The stutters and pauses are just killing this game

What the title says.

As nice as it is to get things like the tail wheel of the spitfire fixed, there are things that are clearly more important....

If it's a case of simply the game needing a beast of a system to run smoothly can we have the ability in the options to scale the number of modeled buildings, I really don't care about seeing individual houses on the PG map, it adds basically nothing to the game other than demanding more and more memory, so like with the trees sliders and the grass and clutter sliders, can we have one to get rid of/reduce the number of unimportant structures that have to be taking up memory?

I agree, I don't know why anyone wants to be gazing at buildings and cities in combat, and especially why so much effort is going into their production?? Whilst you can't fault the level of detail and functionality of the aircraft in DCS, the performance of the new platform created to fly them in is now far from enjoyable. The best thing I found to do is fly in Nevada or out at sea, where there's no buildings or clutter to drag performance down.

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

I relented and disabled MSAA, and it's been a massive improvement to FPS. It even feels like the game loads in a bit faster though I don't see how that would be related. Now the only freezes or stutters are purely from the server, not as they were when doing basic things like panning around with the camera.

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

Maybe not helpful, but do you have DCS installed on a SSD?

It makes a very big difference in reducing the "short pauses" and "stutters" that are often caused by map loading, or whatever.

Speaking for myself I was having a lot of those, until I switched DCS from my HDD to my SSD.

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Yup, on its very own SSD, and my OS on another SSD, with the page file on a HDD, 16GB ram i5 @4.2, 2 GTX 970's.

@ Adixylian It's not that units are being loaded it's the sheer number of buildings that add nothing to the map, as a test to see which settings may help it I only had my own aircraft in the map, absolutely nothing else.

MSAA does help, that's gone, but the main culprit is the urban areas, out to sea or out over the desert, or near some of the small islands, it's smooth, but as soon as you start loading up all those buildings, that's when trouble starts.

Having all those houses is nice, but it's not needed and I feel it's harming performance for no good reason.

So a slider to reduce the number of less important buildings would really help, we really don't need to see 30,000 houses...

Move your pagefile back to the OS SSD.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Indeed, keep your pagefile on the SSD! put it back on the O/S SSD.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Have to agree i've very peeeed off right now with this beta i just purchased the Harrier and the Persian Gulf modules and together they run like dog poo.....constant micro stutters rendering any serious flying impossible.......my 2.5 runs smooth as silk with the harrier in NTTR and Cauc on max settings.......is it just a combination of the harrier and persian gulf or this darn beta ?......my system is a killer I7-8700K,32GB RAM,ALL SSD's...Nvidia 1080 i cannot believe that my system isn't powerful enough as i can run 2.5 perfectly on max.......

Have to agree i've very peeeed off right now with this beta i just purchased the Harrier and the Persian Gulf modules and together they run like dog poo.....constant micro stutters rendering any serious flying impossible.......my 2.5 runs smooth as silk with the harrier in NTTR and Cauc on max settings.......is it just a combination of the harrier and persian gulf or this darn beta ?......my system is a killer I7-8700K,32GB RAM,ALL SSD's...Nvidia 1080 i cannot believe that my system isn't powerful enough as i can run 2.5 perfectly on max.......

FWIW, I've had great luck with this driver. (Note, I fly VR only). YMMV.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210003&highlight=397.93

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

FWIW, I've had great luck with this driver. (Note, I fly VR only). YMMV.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210003&highlight=397.93

Wow thanks man,huge improvement just installed them now........should have checked the graphics drivers before going on a whinge lol sry ED..the micro stutters are still there but no where near as bad....only happens now and then as opposed to constant stutters like before....guess now its time to tweak the graphics setting see if i can't get some stick time this week lol

Recently, I think I have removed all of the stutters from a multiplayer server possible, I have never had so much going on and so little stutters before, im not plugging my server, you need to see this.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

I mostly did it by removing all the script load overhead most MP servers have and then preloading all the models in a sort of graveyard (so nothing loads while your flying.)

I haven't seen it run this good since the 1.5.6 days

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

... it's the sheer number of buildings that add nothing to the map...

Sorry man, you’re absolutely wrong. They add a thing called immersion. It’s a core component of any sim and I absolutely appreciate the amount of work and detail that have gone into the new maps. In fact one of the biggest disappointments of the last few months is the lack of upgraded buildings and urban areas in the new Caucuses map. To me it hurts the immersion having this beautiful new terrain texture full of trees and high mountains but still populated with towns from LOMAC. I wouldn’t delete a single street sign from PG or Nevada.

But I agree with you they should be user scalable, and right now there are undoubtedly performance issues. PG is barely two weeks old for pete’s sake.

