Please fix. "Generator failure" problem - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Havremonster

Default Please fix. "Generator failure" problem

Please fix. "Generator failure" problem when using hot start. It can not be too much to ask for can IT?
Havremonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Weta43
ED Testers Team

Do you mean how you get a "Generator Failure" message if you add collective too fast & let the RPM fall below where the generators drop off, or some other issue ?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

That was my first thought as well, but now I think he means the pre-programmed, initial state of the whole powerplant system when the heli spawns in hot-start missions, which is not optimal at the moment.

Yesterday I checked the default ground start missions (training and instant) where the engines are already running. Looks like the heli always spawns with low collective and throttles on 75-80'ish % (and THAT's the problem). If we use "synchronize HOTAS with controls" option and crank the throttle to max, so that governor starts working, after hitting the "Fly" button the engines fluctuate in RPM and spool up to their max RPM, which takes quite a few seconds. That will cause decrease of rotor RPM down to about 90% depending on outer conditions. Not a big deal on the ground, as we're still above generator disengage treshold. Eventually both engine and rotor RPM get up to their recommended values.

However, the same throttle state when spawning in the air forces the player to either drop collective in order to wait for the engines to spool up (thus causing significant loss of altitude), or to overload the rotor if some collective was added before hitting "Fly" button (thus the heli will not descend that much, but rotor RPM will surely drop below generator disengage treshold).

All aircraft in DCS have some initial throttle/propeller/rotor values preset when spawning in the air and they usually don't cause any gameplay issues, but in Mi-8, with its distinctive generators-vs-rotor relation, air starts mean either loosing altitude, or loosing generators, or both.

Last edited by Art-J; 06-07-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Art-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
rge75

I noticed that, too. I simply raise the collective only slightly. The rpm seems to increase after that. When the rpm is high enough, I commence the take-off.

Most of the time I anyway do a cold start. However, it's indeed something that could be improved.
rge75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
Gerbilskij

I second this request too, it would help to have the possibility reliably to start in mid-air sometimes (without generators' failures), particularly for mission testing purposes.
Gerbilskij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:45 AM   #6
msalama
Veteran

I usually start up cold, but regardless, did several hot starts from a runway yesterday while testing some config tweaks. The rotor RPM stayed above the generator cutoff level each time. Didn't try an airstart so no idea about those. Well just my £0.002
Old 07-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
thrustvector

the only one I have problem with is the mission "convoy hunt", that's an immediate failure and drop pretty rapid as soon as you press fly as youre in mid air
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote