Trying to taxi on CVN-74 is like taxing through mud

Vorden

Not sure if this is a MP only issue but the F/A-18 does all sorts of weird things while trying to taxi on the deck of CVN-74, it slides sideways, it will turn sometimes fine, other times it just plows ahead, sometimes there is a lot of rolling resistance like the wheels are stuck in mud or something and requires a lot of throttle to get moving, it's very odd. I remember having similar issues with the Russian carrier in the SU-33 when taxing near the arrestor cables. (again in MP) I have the carrier moving along at 30kts, so could be a problem of moving on as moving object kind of deal?

Not sure if this is a MP only issue but the F/A-18 does all sorts of weird things while trying to taxi on the deck of CVN-74, it slides sideways, it will turn sometimes fine, other times it just plows ahead, sometimes there is a lot of rolling resistance like the wheels are stuck in mud or something and requires a lot of throttle to get moving, it's very odd. I remember having similar issues with the Russian carrier in the SU-33 when taxing near the arrestor cables. (again in MP) I have the carrier moving along at 30kts, so could be a problem of moving on as moving object kind of deal?

I've been able to get to the bottom of this issue. Simply put, when people (including myself) activate Hi-Gain we tend to kick rudder full right or left...what this does is put the nose gear in a perpendicular position, gaining tons of traction, no wheel movement, and causing you to simply skid fwd without steering control.

Solution:

If Hi-Gain is active, start moving fwd with Nose Wheel straight/neutral, then give it very slight rudder adjustments as you gain momentum you can increase the kick range on the rudder to gain full Hi-Gain maneuverability.

Oh I know about the nose wheel skidding, but that isn't the issue here. Example, the entire aircraft will sometimes slide sideways while there is no forward movement, front and rear wheels sliding slideways

Oh I know about the nose wheel skidding, but that isn't the issue here. Example, the entire aircraft will sometimes slide sideways while there is no forward movement, front and rear wheels sliding slideways

I've experienced what you're describing also, but only at high wind speeds. In one mission I had Stennis maxed out at 26 knots plus a little headwind, maybe 8 knots, and my F-18 was being blow and dragged sideways across the deck. A thirty-forty knot wind shouldn't be enough to dislodge the bird. Enough to make taxiing more of a challenge, sure, but not to send her skittering.

Is your problem similar or are you having these issues with negligible wind influence?

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Well, he has the ship running at 30kt, which is the same as a 30kt wind.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I can say from experience as a acft director on the JFK CV67 we use to drag tomcats all over the deck sideways while taxing them and it was worse when towing them in a strong wind, so this is not too far from realistic experience.

The deck would get a little oil and fuel on it and even with non-skid coating it was like ice to planes.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I was wondering if wind over the deck was causing all this trouble. I just wonder if this much force is realistic?

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Carrier Speed Matters...#CSM!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

If what I have read online is correct the carrier speed should be calculated so you have about 25 knots wind over the deck (ideal recover speed). But when launching aircraft the speed is brought back to 22 knots. That speed will of course include any other wind conditions set by the weather. I tried 25 knots in winter conditions but then the aircraft were sliding on the deck :P I guess the 25 knots setting is perfect for the no wind condition summertime.

Basically, you're talking about aircraft (big, designed to catch the wind) being blown around by 40+ mph winds.... Yeah, that'll happen. It'll blow tractor trailers around the highway, too.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2