Very limited IFF - Can someone briefly explain what that means?

Mr_sukebe

Before I get home and fire up the update that will give us IFF, can someone please give us a quick heads up on what the limited IFF means. e.g.

- Is it automatically enabled or do we turn it on?

- Does this mean that the F18 will now broadcast an IFF signal, such that friendlies know who were are and won't shoot at us?

- Does this mean that our F18 is capable of understanding IFF signals from other friendly aircraft, such that we can avoid shooting them?

Apologies if they sound like really basic questions, but it would have been good to include clarity.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This reads on the mini-updates thread:

Probably for the next update will be an initial implementation of IFF for the Hornet. Attached are a couple of looks.

A diamond-shaped TD box indicated a negative IFF response (hostile), whereas a standard, square TD box indicates a valid IFF handshake (friendly). Initially, this will be done automatically as part of an STT/LTWS/DTWS (L&S and D2) designation.

At a later point we will investigate a more in-depth IFF system using the encrypted-code system. However, this is a VERY complex system that will take a lot of time, and we currently have much higher priorities. Furthermore, a code-based IFF system will also involve a significant re-write of portions of the AI code.

Also, in the next update we changed the manual (M) radio modulation selection logic to be more realistic based on recent information. The modulation selection will now be in a single Option Select Window and toggle between AM and FM (rather than separate OSW windows). The inability of an entered frequency not be saved (reverts back to default) has also been resolved.

Thanks!

IFF has always been hush hush. Will be interested in seeing what they do with it in the future, not just with the Hornet, but with all DCS. If I'm not mistaken IFF is limited on all modules to a simple form.

Haven't checked out the new patch but I'm anxious to try it out. Be able to do CAP without my butt puckered now! lol!

IFF has always been hush hush. Will be interested in seeing what they do with it in the future, not just with the Hornet, but with all DCS. If I'm not mistaken IFF is limited on all modules to a simple form.

Haven't checked out the new patch but I'm anxious to try it out. Be able to do CAP without my butt puckered now! lol!

Actually IFF is pretty well documented.

What is not documented and is classified is mode 4 which is most reliable in times of war and therefore classified to prevent intentional false positive.

IFF, basically, is an electronic interrogation: a receiver checks for transmissions with certain data which either have or don't have a certain "code".

For example: if "1" is defined as friend then any other answer recieved other than 1 is regarded as foe.

jgVplRQ.png

Works automatically with RWS. Wags posted something and I'm trying to find it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3530763&postcount=61

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Works automatically with RWS. Wags posted something and I'm trying to find it.

Uhm... I can only see if friend or foe when I have a contact locked in STT...

Is there any other way yet to IFF than locking and watching the shape in the HUD?

Thanks for the clarification chaps.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

A diamond-shaped TD box indicated a negative IFF response (hostile), whereas a standard, square TD box indicates a valid IFF handshake (friendly). Initially, this will be done automatically as part of an STT/LTWS/DTWS (L&S and D2) designation.

At a later point we will investigate a more in-depth IFF system using the encrypted-code system. However, this is a VERY complex system that will take a lot of time, and we currently have much higher priorities. Furthermore, a code-based IFF system will also involve a significant re-write of portions of the AI code.

No IFF answer = unknown, not hostile :music_whistling:

For now it doesn't really matters, but it will when the IFF simulation will be improved.

Also, mission designers may be able to put some neutral aircraft soon :music_whistling:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212059&page=2

post #19

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

At the moment it only checks if the Targetbox is in the HUD area. Is that intentional or is that a bug?

When I lock a friendly track that is not direktly infront of me it will display it as a diamond and only change it if I navigate it infront of the plane to a box.

If I lock a friendly target that already is infront of my plane it immediately displays a box.

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour?

No IFF answer = unknown, not hostile :music_whistling:

For now it doesn't really matters, but it will when the IFF simulation will be improved.

Also, mission designers may be able to put some neutral aircraft soon :music_whistling:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212059&page=2

post #19

Neutral coalition means civilian air-traffic ?

Steam Index, i7 8700K, 32Gb, GTX 1070Ti, NVMe.

Hotas Warthog, Virpil, RX Vipers

Neutral coalition means civilian air-traffic ?

As I understand what is written in the linked topic, it is anything that isn’t Blue or Red side.

