Just a day in the life of an A-10C pilot....

Whiskey11

Some days in DCS are better than others... I was playing on the 107th Through the Inferno Server and this occurred!

I had just gotten done dropping 16000 pounds of laser guided whoop butt and was on my way back when a lone MiG-21Bis made it through the CAP around the attack point and made a go at me. I turned to face the call out by AWACS, he was 8nmi out. Switched to the AIM-9's and lined up the shot... saw him, pulled the trigger and......... nothing.... crap, switched it back to SAFE on my way back to base (wasn't anticipating a surprise MiG-21Bis)... turned immediately and dumped chaff and flare... no joy, his missile found home.

50Sdgba.png

VsdnYOs.png

GArdkSO.png

9a2vcFA.png

Well crap... I'm alive! Pull the Fire Ext handle on the left engine since she's fully burning. Hydraulics are up, fuel is staying up, power is up, and controls are responding... lets try and land this old girl! No flaps... but airbrakes. Gear is missing tires, so no point having them down. Gudata was about 35nmi away. Went to declare an emergency and the high band radio is down... well crap... Checked the radio stack and the low band is working, still chimed in on the ground attack channel.

"Whiskey-1-1 radio check on 124"

<silence... static... silence>

<little more panicked> "Whiskey-1-1 radio check on 1-2-4"

<crackle on the radio> "I read you 5 by 5 Whiskey 1-1"

"Copy, my high band is down can you declare an emergency landing at Gudata for a bent A-10"?

"Standby 1-1"

<A few nervous moments pass while I'm quadruple checking instrumentation>

"State your emergency again?"

"I've taken a heater, down one engine, no flaps, no gear. Aircraft is responsive to input, good on hydraulics, good on fuel, no ordinance. Left Engine fire extinguished. Need priority landing at Gudata"

"Wait one"

<again nervously checking instrumentation to see if she'll make it>

"Your emergency has been declared, god speed and good luck!"

I began double checking the instrumentation and noticed that the HUD is all X'd out, basically useless... none of the manual gauges are reading except the right engine gauges (the good engine) and the vertical velocity gauge. No altitude, no airspeed, no bank/pitch/roll yaw... Guess we are landing this girl the hard way!

Lined her up and declared on 124 again asking if they could declare my final.

"Whiskey 1-1 requesting declare my final"

"You got it!"

After a few tense moments, airbrakes deployed, belly landed with minimal damage!

UUttUO0.jpg

Nothing some duct tape and spray paint can't fix!

Thanks to [107th-R] Satchking 905 for the pictures!

Edited by Whiskey11

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

Great job!

You know the old saying: Any landing you can walk away from... :smartass:

:joystick: :pilotfly:

You got it! :) I've returned home more times in an A-10C than I have in any other aircraft. Built like a tank!

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

That'll buff out...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

That'll buff out...

Yeah, just rub some dirt on it, it'll be fine.

-:thumbup:-

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack