Things you learned playing DCS: F-14B

CheckGear

Its interesting to follow the comments regarding the HUD by those for whom a decluttered forward view makes them uncomfortable. I especially enjoy the kvetching from people who state they can't fly formation or perform AAR without altitude and speed indications- as though rate of closure and relative position to the aircraft you're formating on the wing of isn't enough information. Similarly, they bark about pattern work and landing, when landing is all AoA- and you get the altitude and rate of descent on the HUD for that operation.

Ergonomically speaking, for a high performance first out-the-door fourth generation aircraft that was bridging the gap between the analog and digital world, the layout is surprisingly consistent. Gauges that are most often used in conjunction with one another are grouped accordingly. The VDI/HSD combination is intuitive for both navigation and weapons employment, and is all centralized on the lift line- which is exactly where you're bringing your eyes up to when it's time to drop the hammer.

1.) Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD. Learned quickly that from pulling back hard for the first time for the heck of it had morbid consequences. The screen immediately went black, and external view showed a the bird with both wings traumatically amputated from ultra high-G input, to which caused fires, spilled fuel, and sent the whole bird spiraling uncontrollably to the ground. There was no ejection. I just watched like a passenger on a derailed roller coaster ...

2.) Is this the ONLY module with a working TWS? I kept reading how the F-18C could not get the TWS working, yet. I know nothing of the F-18C, and I do appreciate the beauty and attention to details. If that is the case with the TWS, however, then I feel really lucky. I have the module, but am too involved with the F-14B to mess with another lady. ;)

3.) The level of detail for this module is out of this world. Hats off and my gratitude to Heatblur and Eagle Dynamics. Anyone recall the pixelated U.S Navy Fighters days? How about Jet Fighter II? We, all of us, truly came a long way. :)

4.) High fidelity simulators (flight sim genre or otherwise) are resource intensive. We can't have everything, yet, but we can dream and help finance it; furthermore, it is often through the hard work of those very few and determined individuals that turn our dreams--into reality. Y'all have my greatest gratitude, and I feel so darn lucky.

5.) Having a backseat calling out SAM launch, and "missile, missile, nine o'clock" increase my survival rate. So much that I had reconsidered against flying single seaters. Tunguska doesn't say a word went throwing multiple SA-19 at you, unless you can see their faint smoke trail before the booster drop off.

6.) Go VF-31 Tomcatters!!! **they are the VFA-31 now with no 'Cats on board. I know, and feel kinda sad.**

7.) Rubber bands!! I rubber band the X56 flight stick to increase stick rigidity to prevent excitement-induced- wing-ripping. Refer to item 1.).

8.) I will most likely ask for an F-14D Super Tomcat. Come'on man, I mean, it has a real HUD, a Digital Flight Control System, and updated MFDs! :)

9.) That getting your fighter jet of dream in a high fidelity flight simulator can have you do things one not often considered. I decorated my rig's side glass panel, and dedicated a small area at the rear of my car to fashion with several memorable Tomcat and related vinyl stickers. **currently seeking genuine DCS World stick for my rig, but no luck so far.**

10.) Meteor, from musician Jorge Reyes, commissioned by Heatblur to create the soundtrack opened me to a new world of synthwave. I could no longer see the Tomcat module without the scores from the Defender of The Fleet Soundtrack. Excellent job, and thank you, Nick for bridging a beautifully crafted flight simulator with an equally match soundtrack. Personally, it was truly a gift with a bow experience. Thank you.

11.) Bubble canopy, or a lack thereof. I learned to fly and deal with the the metal frame that sat right at the one and eleven o'clock position, which constantly block my view for turning in final, as well as lining up for a high-angle snap shot. Well, when you love something, or someone, you take both the good, and their nuisance. I sure appreciate the F-16 more then just her 450 kts and 10 degrees nose-low slice now!

Edited by Pally

1.) Just because you CAN does not mean you SHOULD. Learned quickly that from pulling back hard for the first time for the heck of it had morbid consequences. The screen immediately went black, and external view showed a the bird with both wings traumatically amputated from ultra high-G input, to which caused fires, spilled fuel, and sent the whole bird spiraling uncontrollably to the ground. There was no ejection. I just watched like a passenger on a derailed roller coaster ...