So you could have at the same time neutral Su-27 and hostile Su-27, making the ID process very “interesting” = you can’t rely on IFF neither on NCTR or RWR, only behaviour and VID :music_whistling:

Yet I wonder if “neutral” fighters would react when engaged, with “return fire” ROE for instance ?

AFAIK civilian air traffic depends on “mods”.

A lot of things to test...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

For a while I thought at least in FC3 planes the code is as simple as "other coalition = show as enemy".

But then I had countless times getting hit in the F15 and flying back home damaged to get fired on and killed by my own air defenses on final... which implies that ED actually already has a more complicated system in place than I thought there is.

Will be interesting to see where ED is gonna go with that.

Would be cool though if there was a radio option to tell the airfield AI to "hold fire, my IFF is shot"... since I can't just squawk a safety code :)

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

I imagine that a 'neutral' target would still appear as a 'hostile' in the Hornet because the IFF is a binary system; the targeted aircraft either responds with the correct code ("handshake") or doesn't, regardless of faction.

Might have to start making callouts for bogeys on the net if you've got AWACS.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

You are technically correct, but the friendly/hostile designation based on response depends on what your IFF can actually do ;)

IFF doesn’ answer “hostile”. If it doesn’t receive any answer it is “unknown”. :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There seems to be lot of confusion about this topic, so let me try to make some things clear how IFF works, both in reality and in DCS.

Reality:

When you IFF someone, then you either get a positive or a negative response. A positive response means the contact is friendly. A negative response means the contact is unkown. A positive response requires the target aircraft to have its IFF transponder to be running in the correct mode and on the correct code, so even if the target is actually a friendly aircraft it can still give a negative response if its IFF-transponder is not configured correctly or turned off.

DCS:

DCS doesn't care about IFF-transponders in the target aircraft. If the target is friendly, meaning on the same side (blue/red), then it will give a positive response. This is even true if the target aircraft has its IFF-transponder turned off or doesn't even has a (compatible) IFF-transponder (e.g. WW2 aircraft). DCS just checks the side of the target aircraft (it gets the information from the DCS engine) and always shows it 100% reliable as friendly if it is a friendly aircraft. So far there have only been two sides in DCS (red/blue) which are always hostile to each other. That means, if the target is not friendly it is hostile. But the devs are currently working on a third neutral side, which will make things more interesting, as contacts that are not friendly can be either hostile or neutral and neutral aircrafts are not limited to civilian aircraft. They can also be military aircraft of a neutral country. In the future they also want to implement a more advanced IFF system, which then hase to configured properly and turned on in order to give positive responses to friendlies, just like in real life. But for now it's just that simple: friendly IFF target = friendly aircraft, unkown IFF target = hostile target.

Some years ago, I wrote some stuff about how flawed the IFF system in DCS is and how it could be improved here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161240

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I've read the RL Hornet manual on the CIT.

Turns out that it can be programmed on the DDI however the pilot wants. If the pilot wants only the mode 4 response to auto ID the target as hostile(mode 4 yes = Friend// Mode 4 no = Hostile), they can in fact do that. There's alot of freedom with it. That being said, while what we have now is simple, it is potentially accurate.

For those wondering what he means by using it in RWS:

RWS is still WIP and is missing "trackfiles" which can be displayed (similar to TWS). A total of 3 trackfiles can be displayed in RWS (LTWS, L&S, DT2). When you have a trackfile displayed will show the target HAFU symbology which can be determined by the CIT.

Edited by Beamscanner

I wonder why square and diamond was chosen, because there is danger of confusion if one is in a banked turn, a square becomes a diamond when looked at from a 45 degree bank angle. Think square/triangle or square/pentagon would be easier to distinguish. Wonder what the real life symbology is...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

I think the symbol should be a diamond and not a square that has been rotated 90 degrees. Right now, we have the latter. And yes, there is a difference. When you're turning with head movement on, it is easy to mistake a diamond for a square with your head turning. A diamond should be a rhombus with four equal sides but no 90 degree angles. The mind is quicker to see that kind of figure and distinguish it from a square rotated...OR we could go with enemy diamond red and friendly green... :)

I wonder why square and diamond was chosen, because there is danger of confusion if one is in a banked turn, a square becomes a diamond when looked at from a 45 degree bank angle. Think square/triangle or square/pentagon would be easier to distinguish. Wonder what the real life symbology is...

I had the same thought but the square and the diamond are rotating with your aircraft. The top line of the square is always "looking" up to your heading tape and the corner of the diamond is also always looking up to the heading tape.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings