F14 vs F18 case 1 landing difficulty

Mr_sukebe

I'm going to update the Landing Paper with Lens Roll angle and hook to eye this weekend. The DCS ship is far too forgiving of bad technique.

Is the wire-catching logic in DCS based on the boat or the aircraft? When I'm not on speed in the Hornet, I tend to not catch the wire, yet on the Tomcat I'm never on speed but catch the wire almost every time.

run come save me

Precisely.

For some reason I don't know, as the Hornet's tailhook rebounds from the Carrier deck very easily and misses the wires, the Tomcat's tailhook doesn't.

This... Λ Λ Λ

The way some of you land, the Tomcat should either shear the CDP or the hook point, or pull the whole stinger off of the keel.
So the trap dynamics in the HB F-14 aren't correct?

Because like others I can trap with, not on speed AoA, meatball "clara" & the hook never bounces, I always get a trap?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

This... Λ Λ Λ

So the trap dynamics in the HB F-14 aren't correct?

Because like others I can trap with, not on speed AoA, meatball "clara" & the hook never bounces, I always get a trap?

It doesn’t sound like it. Until it is, you need to touchdown w/n two knots of on-speed and with a stabilized ball in the lens. There are a lot of factors that determine whether or not it’ll be a successful trap. I’ve seen a hook-skip bolter over all 4 wires. The best you can do is put all the odds in your favor by putting it in the wires on speed, at the right VSI, on centerline.

The DCS lens roll angle isn’t models AFAIK. Some behavior is DCS carrier modeling.

The F14 is still early access. Changes are a comin’.

I am looking forward to better grading systems and/or damage modeling, specifically in the F18. It's going to be quite the wake up call for many of us, especially the ones that formed bad habits.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Might this point to a larger issue with the trapping dynamics of the Tomcat? Like others I have frequently seen bolters with the Hornet if parameters are not met exactly. With the Tomcat on the other hand I have not yet seen a single bolter unless the wires were completely missed high/long. The hook will catch a wire every single time.

Might this point to a larger issue with the trapping dynamics of the Tomcat? Like others I have frequently seen bolters with the Hornet if parameters are not met exactly. With the Tomcat on the other hand I have not yet seen a single bolter unless the wires were completely missed high/long. The hook will catch a wire every single time.

That's true, maybe they haven't fully implemented hook skip and all? I don't know since it is early access.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Had a good chat with a fellow pilot last night.

Our mutual view is that the F14 right now is inappropriately forgiving of landing speed, weight and AOA. Right now, I can successfully trap at 180 knots and with a LOT of weight.

To us, that doesn’t seem correct and probably needs an overhaul.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have a much easier time with the 14 carrier landing due to it not being as easy to get behind the power curve with it. Heck you got the speed brakes out cause it wants to fly so bad. Tons of power if you get a little low and DLC is like cheating if you are high.

Rudder and stick planes you can put where you want them without the FBW always dampening what your asking for at least in sims.

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog