control setup in Saitek software vs. DCS control settings?

nerdtron

Longtime Saitek user (started with an X-45 many years ago then eventually switched up to the X-52 which I'm still using). I've always used the Saitek software to setup all the joystick buttons to map to keys used by whatever sim I'm flying.

I've picked it up again for DCS A-10C and am trying to get setup after a long time away. I've noticed some strangeness with it. Sometimes I'll plug the X-52 in and pick a profile and it won't actually seem to take effect. My tests is to open notepad and use the coolie hat and see if I get the uhjk letters). When this doesn't work, I've found a reboot will fix it.

I've thought about, instead of setting everything up in the Saitek software, doing it in DCS. I can go into DCS and map buttons directly to commands (as opposed to the button triggering the key which matches DCS).

Anyone have opinions/thoughts/experience on one vs. the other? Is it better to set stuff up on the Saitek side or to do it directly in DCS?

One advantage to using the ingame bindings is that you don't have to exit the game, select a new profile and start the game back up to switch aircraft. Each aircraft has it's own bindings and you simply switch planes.

Also, in order to map it ingame, you simply pull up the controls screen, type the keyboard equivalent for the control you want to map, zoom straight to that control, and map your button. No muss, no fuss.

Another advantage is that if you leave your controller plugged in and step away from the pc for a bit, your cat/dog won't delete the term paper that you've been working on for days... :lol:

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals

... although how do you take advantage of mode 1, 2, 3 on the X-52? I'm not seeing how that can be used if mapping directly in DCS. Was thinking maybe instead of modes, use pinkie switch to at least give 2 sets of inputs, but that doesn't seem to effect mappings in DCS controls settings.

Edited by nerdtron

If X-52 mode selector and pinky (shift) button don't press DX buttons you can't use then in DCS controls setup.

Pinky button at least you can change their behavior from "clutch" (exclusive for Saitek software) to DX button, just un-check "clutch" option:

Edited by Sokol1_br

You may want to consider reading up on what can be done with the software, you're going to give up on some capability without it. I ALT/Tab to the desktop and change profiles all the time and turn around and tab right back in. I also develop the profiles in game and adjust them by ALT/Tabbing, something like 10, 20, or even more profile changes in the same flight as I add or change key assignments. I do the same with Target and don't have any problem with ALT/Tabbing with it either.