F10 map we can draw over it.

Stratos

ED made some addition ans changes in Mission Editor, hope next month they can add this really needed feature. Will cross my fingers.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I dont think we need ED.

I think this is one of those core features for the mission designer and immersion tools.

When I didn't fly in VR, I had a nice checklists printed and made a good cards, very easy to pick up for the used module and do it by hand.

For mission designing I preferred a printed large map (A0 size) of Caucasus as with plastic wrapping it was possible draw with a pen on it and then wipe clean. It was far nicer to design missions first on the table by drawing the actual symbols on it.

Then when acquiring a digital tablet, it became little easier to do on that with a pen. So when I went to design missions, I could just keep the map separate as the situational awareness for the whole picture what was to be done.

But when I started to fly in DCS, all things changed. No more kneeboards, no more checklists, no more anything outside the HMD and HOTAS.

And when Oculus brought in the possibility to pin any window from desktop to VR.... It was game changer! Checklists as PDF files just right there. Possible place and resize it as wanted. It takes little time to open reader on desktop and resize it to size before launching DCS, but it is worth it.

Now, give a actual interactive kneeboard in DCS. That is attached to the knee position. Let easily open/close the folder, to have easy access to specific DCS documents by default. Have possibility to have custom PDF files in the specific directory for it too.

But it is not just about the kneeboard. It is as well about the mission designing in the briefing phase. ED has this idea to make the briefing rooms where players go, have the VoIP etc. We need as well the room where everyone in MP/SP would sit and the mission would be visible on the wall as a map, or on the table middle of the room where players joining to the mission would be able see the flight plans.

The same room would be used to as well report back after successful landing the spotted enemy positions, targets destroyed, shot down enemies etc. If you die, or eject, you don't have change to add anything on the map (so you can't come back after death and tell everyone "there and there are those things, that #¤$% killed me!" unless you just use VoIP and tell from the grave. But for the overall campaign, mission designing, preparations etc. It would be required IMHO that DCS supports all the tools to bring players together.

A tool where the marked areas are transferred automatically on the kneeboard of each member who chose the mission. Automatic data updates on successful landing and rearming/refueling (intelligence officer brings you latest information to you if so cheated).

This would as well eventually lead to new mission types like Recon flights. Viggen becomes quickly far more interesting to fly as you can gather the ELINT information and get it after successful landing to the briefing room automatically. Recon pods with cameras etc would be required to get the units more accurately placed on the map, otherwise player can just set "around this place" kind by their own memory.

There is no way that third party software could integrate so well and dynamically to DCS in SP/MP like if ED does it properly.

For some it might be "just let me draw on the map with wanted color" like using a MS Paint, but if done properly from the start, it is far more effective feature for everyone.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

An upgraded F-10 AWACS view would logically most likely come with the upgraded Mission Editor, these two things probably share some code.

I have big ideas for the F-10 View, I need to do a good and clear wishlist post, sooner or later.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I think this is one of those core features for the mission designer and immersion tools.

When I didn't fly in VR, I had a nice checklists printed and made a good cards, very easy to pick up for the used module and do it by hand.

For mission designing I preferred a printed large map (A0 size) of Caucasus as with plastic wrapping it was possible draw with a pen on it and then wipe clean. It was far nicer to design missions first on the table by drawing the actual symbols on it.

Then when acquiring a digital tablet, it became little easier to do on that with a pen. So when I went to design missions, I could just keep the map separate as the situational awareness for the whole picture what was to be done.

But when I started to fly in DCS, all things changed. No more kneeboards, no more checklists, no more anything outside the HMD and HOTAS.

And when Oculus brought in the possibility to pin any window from desktop to VR.... It was game changer! Checklists as PDF files just right there. Possible place and resize it as wanted. It takes little time to open reader on desktop and resize it to size before launching DCS, but it is worth it.

Now, give a actual interactive kneeboard in DCS. That is attached to the knee position. Let easily open/close the folder, to have easy access to specific DCS documents by default. Have possibility to have custom PDF files in the specific directory for it too.

But it is not just about the kneeboard. It is as well about the mission designing in the briefing phase. ED has this idea to make the briefing rooms where players go, have the VoIP etc. We need as well the room where everyone in MP/SP would sit and the mission would be visible on the wall as a map, or on the table middle of the room where players joining to the mission would be able see the flight plans.

The same room would be used to as well report back after successful landing the spotted enemy positions, targets destroyed, shot down enemies etc. If you die, or eject, you don't have change to add anything on the map (so you can't come back after death and tell everyone "there and there are those things, that #¤$% killed me!" unless you just use VoIP and tell from the grave. But for the overall campaign, mission designing, preparations etc. It would be required IMHO that DCS supports all the tools to bring players together.

A tool where the marked areas are transferred automatically on the kneeboard of each member who chose the mission. Automatic data updates on successful landing and rearming/refueling (intelligence officer brings you latest information to you if so cheated).

This would as well eventually lead to new mission types like Recon flights. Viggen becomes quickly far more interesting to fly as you can gather the ELINT information and get it after successful landing to the briefing room automatically. Recon pods with cameras etc would be required to get the units more accurately placed on the map, otherwise player can just set "around this place" kind by their own memory.

There is no way that third party software could integrate so well and dynamically to DCS in SP/MP like if ED does it properly.

For some it might be "just let me draw on the map with wanted color" like using a MS Paint, but if done properly from the start, it is far more effective feature for everyone.

But if you are going to the lengths you are describing, then a “draw on the map with color” will be 5 years away. The OP was asking for a shared space of the F10 view to draw on for briefings.

But if you are going to the lengths you are describing, then a “draw on the map with color” will be 5 years away. The OP was asking for a shared space of the F10 view to draw on for briefings.

Exactly!

• 4 weeks later...

With updates coming more apart, I hope they have more time to add such a feature. Start with the hability to draw lines, two colours, see how it works and what people thinks about it, then expand it. It cannot be so difficult.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

7 years later and this is still a more than valid request.

Whatever the feasible solution would or should look like could be discussed endlessly but achieve nothing but create a pretense by getting lost in tangents.

Instead a few simple points of notice should be admonished.

• this is - as with many other things - another blatant omission of Eagle Dynamics
  • any solutions has to be ingame usable, preferably in-mission for clients with accessible tools serverside, tools and not lua scripting hindering performance
  • this is not a question of "per module" but a centralized feature suite, with modules (be it Eagle itself OR third party providers) being able to dock their module-side functionality based on authoritative standards and with access to proper documentation (proper documentation and Eagle, now there is joke for all eternity)

As with many things that would actually not at all require that much effort (role screen, CA slot battlefield information, radar modelling, terrain features, myriad of AI assets, "waypoint mentality", the list is endless)  the product provider might think it irrelevant because the majority presses "e" and then post somewhere "what button do 2 find tagetzz broooo" and seemingly seems to more and more cater to that denominator.
Yet simple popularity (or populism?) and its herald do not maintain a products USP, features that show intent do, no matter how much of the purchasebase has a perceived yearn for them before their existence.

• Like 2