Red's A-10C Pit

KLaFaille

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ragtop & Deadman,

Just a few more for shits and grins.

As always, they can be clicked through to larger resolutions if so desired.

6208896755_3d71b6e209_b.jpg

AUX LTS by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6208896879_c9dd7c88f5_b.jpg

MIP Console 2 by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6209412054_25098cccd8_b.jpg

AUX LTS Panel by KLaFaille, on Flickr

Compared to my real panel it was drawn from, I still need to add the four arrows.

5927251946_4a73c3f76c_b.jpg

Panels (17 of 23).jpg by KLaFaille, on Flickr

Hey those are only CAD draws right ? I m lost here.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

Yes, they are renderings of CAD drawings I've created. They are however, in the case of real panels that I own, dimensionally accurate to a few thousands of an inch and in the case of C model panels, drawn to be as accurate as possible from references that I have available to me. They also take into account actual requirements as outlined in applicable MIL-STD and MIL-SPEC documentation.

For example, The "C" Main Instrument Panel is drawn from an actual A-10A MIP with changes made to accomidate the MFCDs (libertay was taken here for use of available COTS panels), fire pull housing, and removal / relocation of instrumentation and panels. The HSI, ADI, RWR, VVI, ASI, AAU-34A, LDG GEAR, HARS, Engine Instrumentation and FUEL panels all stayed in the same location as on the A-10A, so the panel is 100% dimensionally accurate there.

The non C model exclusive panels I'm drawing to verify that they will work with my designs, "function testing rounds" if you were to use firearm terminology.

What these CAD files give me are parts that when created, I know will fit to real aircraft parts, DZUS rails, consoles, housings, etc. I think that it's fair to say that I am trying to stay as true to real aircraft as possible, with necessary liberties taken, and I think that those in the "know" would see the similarities in what I have drawn to actual A-10 hardware.

It's all a bit crazy, I know, but when one spends thousands of dollars collecting real instruments, real panels, real controls, real switches, and other various real aircraft bits for a simpit, sanity has long since left the building.

Hope that helps to clear up my motives behind the CAD work I do. :)

Red

Switches are available on the net here is a short list for the switches in that panel

http://www.scsimulations.com/content.php?231-A-10C-Switch-List

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WOW, amazing i am can you share some dimensions :book: so far?

what about those big, Switching - whare i can buy some?

Avlolga

i don't know what it's mean, but i like to:thumbup:

It means i have work with Red on several projects and i need to speak with him :pilotfly:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

i am new, and already know that Red, Mike P, You are with vest experience and great job under your hands.

i am watching you all day for new stuff.:book:

You are all providing great inspiration.

i am waiting for dimensions to Red's amazing work.(hope it will be soon)

I got an small CNC for panels (still looking for a place to buy all the switches, and as much equipment and shipped it to Israel).

i am envy you from the US - there is so match from everything - buying real eq or replica is not an option for me, even CNC replicate panels will cost a lot for shipping so DIY is my only option, and i love it too.

just want to say keep on the amazing work - .dfx .dwg pic, i will pay for full panels / console / seat dimension, your work is worth it !!!:beer:

Avlolga

I wired up the LASTE panel earlier, not the prettiest but it works as it should. One green wire is the common for the switches, the other is the ground of the 5V panel backlighting.

I used the original receptacle that came on the panel and I have an appropriate female connector that mates to it. You can see the rear release pin tools and pins in one of the pictures there, the tweezers and white half of the double sided tool are for extracting the pins, the red half is for inserting the pins and having them seat properly in the locks in the receptacle. You can insert these by hand so you don't really need the insertion tool except when things start getting crowded or a pin is being stubborn and won't seat.

The pins are made to be crimped onto 16-18 AWG wire, but I don't have the right crimper yet and I used 22ga on the white leads, so I just soldered them on. You can see the result of poor planning when bundling the leads as I had to do some creative basketweaving to get the pins into the holes I had decided they were to go in. This happens in "real life" though too, one end of a cable has a clockwise twist and the other end of course is counter-clockwise. So when building a connector on each end to a hookup sheet, one end will have all the pins line up nicely into the connector, but the other end is reversed so you have to weave and twist things to insert them in the right hole. No fun when you have to do a 90+ pin plug with daisy chains and pair shields being terminated to pins, etc. :music_whistling:

The last pic is just some more miscellaneous gauges that I'll have to open up and do some work on. I have to add the on/off flag to the AOA but that shouldn't pose much trouble because I have a bunch of small flag movements from the ADI I salvaged.

6245895802_e3cfb5b60e_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (2 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245374485_625607b90d_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (1 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245896286_6608d9c10c_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (3 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245896564_4599d89b3d_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (4 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245375929_c7d4770a71_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (5 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245376283_b82b968812_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (6 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245376771_31feb3ee37_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (7 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245898534_670d5242e6_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (8 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245898900_d30b1fdd75_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (9 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245378169_c6eda1f4c5_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (10 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245899386_afa8f6fefa_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (11 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245899660_234874fb56_b.jpg

LASTE Panel (12 of 12) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245379049_f867fb55d2_b.jpg

Misc Gauges by KLaFaille, on Flickr

Very nice!! How is the LASTE panel backlighted? I can't see any lamps, diodes or EL.

Digital-to-Synchro converter for interfacing real aircraft instruments - Thread

Check out my High Input Count Joystick Controller for cockpit builders, with support for 248 switches, 2 POV hats and 13 analog axes. Over 60 units sold. - B256A13

www.novelair.com - The world's most realistic flight simulators of the J35J Draken and the AJS37 Viggen.

Thanks,

There are a bunch of super tiny incandescent bulbs with green NVIS filters mounted to a plate which is screwed into the faceplate of the panel. The gold connector in the center there is for the 5V to light the panel.

I'll get a pic for you shortly.

K

OK, this is generally how back lighting a real panel is done.

Also of note, inside and at the bottom of each of the holes where the bulb goes is a mirror to reflect the light back down and into the green NVIS filters.

6246325298_f8b5ae6c87_b.jpg

Panel Backlighting (1 of 4) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245803393_25b84d94ed_b.jpg

Panel Backlighting (2 of 4) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6246326180_41e7d3bcc6_b.jpg

Panel Backlighting (3 of 4) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

6245804385_a13e7fd30d_b.jpg

Panel Backlighting (4 of 4) by KLaFaille, on Flickr

Cool! Thanks for the info and the pictures! That's not something I think I would be able to do on my own ;)

Digital-to-Synchro converter for interfacing real aircraft instruments - Thread

Check out my High Input Count Joystick Controller for cockpit builders, with support for 248 switches, 2 POV hats and 13 analog axes. Over 60 units sold. - B256A13

www.novelair.com - The world's most realistic flight simulators of the J35J Draken and the AJS37 Viggen.

Awesome material and nice work.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.