2.) Is this the ONLY module with a working TWS? I kept reading how the F-18C could not get the TWS working, yet. I know nothing of the F-18C, and I do appreciate the beauty and attention to details. If that is the case with the TWS, however, then I feel really lucky. I have the module, but am too involved with the F-14B to mess with another lady. ;)

3.) The level of detail for this module is out of this world. Hats off and my gratitude to Heatblur and Eagle Dynamics. Anyone recall the pixelated U.S Navy Fighters days? How about Jet Fighter II? We, all of us, truly came a long way. :)

4.) High fidelity simulators (flight sim genre or otherwise) are resource intensive. We can't have everything, yet, but we can dream and help finance it; furthermore, it is often through the hard work of those very few and determined individuals that turn our dreams--into reality. Y'all have my greatest gratitude, and I feel so darn lucky.

5.) Having a backseat calling out SAM launch, and "missile, missile, nine o'clock" increase my survival rate. So much that I had reconsidered against flying single seaters. Tunguska doesn't say a word went throwing multiple SA-19 at you, unless you can see their faint smoke trail before the booster drop off.

6.) Go VF-31 Tomcatters!!! **they are the VFA-31 now with no 'Cats on board. I know, and feel kinda sad.**

7.) Rubber bands!! I rubber band the X56 flight stick to increase stick rigidity to prevent excitement-induced- wing-ripping. Refer to item 1.).

8.) I will most likely ask for an F-14D Super Tomcat. Come'on man, I mean, it has a real HUD, a Digital Flight Control System, and updated MFDs! :)

9.) That getting your fighter jet of dream in a high fidelity flight simulator can have you do things one not often considered. I decorated my rig's side glass panel, and dedicated a small area at the rear of my car to fashion with several memorable Tomcat and related vinyl stickers. **currently seeking genuine DCS World stick for my rig, but no luck so far.**

10.) Meteor, from musician Jorge Reyes, commissioned by Heatblur to create the soundtrack opened me to a new world of synthwave. I could no longer see the Tomcat module without the scores from the Defender of The Fleet Soundtrack. Excellent job, and thank you, Nick for bridging a beautifully crafted flight simulator with an equally match soundtrack. Personally, it was truly a gift with a bow experience. Thank you.

11.) Bubble canopy, or a lack thereof. I learned to fly and deal with the the metal frame that sat right at the one and eleven o'clock position, which constantly block my view for turning in final, as well as lining up for a high-angle snap shot. Well, when you love something, or someone, you take both the good, and their nuisance. I sure appreciate the F-16 more then just her 450 kts and 10 degrees nose-low slice now!

Wonderful observations. Can't believe you still wrecked your Tomcat in the manner you described in 1.). :shocking:

And I totally want an F-14D also, but, honestly, I want to see an F/A-18E/F Super Hornet before I see a Super Tomcat.

Wonderful observations. Can't believe you still wrecked your Tomcat in the manner you described in 1.). :shocking:

And I totally want an F-14D also, but, honestly, I want to see an F/A-18E/F Super Hornet before I see a Super Tomcat.

+1 to Super Hornet, too!

I'm the opposite. I'd rather the full Tomcat family be replicated before we move on to the jet that replaced it. Given classification, the F-14D is more likely than a Super Hornet. But I'd still be excited to see one, preferably an F. I'm too happy to have Jester along. Flying alone I start talking to myself.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

3. That said, getting the aircraft to do exactly what you want is difficult. Even something like taxiing on the flight deck's challenging. A small bit of throttle is enough to get the F/A-18 moving, but the F-14 requires more throttle and it's easy to give it too much power.

Didn't some pilot say that you were not allowed to use the power in turns, only when going straight and sometimes you just had not much distance to get the speed to make the turn?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

What I miss in every other module, is the environmental sound that F-14 has. You really feel and hear when you do maneuvers and how the air behaves etc. Flying others is just like flying a train on rails.

1. The F-14 taught me how to fly stick and rudder, and has made flying planes like the F-15 and F-18 super, super easy. I wasn't afraid of flying analog planes I wanted the challenge even before I clicked the Pre-Purchase button ;).

