[NO BUG] Force feedback trimming issue with curvature - Effects all aircraft - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #1
hazzer

Exclamation [NO BUG] Force feedback trimming issue with curvature - Effects all aircraft

Hello, I believe this issue has been in DCS since it was first created with the use of force feedback joysticks. FFB in DCS is absolutely fantastic, however this issue means that aircraft do not trim or handle how they should do when using a force feedback joystick.

When adding curvature on the axis, it should be synchronized with the ffb, instead some weird things happen. Some aircraft it is okay to fly with no curves however with most it is not as it is simply way to sensitive in the center to fly smoothly.

I have attached a video I recorded in the A-10c to demonstrate one of the main problems, I believe if this was fixed it would solve all FFB issues. In the video it is important to watch the control indicator in the bottom left the small diamond is the trim position, and the approximate position that the stick should be in at that point (I do not touch the controls at all during this), the larger diamond is the actual control position.

https://youtu.be/zo6jVORqtYU

With no curvature as you trim the control stick moves correctly in the direction of trim and stays there as expected and as the video shows. Then in the video, I add curvature. I added a fair amount so the problem is obvious, the curves are added and you can see the stick jumps from its position and moves towards the center. It is now as if the trim is trying to move the stick in the curves but the trim does not have curves applied. So full forward trim in the video actually leaves the stick in the center. Same in every direction, and when trying to use the controls the joystick is super sensitive as the game now thinks the stick has been moved to the more sensitive part of the curve when the curve should've moved with the trim to give the same effect as normal.

I have mentioned this issue before and have been told that nobody on the ED dev/testers team owns a ffb stick and that not many people use FFB anymore. However I remember a poll not too long ago which showed lots of us FFB users are still out here! I would very much appreciate it if this could be looked into. I am very happy to help in any way I can and test for any solution.

Thanks.

Edit: The gazelle has an option in the special tab for this problem. If it was integrated into every aircraft it would be fixed.

Last edited by hazzer; 10-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.
hazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
hazzer

Hi, this post has been on [CHECKING] for a while. Can someone confirm it so this bug which has existed since the very first days of ffb in this game are fixed?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
AeriaGloria

You just can’t use a curve with FFB. I think the Gauss FFB base will have that option in software, it’s just not out yet and it will be pricy. I here the FFB curve option on the Gazelle doesn’t work well
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
You just can’t use a curve with FFB. I think the Gauss FFB base will have that option in software, it’s just not out yet and it will be pricy. I here the FFB curve option on the Gazelle doesn’t work well
Yeah I am aware. The thing is though it won't take much to code it into the game to fix it for all of us with no need for a work around.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
hazzer

Any progress with this? It has been in checking for ages.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Hi

sorry for the delay, I have checked with the team and this is not a bug,

curves can not be used with FFB as the axis wont coincide with the FFB response.

Last edited by BIGNEWY; 12-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
BIGNEWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Schlomo1933

But a few Years it was working ! why its not more possible ?
Schlomo1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
Hi

sorry for the delayed, I have checked with the team and this is not a bug,

curves can not be used with FFB as the axis wont coincide with the FFB response.
Yes that's my point. It should be able to, otherwise the game is pretty much unplayable in some aircraft. Can this not be implemented? Even polychop has the option in special settings...

Just being told it isn't a bug isn't good enough, It is a big oversight. I can't fly half the modules since they are too sensitive without curves. Talk about a waste of money.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

I dont own FFB so it is difficult for me to test, but I will enquire with the team about.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #10
hazzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNEWY View Post
I dont own FFB so it is difficult for me to test, but I will enquire with the team about.
In the current position I would imagine they need to code something that matches the trim to the curvature. Relatively simple on the grand scheme of things. It is a shame because I have been trying to get this sorted/implemented for the last 6 years that I have been playing.

FFB is the way to go! I am happy to help and provide any info if anyone on the team wants to work on this, meanwhile I cannot fly some aircraft as they require curves to be of any use.