2 x 2080 Ti cards in SLI

IADC

There are a few threads on guys trying to SLI for VR, but the consensus is that VR SLI doesn't work for DCS because they haven't implemented nvidias VR-SLI.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

DCS + VR + SLI does not work.

Most games do not work in VR with SLI.

VR would have to become much more popular and user base increased drastically for that to happen.

Anyone doing what we do here, get the best CPU, GPU and Ram you can afford for VR. And enjoy what you can get out of it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

DCS + VR + SLI does not work.

Most games do not work in VR with SLI.

VR would have to become much more popular and user base increased drastically for that to happen.

Anyone doing what we do here, get the best CPU, GPU and Ram you can afford for VR. And enjoy what you can get out of it.

This goes in both ways. GPU technology for implementing SLI/CF regularly or even for VR in the way to use single GPU per eye already exist but it is not implemented on the software side read as games.

In the same way, as we need to increase numbers of VR users you can say that DCS will benefit from such technology as well no matter is it for VR or normal monitor usage.

Point is DCS is enormously demandable by hardware resources so it needs proper SLI/CF support to increase players base who can afford hardware for proper performance. With proper SLI/CF with 2x RX590 or GTX 1080, you can get significantly better performances than with RTX 2080ti in half price.

So if you look in that way SLI/CF is more ED need than for just VR.

This is a twoway street.

2080 TI sli here and no real improvements, does not work, only thing I see is DCS shares VRam between the two cards via NVlink from around 10 gigs on each cards. GPU usage is seen on one card while the other card sits at idle.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I am the person mentioned above. I have finally gotten SLI to work with the 2000 series cards but it is wonky and has several bugs (some of which I have fixed and many others that I have not had time to get to). I teach at the university and conduct research and just do not have the time and resources right now to release what I have done to the public. (and only two people have ever contacted me about VR with SLI anyway, so I suspect the market is tiny) Over the summer of 2019, I may revisit my work and see if I can improve it, but for now, it is on hiatus. Apologies.

AureliusAugustus, I just wanted to say thanks for your efforts. Thanks for stopping by too. Real life always matters first maybe one day this bubble will explode and SLI or NVlink will be main stream.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2080 TI sli here and no real improvements, does not work, only thing I see is DCS shares VRam between the two cards via NVlink from around 10 gigs on each cards. GPU usage is seen on one card while the other card sits at idle.

Ditto, and I'm glad Aurelius sounded off in this thread. I've been using SLI since the old Creative Labs/3dfx days, and always get at least 2 cards (used to be worth it to have 3 or 4 GPU arrays). Been running 2 2080ti since they became available, and while there are some games/apps where they give more performance, unfortunately SLI and DCS isn't one of them. Yet. I continue to live in hope that someday...

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Ditto, and I'm glad Aurelius sounded off in this thread. I've been using SLI since the old Creative Labs/3dfx days, and always get at least 2 cards (used to be worth it to have 3 or 4 GPU arrays). Been running 2 2080ti since they became available, and while there are some games/apps where they give more performance, unfortunately SLI and DCS isn't one of them. Yet. I continue to live in hope that someday...

I used to have two 980ti cards in SLI and did get a good performance boost in DCS (maybe about 20-30%). I do remember having some annoying microstuttering though.

Did you try activating SLI in DCS using nVidia inspector? There's no boost, if you don't activate it in the drivers. You should at least see an improvement in pancake mode - no idea how it reacts to VR.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Do you have a Inspector profile that works in enabling SLI in DCS?

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

VR vs Pancake

DCS does work in SLI in pancake mode is what I've read. No in VR unless you are the God Emperor and have written code to make it so.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Did you read that in the Beano.

????

• 8 months later...

Is it worth to get another RTX 2080 Ti ( nvlink ) for DCS World?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Is it worth to get another RTX 2080 Ti ( nvlink ) for DCS World?

No.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Why not ?

11 GB vs 22 GB isn't much of improving ?

I never used SLI / nvlink

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Why not ?

11 GB vs 22 GB isn't much of improving ?

I never used SLI / nvlink

Thank you

Doesn't work like that.

SLI doesn't pool resources this way, each card runs on its own pool of memory so each card needs the same data in it's 11gb so with 2 2080ti's you still only have 11GB vram.

And as has been mentioned, VR and SLI isn't a thing, period, it's not supported except for a very few titles still to this day.

Besides the main limiting factor of DCS and performance isn't GPU, it's the cpu core thread limit. The game simply is to old to leverage what hardware we have, if it did you could have run the game in VR at 90fps with a 1070.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

If DCS supported SLI in VR, I'd buy another 2080 Ti tomorrow. Heck, even if BF5 supported SLI I'd do the same.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

No why would you - go Titan....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

No why would you - go Titan....

Because two 2080 Ti cards are much more powerful than a single Titan, but only if SLI is working correctly.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• 1 year later...

SLI is not even supported anymore by Nvidia (no new SLI profiles in the drivers).
Besides of benchmarking or non-gaming purposes SLI is pretty much dead.
You can still use it though with the help of Nvidia profile inspector by playing around with the sli rendering modes and the compatibility bits - works even with stuff which was never officially supported.
But sadly not in VR.

• Like 1