DCS A-10C Warthog Producer Note 2 Available

Wags

Well, you can download HD-resolution mp4 files from YouTube, Note 1 is 56 MB and Note 2 is 128 MB, so they're not too compressed. But you loose all the switch notes on the second video, and I think that's one of the reasons why they haven't been uploaded yet - ED is probably looking into how to add notes directly on video, not afterwards on YouTube. I might be wrong though. :)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the walk through. Being an avionics engineer there is one thing that is bothering me. during the start up you refer'd to the EGI and E-gi(phonetic). We call that the E-G-I as in letter called out. Other wise spot on Wags. I am drooling over this sim. I am now in process of setting up a pit again. so I am telling my wife it is all your fault....lol:megalol:

Also are you modeling in alignment times for the Inertial navigation portion of the EGI system. I believe it is 8 minutes for the system to align and be ready for use.

Now where is that speed brakes control again?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I still have that sim on a 1/25 floppy. lol

This bad boy was my favorite:

:)

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Ha! A-10 Tank Killer, an awesome thing. I remember being angrily corrected by the virtual flight instructor (yes!) when going over 15K ft, shouting "This is no F-15, come back down here immediately!!".

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I loved the walk through. Being an avionics engineer there is one thing that is bothering me. during the start up you refer'd to the EGI and E-gi(phonetic). We call that the E-G-I as in letter called out. Other wise spot on Wags. I am drooling over this sim. I am now in process of setting up a pit again. so I am telling my wife it is all your fault....lol:megalol:

Also are you modeling in alignment times for the Inertial navigation portion of the EGI system. I believe it is 8 minutes for the system to align and be ready for use.

I fly an aircraft with EGIs and both our avionics techs and operators call them as Wags did- an "eggy". Amongst other operators, system engineers and the manufacturer (northrop grumman) I have always heard them called "eggys" so I guess its each to their own, but it is a pretty popular term.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

15000' is a very safe place to be for the A-10C, as long as there are no medium altitude or better SAMs. 22000' is better against certain types of SHORAD, making the A-10 invulnerable to air defenses that cannot reach this high.

Ha! A-10 Tank Killer, an awesome thing. I remember being angrily corrected by the virtual flight instructor (yes!) when going over 15K ft, shouting "This is no F-15, come back down here immediately!!".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I heard (and even Flight Manual states it) that Warthog is pretty unstable when you are flying high, and almost impossible to trim to fly "hands off".

???

Quote from the Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War

The trim mechanism... is the subject of one of the standing jokes about the A10. It is said to be so bad that when the aircraft is being fired at by AAA (antiaircraft fire) there is no need to perform violent evasive manoeuvres or "jink". Instead, all the A-10 pilot has to do is let go of the controls and let the plane fly "hands off".

:D Hehe. Almost as good as joke about A-10 being the only USAF plane that receives bird strikes from behind during flight.

:doh:

I have not heard of that. Around Kosovo they patrolled as high as 29000' in A-10A's. You do need to pay attention at high altitudes since it is not easy for an A-10 to climb up so high, while losing altitude is rather easy to do, even by mistake. Flying up there needs to be smooth and disciplined.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Flight Manual, section 6

FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS

The A-10 possesses good low speed stability characteristics and handling qualities, especially at low altitudes. However, neutral or even negative stability will be encountered at high speed and at high altitude. Hence, the A-10 is difficult to trim and keep trimmed. Three external fuel tanks decrease stability, especially at higher speeds and aft cg's.

and later:

WARNING

Aircraft stability is decreased at altitudes above 15,000 feet.

and:

The aircraft can be flown into the PSG (post-stall gyration) condition however, with large sideslip angles or if large roll rates are demanded when the angle of attack (AOA) is high. The natural resistance of the aircraft to enter this out-of-control regime decreases as altitude increases and / or if the yaw damper system is off or malfunctioning. The altitude effect is caused by the less effective vertical fin with normal indicated airspeeds at the higher altitudes as well as the increased propensity for higher AOA's at the higher altitudes. At higher altitudes (15,000 feet and above) aircraft maneuvering is normally accomplished at lower indicated airspeeds and higher AOA's but with the capability to still generate high yaw and roll rates. These are the ingredients for yaw-roll coupling . Yaw-roll coupling is a rapid exchange of AOA for sideslip. AOA's of more than 20° are easily generated at the higher altitudes, and if this AOA is then converted (through a rapid roll) to sideslip, a departure will result.

Yeah, I know they did it, and they still do it, but it apparently requires a bit more care and workload than most modern aircraft.

• 2 months later...
Flight Manual, section 6

Yaw-roll coupling is a rapid exchange of AOA for sideslip. AOA's of more than 20° are easily generated at the higher altitudes, and if this AOA is then converted (through a rapid roll) to sideslip, a departure will result.

duh!! :music_whistling:

This will happen in a C172 also :megalol:

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

duh!! :music_whistling:

This will happen in a C172 also :megalol:

No. C172 wing, like many other GA AC wings, is designed as a spin-loving-dumbass resistant wing. In other words - nothing to compare.