Laser Mark A Ship?

Bunny Clark

I'm making a mission where I'd like a ship to be laser designated for the player.

I've tried doing it with an AFAC, but it doesn't seem to see naval vessels as valid targets. I don't really want full FAC functionality anyway, since I'd rather handle the comms through scripted triggers.

Is there any way to simply trigger a laser designation on a specific unit? Ideally, I'd love to have a trigger action that causes a unit to be designated by a laser on a specified code. Something much like the SIGNAL FLARE ON UNIT trigger action, but instead of smoke color have a laser code field.

Is there any way to simply trigger a laser designation on a specific unit? Ideally, I'd love to have a trigger action that causes a unit to be designated by a laser on a specified code. Something much like the SIGNAL FLARE ON UNIT trigger action, but instead of smoke color have a laser code field.

If ME doesn't allow you to select naval groups when trying to set an AFAC, you'll need to use a script instead.

I wrote one such script a while ago, you might find it helpful, it's attached below.

It's a MOOSE script, though, so you'll need to load Moose.lua first, otherwise it won't work.

You'll need to set it up as well (fields marked in red are required, do not remove any quotation marks):

local Target_Prefixes = { "targetable object prefix / suffix" } -- Add all the relevant target prefixes / suffixes to this table. (Just give a common unit name prefix or suffix to any chosen targetable units in ME)

local AFAC_Name = "name of the AFAC unit in ME" -- This must be the unit name / PILOT name of your chosen AFAC unit in ME

local Custom_LaserCode = number -- Introduce a 4 digit number, 1688 is recommended. Note that Su25, Su25T and A10A clients will be given the code 1113 regardless (since it's the only one that works to some extent for them)

local Maximum_Detection_Range = number -- Introduce the desired maximum detection range of the AFAC unit (in meters)

Now, this script will only work for a single AFAC unit, if you lose it, game over (also, the AFAC unit must be alive when you run the script, otherwise it won't work).

It's all handled via F10 menu, all clients in the same coalition as the AFAC unit should have access to it.

Universal Buddy Lasing script test (event BIRTH).lua

Edited by Hardcard