2. The Feedback that the F-14 gives the pilot, something that Heatblur really nailed, honestly, the flying by the seat of your pants feeling you get in the F-14, is addicting, it makes the other modules feel very sterile and to me, undesirable to fly.

3. The HUD is something that I came to accept and felt right at home with pretty quickly plus all the essential instrument gauges are right under the HUD so it wasn't hard to transition into. Funny thing is that even though I flew the Hornet before the Tomcat, I find the Hornet's HUD to be a sensory overload especially when you display the RWR on the HUD.

On a side note, I don't understand how some players have flat out shelved the Tomcat just because it doesn't have a modern HUD.

Actually, for me one thing that attracts me in the F-14 is preciselly its different and more archaich HUD symbology.

I would speculate that, those might be probably younger / novice players, eventually too used to light sims or even Ace Combat arcade genres.

Definitely not the old-school players.

To me which entered the flight sim niche in the early / mid 1990's, all felt pretty much the same regarding HUD symbols, at that time anyway... from one fighter to another.

Which is: the typical Airspeed and Altitude indicator boxes were always there, regardless it was an F-14, F-15, a MiG, etc.

For instance, my first interaction with an F-14 PC sim was around 1995, however today as you all know - the HUD symbols are not exactly what was depicted at that time, (first pic).

b0001.jpg.34d51da867cf4cac3e2b6c76c7553448.jpg

b0002.jpg.7b101e402c39a84b570f1c76ffef1988.jpg

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

For instance, my first interaction with an F-14 PC sim was around 1995, however today as you all know - the HUD symbols are not exactly what was depicted at that time, (first pic).

At that time it was extremely difficult to design the flight simulator, not because flight modeling (that was easy actually) but by the user interface. A single low resolution CGA/EGA/VGA display, 16 colors if even that.

And then you needed to get all the important flight instruments on that one screen!

That was just a crazy job!

Image7.gif

That is what I started with, simply a amazing back then. Still have the old joystick, three buttons and amazingly huge throw and adjustable spring strength:

GRAVIS-Joystick--peliohjain-f19cf3523e94e82f-medium.jpg

I should buy the adapter to get that thing working, it is still so amazingly good at hand - no wonder it was reviewed back at the time best joystick you could have. Loosen the spring completely and you have no centering, stick moves smoothly in the high angle of axis and it stays there where you leave it. Just amazing.

Now look at the various other simulators from that era like "Fighter-Bomber" and you had even less data, only way really to show all that was to use a HUD, even when the aircraft would had only a gunsight.

But even today I enjoy a lot to fly a "Hind" from 1996, regardless its so limited these days, it surely does offer all needed data.

And considering that to F-14, it really puts you value more of the aircraft avionics designs as you learn more from that than just wanting a modern HUD.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather the full Tomcat family be replicated before we move on to the jet that replaced it. Given classification, the F-14D is more likely than a Super Hornet. But I'd still be excited to see one, preferably an F. I'm too happy to have Jester along. Flying alone I start talking to myself.

I get it. If the F-14D's more feasible, then yeah, the Super Tomcat should come first.

How'd they get the info for the Block 50/52 Falcon, then?

I had an opposite thought, After the F-14B, I would really love to fly F-16A, of some early block, with old avionics, CRT radar screen, text-based MFD and no UFC, that would be awesome!

file.php?id=26152&t=1

• Like 1

I get it. If the F-14D's more feasible, then yeah, the Super Tomcat should come first.

How'd they get the info for the Block 50/52 Falcon, then?

Probably since the F-16C doesn't use an AESA radar like the Block II Super Hornet. Fewer classified systems means that they can better simulate the aircraft with fewer operational gaps.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Personally I'd like to see the Sky Pig. The A-6 would put a bunch of ordinance on target...DOWNTOWN!!

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

I learned to be a much better virtual pilot by flying the Tomcat...I also learned how incredibly talented Heatblur is and that such a legendary aircraft deserved no less than the masterpiece that they have created. By far, the Tomcat is the best simulated aircraft that I have ever seen in my 30 or so years of virtual aviation. The high quality, level of detail, and immersion is absolutely incredible. I continue to smile each and every time I fly it. I have had it since day one of release and it just keeps getting better.

