Radar Antennae Elevation meant for thumbstick instead of rotary axis?

One of the 2 rotaries on the X55 throttle works nicely, they have center detents so although not spring loaded they can be returned to center easily. The axis doesn’t seem to speed up with increased displacement though, seems more like an on/off switch, maybe I can play some more with the software.

I don’t know if they are the same on the X52, but if you experience drift, maybe setting up a small dead zone would help?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I use a spring loaded radar elevation potentiometer and ED has done amazing job on the code for this control. Feels like the real deal. I think it is perfect like this. If there is a need for different controller types I hope they do not remove the current functionality since it is just perfect. I hope there will be different options to adjust the radar elevation control for different needs.

Good job ED!

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

I use a spring loaded radar elevation potentiometer and ED has done amazing job on the code for this control.
:smartass:

I am left in two minds by your post. On the one hand, I am highly impressed by your quest (and ED's) for realism and perfection.:thumbup:

On the other, I am puzzled as to how ED have not provided a suitable option for a rotary analogue axis, for the remaining 99.9% of us using off the shelf controllers.:doh:

However, I very much support and appreciate your request that what is in place does remain as an option.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I am left in two minds by your post. On the one hand, I am highly impressed by your quest (and ED's) for realism and perfection.:thumbup:

On the other, I am puzzled as to how ED have not provided a suitable option for a rotary analogue axis, for the remaining 99.9% of us using off the shelf controllers.:doh:

... My words

+1 Hope they will give us this option. Now it is really hard work to operate elevation rapidly and with precision.

Right now every other Radar Elevation control in DCS works as a dial. They work rather well, they're very intuitive and extremely accurate. The Hornet's Radar Elevation is the complete opposite of EVERY OTHER control scheme in DCS. That's obviously pretty stupid as it's preferable to have as much continuity between planes as possible. I set flaps, gear, TDC, Trim, etc... all to the same controls on different planes to help get over the adjustment period from plane to plane.

This is not only terrible for that reason but it also makes the dial, which most people set aside for this use, completely pointless. I just thought it was because it was Early Access but they've fixed the TDC slew and lots of nagging control issues, yet this remains. Are they really going to make us use a different control style every time we switch to the Hornet??

Please ED, take note of how Radar Elevation works in the Mirage and F15 and then fix this bs.

Hoping that an option will be made to map it like an F-16 elevation control so that it makes sense on my throttle (and in my brain lol)
Lol!!

Hey Tomcat how are you doing?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

That's obviously pretty stupid as it's preferable to have as much continuity between planes as possible.

Please ED, take note of how Radar Elevation works in the Mirage and F15 and then fix this bs.

Absolute rubbish. This is a sim. If this is how it works in the real plane, that's how it will be modelled.

That doesn't mean ED can't make concessions to account for the fact that many people won't have the right hardware (and I hope hey will), but it's certainly not broken.

Squirrel that is nonsense, for control purposes there are a lot of 'non realistic' work arounds. From toggle to cycle, clockwise/counterclockwise, axis that work differently etc. That is just the reality of flightsimulation and real life / hardware / budget constrains.

Please consider what you are actually implying here: "You can't use axis XY on your HOTAS because REALISM!11" :D

Read my post properly. I never said ED shouldn't include work arounds and never implied otherwise; in fact I specifically said they should.

ED's starting point was to model things as they are in the real plane. To claim as Xordus has that it's broken, or should be remodelled to match other planes is, a ridiculous proposition, and was the only point I wished to make.

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel