How to get AI wingmen to Taxi after the leader?

Rudel_chw

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my AI wingmen (on a Group of 4 aircraft, me plus 3 AI wingmen) to Taxi behind me ... as soon as I get ATC clearance to taxi, they zoom ahead and pass before me ... I have no choice but to follow them at the back of the pack, and when two gets to the Runway threshold it just sits there.

My workaround so far is to put them on parking slots on a different taxiway, and block their way to the Runway with an armor vehicle. Then, when I'm ahead of them, a flag moves the armor away so the wingmen can continue, this time behind me.

Is there a more elegant solution? .. my workaround is ugly with that armor on the middle of the taxiway ... here is a video of it:

IqiewyYC-94

Also, a second problem that I have is that the wingmen are waiting too long before entering the Runway, I'm 20 miles away from the airbase by the time the fourth ship takes off ... is there a way of having them take off closer to one another?

Thanks a lot for any help, as I'm still fairly newbie to mission design :)

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would'nt know the answer to your question unfortunately but a suggestion i have is how about making your work around look less ugly?

If you put an airfield car (hummer?) or maybe a single soldier (being a ground marshaller) can you then get the same effect?

Would at least look less ugly I think.

Good luck

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

If you put an airfield car (hummer?) or maybe a single soldier (being a ground marshaller) can you then get the same effect?

Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a try ... I used the tank because I had read, on this Forum, that sometimes the AI wingmen try to run trough the smaller vehicles or foot soldiers ... but hadnt actually tried it myself ... will give it a go.

The simple answer is don't request taxi until you're ready to taxi.

I do ... but even so, my AI wingmen are quicker than me :)

The way I handle your second question is to slowly orbit the base until everyone’s wheels up, then head out.

Thanks a lot, will do that ... pity that there seems to be no other way :)

Best regards and thank you all for the suggestions.

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Ummm....silly question but, if this is a mission you’re designing, why not just place yourself so that you’re at the head of the line? Just select start locations that work to your advantage.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Ummm....silly question but, if this is a mission you’re designing, why not just place yourself so that you’re at the head of the line? Just select start locations that work to your advantage.

Its just because I wanted to start near my flight group, like in real life .. parking them within the airfield, on far away places, didnt seem right.

Anyway, I re-tested and turns out that a single soldier is able to get the planes to stop the taxi :)

bRK0YKT.jpg

:D Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, I'm finally starting to feel at ease within the Editor ... its almost as much fun as sim-flying.

Cheers!

Would you consider sharing the mission? I'm curious as to why the AI aren't waiting for you to start moving before they do. If you're all together, it seems like there shouldn't be an issue.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

bRK0YKT.jpg

I instantly imagined the pilot honking like crazy and cursing when I saw that :D

I'm finally starting to feel at ease within the Editor ... its almost as much fun as sim-flying.

Cheers!

If you are having fun with the cumbersome ME, you'll definitely love scripting.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves, one thing at a time... you still haven't seen the ME's dark side :smilewink:

Would you consider sharing the mission? I'm curious as to why the AI aren't waiting for you to start moving before they do. If you're all together, it seems like there shouldn't be an issue.

Certainly, thanks for the interest ... here it is:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26g_5_TxwK84Sb05u9LQ

I've also included the aircraft liveries, you can just extract the zip into /saved games/DCSxxx/ and it will add both the mission and the skins.

This mission takes place at dusk, so you will need the VirPil airfields objects, as I made use of their light towers ... the standard lights of DCS are currently too weak. This Mod can be downloaded from here:

https://virpil.com/en/news/58-vpc-airfield-equipment-dlya-dcs-world

It can be placed on Saved Games, so it doesnt impact the Integrity Check.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Certainly, thanks for the interest ... here it is:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26g_5_TxwK84Sb05u9LQ

I've also included the aircraft liveries, you can just extract the zip into /saved games/DCSxxx/ and it will add both the mission and the skins.

This mission takes place at dusk, so you will need the VirPil airfields objects, as I made use of their light towers ... the standard lights of DCS are currently too weak. This Mod can be downloaded from here:

https://virpil.com/en/news/58-vpc-airfield-equipment-dlya-dcs-world

It can be placed on Saved Games, so it doesnt impact the Integrity Check.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Thanks. Time of day is no issue. That can be changed. It'll probably be tonight or tomorrow before I can take a look at it.

_____

Not sure why you placed yourself away from the rest of your flight in slot 31. But if you move your aircraft to slot 20, your follow the leader problem is solved. You'll be at the head of the line.

The wingman logic is simply to taxi with collision avoidance. They don't really "follow" anyone. But they won't start moving until you do and that's the key.

_____