Real Time Raytracing

Is it worth buying a RTX graphics card or should I buy a gtx at a much lower price?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No one can really say yet, they were just announced today and still a few weeks out of folks getting them in hand.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm personally going to order one as soon as I have the funds and my preferred brand releases the version I want, but I already knew I that well before I knew nvidia was going to be like "yo .. we want to change the rendering game say hi to RTX"

And that's mainly because my monitor @3440x1440 wants more GPU power, and now I've started using an Odyssey for simming.. where my 980Ti is maxed out in that case as well.

I'm looking at it this way - it should certainly outperform the 10 series (even if by how much is still up in the air) even in games that don't support RTX, and I'll be able to enjoy our first glimpses at real time ray tracing in games that support it.

I almost got the gas for a 1080Ti throughout this year but there's just no way I'll ever be convinced to ugrade gpu's without skipping at least one generation, especially where you have to fight with resellers jacking up prices.

Don't get me wrong - this is just what I'm doing. For flying in DCS? If you have a 10 series card definitely wait to see what people say about them.. it could be some years before developers produce titles that utilize this tech. Although it was honestly impressive the list of titles that are already slated to use it. And that's in no way trying to speak for what plans ED might or might not have with this in the future.

If you're comfortably sitting on a pascal gpu i'd advise holding off til people have had a chance to review and benchmark these things.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

If you're comfortably sitting on a pascal gpu i'd advise holding off til people have had a chance to review and benchmark these things.

exactly!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Is it worth buying a RTX graphics card or should I buy a gtx at a much lower price?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd say wait until 9/20 when people here start getting their RTX cards, then you would see the real world performance difference. Unless you're flying in VR, I think that the 1080Ti is already a fine choice.

I have a Gigabyte OC version coming and will definitely do some benchmarkings with VR (Vive Pro) especially in areas where my current GTX 1080 struggles.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

what a day to be alive.. this has so much potential,

But Personally I'm waiting with baited breath I want to see what this with the next rift has in-store for DCS and the Gains in FPS and Resolution with the new hardware bring.

I may even wait til next year before on jump on the RTX wagon since Id like to see if the advertised candy really does anything different. just my 2 cents.

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

I'll wait for the benchmarks before I decide if i'll take the plunge. If they show significant improvement over the their predecessors in 2d an vr, then i'll probably pick up the ti which will be a substantial improvement over my current card. I was hoping nvidia would have put more GDDR6 on the cards: 11gb for the 2080 and something > 11gb for the Ti.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

I'll wait for the benchmarks before I decide if i'll take the plunge. If they show significant improvement over the their predecessors in 2d an vr, then i'll probably pick up the ti which will be a substantial improvement over my current card. I was hoping nvidia would have put more GDDR6 on the cards: 11gb for the 2080 and something > 11gb for the Ti.

I agree with this statement ... will wait for benchmarks and probably go Ti.

Saw this post in reddit and thought I would post it here since it is relevant:

I've seen a few people dismissing real time ray tracing, saying it won't be adopted by developers since it's not universal. However, RTX is universal, since it uses DirectX and Vulkan's ray tracing APIs (technically Vulkan's isn't out yet but RTX will support it when it is).

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/raytracing

This means that whenever AMD gets around to releasing a real time raytracing technology, developers will have to do very little or possibly zero work to make it cross-compatible. Plus, Unity, Unreal, and others are already working on implementing DirectX ray tracing, and therefore RTX.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I'd say wait until 9/20 when people here start getting their RTX cards, then you would see the real world performance difference. Unless you're flying in VR, I think that the 1080Ti is already a fine choice.

I have a Gigabyte OC version coming and will definitely do some benchmarkings with VR (Vive Pro) especially in areas where my current GTX 1080 struggles.

Logic would dictate that the RTX 2080, priced a bit higher than the GTX1080Ti currently would beat it on existing games performance. If they released something that cost more but performed worse, they wouldn't sell many. Also the USB-C VR connector might hint at new VR headsets round the corner, so that's probably worth having.

2D gaming doesn't really need any more grunt from the GPU, but I think if your main interest is simulations in VR then you would certainly benefit.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

As I suspected their is new footage of the new tomb raider with ray tracing and a 2080ti can’t even keep 60fps.

Keep in mind ray tracing is new, and there is a chance the gpu needs updated drivers, etc.

But, I agree... if turning on ray tracing means sub 60 fps most people will just have it off until more powerful cards come out that can handle it.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

As I suspected their is new footage of the new tomb raider with ray tracing and a 2080ti can’t even keep 60fps.

Mid 40's FPS isn't bad for that type of technology. Wow, people were once happy to have 45 FPS on games. Ray tracing will give more realism and gameplay mechanics. It's a game changer, but will take years to fully develop.

i agree on the graphics realism but i don’t understand how it helps the mechanics (physics?).

how does that work?

Being able to spot enemies or objects from the reflection in windows, glasses, water surfaces is a whole new way to play games especially FPS and would give unfair advantage against people who play in traditional rasterization mode.

In terms of realism, my face lit up the entire time while watching the demos from Battlefield and Mechwarriors games. The entire scenes just became alive whenever the RTX mode was switched on.

This is an exciting tech, might be even more important than VR because I can see it being more widely used in the future. It may or may not be ready for prime time right now but real-time ray tracing is here to stay and it will only get better as the technology matures.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Highly suggest a full read of the following

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/275859-dont-buy-the-ray-traced-hype-around-nvidias-rtx-2080-family

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've read that article, and I've read other articles stating otherwise. Until benchmarks are here with actual evidence and numbers, I'm holding judgement. Here is someone saying something completely different. I just want to see the benchmarks. But ray tracing is the future and will be here in a few years if AMD can get their act together.

Highly suggest a full read of the following

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/275859-dont-buy-the-ray-traced-hype-around-nvidias-rtx-2080-family

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah yeah whatever... today’s top graphics card wil be tomorrow’s paperweight. Welcome to PC gaming :music_whistling:

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

GPU's aren't the most expensive cards that I have seen. Once I saw a 30k DeutschMark Fax card on the wall of an admin I know. he said, "wrong order, ehhh "

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Being a bit of a VR nut, the phrase that I noticed and that not a lot of commentators appear to have picked up, was "foveated rendering". When combined with eye tracking, that would dramatically reduce the need for as much graphics horsepower to render the same scene, whether or not it is ray traced.

I'm wondering and hoping that this might signal the arrival of the next generation of headsets, maybe at next month's Oculus Connect 5, but either way, when they do arrive, foveated rendering will give VR another boost, when compared to monitors.