Cockpit shake/vibration, and also damage sounds

S. Low

1) Cockpit vibrations

2) When I'm hit by bullets or missile it is very underwhelming. Barely the feintest of thuds. Curious if we could get more beefy, catastrophic sounds with regard to missiles and bullets hitting the F-18

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

+1. Would be nice to have vibration/thud on weapon release as well. Some weapons have it, some don't. For example, it's impossible to tell if you actually released a bomb, unless you look at the Stores page or the wings. In cockpit videos, there's always a small but noticeable amount of vibration when releasing/launching munitions.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Man, not sure if it's just me or not - but I fly in VR while using a TM Air Force headset - and when hit with a missile, it makes me jump every time and is noticeably loud.... The bullets I would consider a touch soft, but still makes one heck of a racket... Also, the shake after losing energy - or when bleeding energy aggressively is quite noticeable as well... At least to me it seems.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

@OP, don't forget that we're supposed to be wearing helmets that dampen the sounds a lot. The F-14, for example, the sounds are far louder than what a pilot would actually hear, for added effect, but it's not realistic.

As for vibration, I agree with the OP. Pulling G's you certainly feel it. But I for one can't tell that I've released a GBU-38, unless the aircraft banks, I hear it or I see it on the Stores page. There's no vibration feedback whatsoever and there should be one.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

Putting this clearly out there.

I don’t mind increased vibration being put into the game on the proviso there is a slider to enable VR pilots to dial it down. Forced shaking of the viewpoint when there is no sensory movement can cause nausea so let’s be clear that deliberately implementing something like that without giving the user the ability to decide on the strength is a no go.

I don’t mind increased vibration being put into the game on the proviso there is a slider to enable VR pilots to dial it down. Forced shaking of the viewpoint when there is no sensory movement can cause nausea so let’s be clear that deliberately implementing something like that without giving the user the ability to decide on the strength is a no go.

I don't have, so I can't speak to the experience, but would a 0.5s-1s vibration effect when a weapon is released or you get hit or whatever really be a problem? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking. We already have weapon release vibrations with some weapons, like the Maverick. Does launching a Maverick cause nausea in VR?

-

+1. Would be nice to have vibration/thud on weapon release as well. Some weapons have it, some don't. For example, it's impossible to tell if you actually released a bomb, unless you look at the Stores page or the wings.

Odd, I hear weapons release. Not sure there would be a vibration for all though. Would like to hear from RL Combat Pilots on that.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

+1. Would be nice to have vibration/thud on weapon release as well. Some weapons have it, some don't. For example, it's impossible to tell if you actually released a bomb, unless you look at the Stores page or the wings. In cockpit videos, there's always a small but noticeable amount of vibration when releasing/launching munitions.

+1 :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Odd, I hear weapons release. Not sure there would be a vibration for all though. Would like to hear from RL Combat Pilots on that.

I can only comment on what I see on videos, of course. I notice a noticeable vibration when bombs are released. Check these, starting at 27:32 and 10:55, respectively, as examples:

The first one might be due to the instructor in the back, holding the camera, but in the second video, both cameras are fixed on the canopy railing, so the vibration has to come from the airframe.

-

+1

As it is perfectly acceptable for me at the moment - well stated regarding changes that "add immersion" to a device that already does that. Can be too much, quite easily, adding immersion layers to a device that already accomplishes that.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I don't have, so I can't speak to the experience, but would a 0.5s-1s vibration effect when a weapon is released or you get hit or whatever really be a problem? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm actually asking. We already have weapon release vibrations with some weapons, like the Maverick. Does launching a Maverick cause nausea in VR?

No it doesn’t. But if you dial it up it MAY. Hence the point of user selectable.

No it doesn’t. But if you dial it up it MAY. Hence the point of user selectable.
Oh, I'm just talking about adding it to all weapons, not dialing it up. I can see how the latter would be a problem.

-