Improvements are coming. And yeah, it’s often two steps forward, five back with ED, but we’ll get there. Just chill for a little bit, quit trying to unmake our new map, and enjoy your BETA access as best you can.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Have a look at my fix... https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208120 I was getting microstutters and constant trackIR disconnect / reconnects. This fixed it for me.

I have tried all the BIOS tweakings, USB settings etc. in the end this is what definitively got rid of the fix 0.5 sec slow downs to single digit FPS rates

However I think I might have very minor aircraft load in and some scripts causing very few minor hiccups.

Cheers!

System: I7 7700K - Delidded. TT Cooler. 32GB 3000hz Ram, Gigabyte Aorus Ext 1080TI, SSD's, Corsair Gold 850W PSU, Philips 4K 40inch 60hz monitor, Dell 22inch Touch + Helios, Rift S, VKB MCG PRO, TM TPR pedals, TM Warthog throttle with slew mod and twist repair

Wow thanks man,huge improvement just installed them now........should have checked the graphics drivers before going on a whinge lol sry ED..the micro stutters are still there but no where near as bad....only happens now and then as opposed to constant stutters like before....guess now its time to tweak the graphics setting see if i can't get some stick time this week lol

Good to hear buddy! :thumbup:

What is a “page file”?

Reserved space on your hard drive, used as an extension of your RAM. Data that is not used in your RAM is moved to the page file, (to keep your RAM free for active programs, improving their performance).

If you haven't touched any of your O/S settings, then your page file is on the same hard drive of your O/S. (which is just fine). If your O/S is on a SSD, all the better for performance.

Sorry man, you’re absolutely wrong. They add a thing called immersion. It’s a core component of any sim and I absolutely appreciate the amount of work and detail that have gone into the new maps. In fact one of the biggest disappointments of the last few months is the lack of upgraded buildings and urban areas in the new Caucuses map. To me it hurts the immersion having this beautiful new terrain texture full of trees and high mountains but still populated with towns from LOMAC. I wouldn’t delete a single street sign from PG or Nevada.

But I agree with you they should be user scalable, and right now there are undoubtedly performance issues. PG is barely two weeks old for pete’s sake.

Improvements are coming. And yeah, it’s often two steps forward, five back with ED, but we’ll get there. Just chill for a little bit, quit trying to unmake our new map, and enjoy your BETA access as best you can.

+1 very early days

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

No, you're absolutely wrong, adding detail in that you will only ever see and appreciate with one of the least used modules in the game (Combined Arms) is wasteful of resources, having the ability to scale it back for performance is a good idea.

Edited by Cap'n kamikaze

No' date=' you're absolutely wrong, adding detail in that you will only ever see an appreciate with one of the least used modules in the game (Combined Arms) is wasteful of resources, having the ability to scale it back for performance is a good idea.[/quote']

:doh:

There might be people flying lower than 15000 ft ocassionally... just ask the Gazelle pilots or the Mi-8 drivers. Or the Huey guys ... even the Blackshark fans.

And if you don't believe in helos, then there are still those who love to demolish ground targets with fast movers. Ok, A-10C and fast mover might be debatable, but still there are more A2G attack pilots, who fly more different aircraft than I can be bothered to list here now, that miiiiight disagree with your PoV.

... and at those altitudes the thing to do would be reduce the visible distance, so maybe the best thing to do is have it scale the detail level in conjunction with the altitude of the player, at near ground level you'd only need maybe 10 miles in detail, and actually at ground level only 2-3 miles, and at high altitude you don't need to be seeing individual houses for tens of miles.

I'd much rather have reliable performance than detail I'm never going to see, or if I am going to see it limit its scope to what I actually can possibly see.

Edited by Cap'n kamikaze

... and at those altitudes the thing to do would be reduce the visible distance' date=' so maybe the best thing to do is have it scale the detail level in conjunction with the altitude of the player, at near ground level you'd only need maybe 10 miles in detail, and actually at ground level only 2-3 miles, and at high altitude you don't need to be seeing individual houses for tens of miles.[/quote']

Alright bud, I get it. You're frustrated about the performance of the map that just entered beta. But everything you described in the above quote is exactly how the DCS maps already work. Burj Khalifa resolves ~35nm, surrounding buildings ~25, and individual houses look like they appear at around 10nm. What you want to happen already happens. I'd be willing to bet that performance optimizations are ED's number one priority with the PG map (and 2.5 in general, hopefully).

By all means, report the bugs and performance limitations you encounter. You know, to improve this beta map for actual release. But making broad, baseless claims that grrrr nobody needs all this detail grrrrr is, as I said, absolutely wrong.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Yep, I upgraded to a 1080ti so I can use the extreme viewing distance with a monitor or high settings with the rift. You should have the viewing distance on low if your system only has the minimum spec's for DCS. Plus they are still in the kitchen cooking this thing from what I can see in the last few builds going off my very little testing running max settings.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link