+1,000,000,000 for the F-14D and A-6E....the last thing DCS needs right now is the Super Hornet, in my humble opinion of course. Seriously, the Tomcat deserves to have all variants represented...I really do hope the F-14D becomes reality.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I learned to be a much better virtual pilot by flying the Tomcat...I also learned how incredibly talented Heatblur is and that such a legendary aircraft deserved no less than the masterpiece that they have created. By far, the Tomcat is the best simulated aircraft that I have ever seen in my 30 or so years of virtual aviation. The high quality, level of detail, and immersion is absolutely incredible. I continue to smile each and every time I fly it. I have had it since day one of release and it just keeps getting better.

+1,000,000,000 for the F-14D and A-6E....the last thing DCS needs right now is the Super Hornet, in my humble opinion of course. Seriously, the Tomcat deserves to have all variants represented...I really do hope the F-14D becomes reality.

I mean, the Super Hornet is the one and only fighter in the Navy inventory, so it's relevance is rather unquestionable...:dunno:

But again, feasibility comes first. If it's more feasible to have the Super Tomcat and Intruder first, I'm all for it.

I mean, the Super Hornet is the one and only fighter in the Navy inventory, so it's relevance is rather unquestionable...:dunno:

But again, feasibility comes first. If it's more feasible to have the Super Tomcat and Intruder first, I'm all for it.

Pretty sure HB has categorically said that they just do not have, and will not have, access to sufficient info to do the D.

HB did say they would work on an A-6, but I'm almost certain their commitment was for an AI model. Which means that a player A-6 is just as hypeware as any of our other wishful wantings. And, in fact, some of those wishful wantings have probably got a better chance of coming sooner than either the A-6 or F-14D, simply because ED or some 3rd party developer has indicated in the past interest in working on it (e.g., AH-64, F-4)

Pretty sure HB has categorically said that they just do not have, and will not have, access to sufficient info to do the D.

HB did say they would work on an A-6, but I'm almost certain their commitment was for an AI model. Which means that a player A-6 is just as hypeware as any of our other wishful wantings. And, in fact, some of those wishful wantings have probably got a better chance of coming sooner than either the A-6 or F-14D, simply because ED or some 3rd party developer has indicated in the past interest in working on it (e.g., AH-64, F-4)

Then I guess we're not getting the F-14D any time soon. I can live with an AI-only A-6E.

1. Flying the cross

2. Departure from controlled flight and recovery

3. Proper Case 1 pattern

4. RWR limitations

5. Phoenix details (great whitepaper!)

6. I wish every module had HBs pilot body animation. What a game changer in terms of immersion.

As for wishlist, not really interested in the D. Give me that A-6 and I can preplan my free time schedule for the next 5 years.

At that time it was extremely difficult to design the flight simulator, not because flight modeling (that was easy actually) but by the user interface. A single low resolution CGA/EGA/VGA display, 16 colors if even that.

And then you needed to get all the important flight instruments on that one screen!

That was just a crazy job!

Image7.gif

That is what I started with, simply a amazing back then. Still have the old joystick, three buttons and amazingly huge throw and adjustable spring strength:

GRAVIS-Joystick--peliohjain-f19cf3523e94e82f-medium.jpg

I should buy the adapter to get that thing working, it is still so amazingly good at hand - no wonder it was reviewed back at the time best joystick you could have. Loosen the spring completely and you have no centering, stick moves smoothly in the high angle of axis and it stays there where you leave it. Just amazing.

Now look at the various other simulators from that era like "Fighter-Bomber" and you had even less data, only way really to show all that was to use a HUD, even when the aircraft would had only a gunsight.

But even today I enjoy a lot to fly a "Hind" from 1996, regardless its so limited these days, it surely does offer all needed data.

And considering that to F-14, it really puts you value more of the aircraft avionics designs as you learn more from that than just wanting a modern HUD.

Hold my beer. :D

My first sim was Psion's Flight simulator, which would be about 1982/83.

My first Joystick was the Kempston Competition pro. All microswitches, but it was dirt easy to fix and rewire when it went wrong, and easy to mod and put in suckers to stick it on the desk. I wish I still had it.

My first combat sim was digital integrations Fighter Pilot. God it was primitive, but didnt I think it was the bestest thing ever back in 1983.

We have all come an incredibly long way.