P-51B/C Maybe? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #1
Ercoupe

Default P-51B/C Maybe?

I know we already have a Mustang. But the earlier models have always been my favorites. Is there any love out there for the B and C? Same airplanes, of course. Only difference was that the B models were built in Los Angelos and the C's in Dallas. Not sure why that warranted a designation change.
I would think you could get that out with your eyes closed. You've already done most of the work. Would love to see it.
Ercoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 AM   #2
Tread_Head57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
I know we already have a Mustang. But the earlier models have always been my favorites. Is there any love out there for the B and C? Same airplanes, of course. Only difference was that the B models were built in Los Angelos and the C's in Dallas. Not sure why that warranted a designation change.
I would think you could get that out with your eyes closed. You've already done most of the work. Would love to see it.
Oh, there's plenty of love. Just not a high likelihood of getting a full fidelity module. Higher priorities out there for ED (they can only work one module at a time) and I doubt a 3rd party would pick it up as there would be a limited return on investment.
Tread_Head57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
DD_Fenrir

I'd love to see a B/C - my favourite also. Plus it would be even more suitable for the current Normandy Map.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 AM   #4
saburo_cz

+1 my the most favourite plane
Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
Buzzles

There is/was a model for a B/C in the game files. It's old though, iirc it was from before ED decided to do the 'D.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzles View Post
There is/was a model for a B/C in the game files. It's old though, iirc it was from before ED decided to do the 'D.
+1 I've opened up the model. It's extremely rudimentary. Basically just the model. Very very few nodes and empties. Surprised ED has never removed it.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Stickshaker

I would instantly buy a -B or a -C, but I, too, am afraid that the expected revenue for ED will be insufficient to warrant development. But it never hurts to express interest - you never know.
Stickshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
Ala13_ManOWar

Yep, I guess for the user it would be a too similar aircraft to the one we already have while for the devs it'd be probably not that much and would need a lot of work. But I'd buy a B/C the same I'd buy other variants of the other models.

S!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

There's hope for it to be finished one day, as least for AI:

I had toy'd w/ texturing and re-enabling it to play with, which showed merit, but some things need to be done in 3DS Max for it to be fully functional:

Early Texture Test (Shares a lo of the P-51D UVWs)

Exported new UVW's to Correct the rear fuselage textures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ModelViewer 2017-09-15 14-47-36-39.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	183989  
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro

Last edited by SkateZilla; 05-06-2018 at 06:52 PM.
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
xvii-Dietrich

I've been doing some searching to try to figure out the differences between the B/C and D variants (or the Mk III and Mk IV, as the RAF seem to refer to them). One site I found was: http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/variants There is also a comparison chart here: http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/specifications

From what I can tell, the primary difference is in the reconfiguration of the canopy. There also seem to be some technical modifications to improve reliability. And the armament has been upgraded from 4x.50cal to 6x.50cal. The engine and basic aircraft configuration is the same though

There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the B/C over the D variants, but the differences to me seem minimal. Have I missed something?
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote