Rudder trim even when turned off? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
Pizzicato

Question Rudder trim even when turned off?

I was flying the first mission of the Spring Tension campaign in 1.5 tonight and noticed something that seemed odd.

As I was flying, I was regularly hitting the trim button (with the Heading and Pitch/Roll autopilot channels engaged). I had real trouble landing at the final outpost and felt that the Hip was really fighting me. As soon as I landed, I hit Trim Reset and watched as both the cyclic and the rudders re-centred. This was strange to me as I have Rudder Trim unchecked in the options for the Mi-8.

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something about how this aircraft works?
i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster MFDs | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift

Last edited by Pizzicato; 10-03-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Pizzicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #2
Pizzicato

Is anyone else seeing this?

Is it actually a bug or a feature?
i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster MFDs | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift
Pizzicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Rogue Trooper

Yes this is a bug on the MI-8. The rudders will sometimes trim even though you and me have switched off rudder trim.

It is a sporadic problem but it does happen and I reset trim in flight to clear all settings.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Flagrum
Veteran

As far as I understand it, this is caused by the autopilot. I think, the thread where BST talks about all those small updates they implemented for 1.5.0 explains this a bit - that is why they implemented that virtual flight engineer that takes care of adjusting the AP with those dials on the middle console.

Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

Not quite a bug, but rather a feature, coupled with imperfection of our computer controllers.

If the heading channel of the autopilot is turned on, it uses rudder trim when excessive torque has to be counteracted to maintain heading (vertical take-offs and landings, high speed level flights). At least this is how it worked previously, haven't tested heading AP channel in 1.5.
Art-J is offline   Reply With Quote