Stable vs OB

kaboki

What on earth was the big mp communetus thinking when deciding to only host on the beta branch.. Tought the days of having 2 installs was supposed to stop after the merge, now the mp communety decide to split the commeunety again. Wtf... what about new players joining, log in and see that this game is dead in mp decide to just leave it, without knowing that the old eleitist is hiding in a beta branch.. And what about when the beta breaks somthing and we all will be in singleplayer for a week waiting for a fix... Am I alone in feeling this is kinda stupid

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM

Everyone wants the latest new features and fixes as soon as possible simple as that.

You don't need two installs. You can switch back and forth between stable and open beta easily using command line options with DCS_updater.exe, or a GUI that someone wrote.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

i think it startet with the fact that planes in Early access come out on beta first, sometimes several weeks early. and people want to fly them, also in MP. and servers just stuck with OB

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

I see little to no benefits being on Stable version. Both have their sets of issues, but the Beta branch gets new features and fixes first.

Maybe someone at ED can point at the upsides of being on Stable. Cause I have not managed to find anything from a user point of view that makes me want to switch to the regular Stable version.

I see little to no benefits being on Stable version. Both have their sets of issues, but the Beta branch gets new features and fixes first.

Maybe someone at ED can point at the upsides of being on Stable. Cause I have not managed to find anything from a user point of view that makes me want to switch to the regular Stable version.

I'm a stable user, which only has the basic beta client and the two modules I use in MP because you are forced to.

I play mostly in stable. All DLC campaigns, single missions, my own missions, usermissions. Everything.

Because I know that when something reach stable it is more likely that it will work better than it worked in beta.

Let's talk about current beta iteration. You have new features, most of them with issues and most likely more to come. They will be fixed, and when they arrive to the stable client, I will be able to use the radar, mavs and helmet visor on the Hornet from start.

Sure, you will be able to test it and with a bit of luck play a stable version before that version gets into the stable client, but I don't mind waiting one or two weeks and be able to play it bugs free (mostly)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let's talk about current beta iteration. You have new features, most of them with issues and most likely more to come. They will be fixed, and when they arrive to the stable client, I will be able to use the radar, mavs and helmet visor on the Hornet from start.

Sure, you will be able to test it and with a bit of luck play a stable version before that version gets into the stable client, but I don't mind waiting one or two weeks and be able to play it bugs free (mostly)

Well I respect your opinion... but In my point of view, what is badly broken will be fixed in a hotfix (like today) for OpenBeta while stuff that is still broken will still be sent to Stable during next update. You won't get anything on that is not already in the OpenBeta.

Well I respect your opinion... but In my point of view, what is badly broken will be fixed in a hotfix (like today) for OpenBeta while stuff that is still broken will still be sent to Stable during next update. You won't get anything on that is not already in the OpenBeta.

The main difference is that they will have 1 or 2 weeks to hotfix stuff meanwhile. I never said everything reached stable (or as our friend said "release") version full of bugs.

But at least in a playable state. Yesterday you couldn't use the hornet for anything that wasn't aerobatics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There was a thread about this not many weeks ago.

As I see it the MP community are being the guinea pigs for the benefit of SP oriented players. I guess something to do with the active players "wanting to help" and getting access to the latest stuff as early as possible.

After all few people rush to MP before learning SP first, and the best way to make progress with DCS is to join a community anyway.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

A few years ago, there was only 1 version to deal with. There would be a patch and many things would sometimes be broken. There was a cry from many to have access to a version to help test releases, to which ED finally did, thus the beta version was made available openly.

More people provided feedback as intended, more things got fixed and when Beta was working better it got moved to the release (coined as "stable" by many) version and things worked fairly well in this manner.

More and more people soon realised that BETA got all the GOOD stuff early and more started to migrate to BETA before the worse bugs were worked out by the volunteer testers (Remember, this is what you are on Beta, a tester!!!). As such, the majority of online servers are now using beta with many screaming we do not need the RELEASE version, which puts us back to were we were a few years ago.

Luckily, what is different from a few years ago is that ED has made it fairly simple to switch versions. BUT this does take time and there are a good number of people who do not want to for a variety of reasons.

The thing is, at least there is a choice, and choice is good!

There was a thread about this not many weeks ago.

As I see it the MP community are being the guinea pigs for the benefit of SP oriented players. I guess something to do with the active players "wanting to help" and getting access to the latest stuff as early as possible.

After all few people rush to MP before learning SP first, and the best way to make progress with DCS is to join a community anyway.

Myself jumped straight into mp when i got into dcs, had never flown a flightsim in my life. If pheonix server wasnt around at that time with dcent population, i would leave the game, took me atleast a year to register on the forum.

Many people coming into this from steam would come to a game with almost no life in mp, they would just think, ah this game isnt that popular,,,... this mp beta trend can ruin the influx of new people too the game. Even me, a seasoned mp dcs player, it took me a week to find out what was going on, could not wrap my head around it, after a holiday, coming back and not finding a server too play on. Was just lucky to stumble upon a thread in the bugs forum....

And even if its a stable beta, many people will refuse to run somthing with beta in its name, because it implies its gonna be some unstable shit... and going back and forth beetwen stable sounds very inconvinient...

This kinda makes me wanna drop mp for a while to dive into sp, until the good servers decide too go back to stable..

Edited by kaboki

Specs:

Intel i7 3770k 3.5Ghz, Nvidia GTX980 4GB, 8gb RAM