LANTIRN - Codes

Chaogen

This morning I flew with some guys on a 99th server and had a great time with GBUs. This plane is just a phenomenal team A/C both inside and outside the cockpit.

So our session all started because I was unable to set the GBU Laser code to the CTLD JTAC of 1112. The second digit will only cycle through 5,6 and 7 on the kneeboard. Not sure if it's user error, by design or if it's been discussed before?

But never-mind, that forced me to team up with Wildcat who was RIO for Hendo with a Lantirn pod. After they dropped their first GBU, Hendo flew a close trail lead for me calling out his Time to Release while Wildcat lased it, and low and behold it worked like a charm.

Then at some point Hendo had to hit the head, so while his cat was in orbit on autopilot, wildcat managed to keep a target lased long enough for me to roll in with manual release as he talked me in.

If you are not flying multiplayer with the Cat you are definitely missing out.

The codes are real world limitations. Laser code 1112 is for a russian Su-25 IIRC.

this is from the F/A-18C Pocket Checklist:

031764c13ede485348000b0f557fee3a.jpg

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It is not so much about realism. IRL there is no "Airstart", no quick hop into a multiplayer battle. Realistic would mean a full fledged briefing, preset codes on the weapons and the pilot telling the JTAC the Lasercode of his LGB, so the JTAC can adjust, if it is XCAS without prebriefed codes on both sides.

The DCS AI JTAC is currently not able to do these kind of tasks... it was developed with the DCS:A-10C over a decade ago.

So these workarounds on most modules do make sense. :)

Awesome. Thanks Shagrat. Learn something new everyday. Obviously the other modules aren't that realistic, never mind changing code midair, so hopefully they can just change the JTAC codes on the server.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)