran's defences as accurately as I could find out and have everything active from the start so that the map does not feel empty.

There are so many things that 'could' be done, if performance was not a factor in mission design, but it is.

Yeah, I was afraid you'd say that. The mission is already quite heavy, especially for us vr users, so I could have guessed this. Ah well, maybe one day.

Still lotsa fun anyways!

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH