Add marker beacons to any map. (ADF/NDB, RSBN, ILS, TACAN and etc.)

fl0w

Add marker beacons to any map. (ADF/NDB, RSBN, ILS, TACAN and etc.)  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Add marker beacons to any map. (ADF/NDB, RSBN, ILS, TACAN and etc.)

• Yes, let's add it. It would be good for Mission Editor makers
    • No, it doesn't have any purpose whatsoever.

Hello.

I would like to keep this request simple, and hopefully, see this implemented into DCS one day. I know that it may sound unrealistic, but it would be nice for a lot of us DCS pilots that use the general navigation aids that are implemented into these aircraft. Let's put the L-39 to the example. As far as I can tell, we are given no ISBN or NDB to airfields in Normandy, the Persian Gulf and NTTR. The Caucasus has them but only the top airfields on the map that are in parts of the Russian/Ukranian territory. Examples of these airfields include Mozdok, Anapa, and others.

There are other aircraft in this game too that have this and lack it as a feature in maps. Like the UH-1H, MiG-21bis, F-86, and others that are probably there that I can't name off the top of my head.

As a static object or some other form, I would like to see this added so we can add this as a mission editor part. Would this be possible? (P.S., if this is already a thing, then please tell me where to find it, I was unable to search for it in Mission Editor.)

Thanks!

Edited by Sirius
poll
  • Like 1

The funny thing is, there are scripting hooks for turning on all kinds of beacons, similar to how you can (not that prettily) create NDBs out of almost any units. The problem is that it's… flakey, to put it mildly, and most beacons would require more settings and parameters than this command allows for.

It's there, but not fully functioning or exposed to the mission designer, unfortunately. Chances are that so much of the beacon functionality is still tied to map specifics — locations, terrain heights and surrounding terrain, bearings, glide slopes, etc — that they pretty much have to be hard-coded (i.e. modded) into the map data to work properly at the moment.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

66368 names register here, 24 votes....0.036 of a percent care about this.

For this to matter, I think you need more than 30000 votes. That goes for all this other polls.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Personally I think the best way to go about this is to have a selection of NAVAIDs that can be placed, configured, turned on and off etc.

So you basically have objects for VOR, NDB, ILS (both localiser and glide path), TACAN, RSBN, PRMG, DME, MKR etc. Heck maybe even airport beacons.

Then you can assign transmitting power, frequency, callsigns/identifiers etc. For things like PRMG and ILS GP you should have the ability to adjust the descent angle as desired.

You could even do the same thing for PAPI lights for instance.

TACAN, PRMG, RSBN and even ILS I think come in mobile or temporary forms. Maybe for each NAVAID have a couple of variations (small/big, different antenna styles where applicable) for TACAN you could have things like man-portable, vehicle mounted and static installations.

There are couple of different NDB set-ups too, some like the T-antenna like we have in the DCS Caucasus map, some are mast radiators with 'top hats' or parasitic elements (like in the UK).

Same goes for VORs, there are smaller set-ups, DVORs (slightly different antenna elements) as well as VORTAC (with TACAN mounted on the VOR) and VOR-DMEs (which have DME transponders mounted in the middle of the VOR, again like most if not all of the DVORs in the UK).

I'm getting sidetracked but ultimately I think the best solution is to add ground vehicles/static objects that can be configured for on/off, frequency, identifier, callsign, maybe transmitting power (and thus range) and for ILS glide path and PRMG, a descent angle to configure the angle of the horizontal beam.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

66368 names register here, 24 votes....0.036 of a percent care about this.

For this to matter, I think you need more than 30000 votes. That goes for all this other polls.

Not all bother to vote even if the subject would interest them. One reason for this would be that the poll options are set up poorly. There are a lot of steps between "no use whatsoever" and "yes let's implement".

Measuring how many people push a button on an optional poll is hardly decisive data on what people want.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

• 2 weeks later...

I support with what Mike says. There is obviously a high count of how many people have viewed this thread, but certainly not a lot of people have voted for it. People can agree with you but not submit their vote. The key is more awareness.

• 3 weeks later...

This feature is important for the sandbox nature of DCS. For example, using the Normandy map for a Cold War scenario would necessitate RSBN/ADF and TACAN stations, as would proper adversary scenarios in Nevada (e.g. using the MiG-21 with RSBN instead of refitting it with TACAN).

In addition to the ability to add navaids ad-hoc, I would really like for ED to create default arbitrary RSBN/TACAN/ADF/VOR navaids that can be enabled or disabled in the ME so that there are consistent default channels for each airfield.

Yeah , constant source of frustration re map-aircraft-beacons . Though I have NTTR , PG , the Caucasus remains my favorite map and as stated , has very limited beacons even for Warsaw Pact aircraft , let alone Western . It is why I mostly nav by INS in the Hornet , and dead reckoning (sp?) in the L-39 . Further , i have to hack bad weather landings with the INS at airfields in All maps , which especially galls me in NTTR . USA map , USA aircraft (hornet)

and i STILL can't ILS/CILS into an airfield . [End rant]

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I believe a lot of players that use DCS are in for the realism and accuracy and so far having little to none airfields in DCS with these most simplistic radio features does take away a level of that realism. Would also be awesome if it was already incorporated/built into DCS than rather having to use a script for it.

Thanks for that @discwalker

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

More IC breaker stuff

DCS World Topics » Mods and Apps » DCS Mods » Persian Gulf beacon mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217594

NTTR/Groom lake ICLS:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3584472&postcount=45

Caucasus/Senaki ICLS:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3621821&postcount=62

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• 1 month later...

I personally support this thread . Would love to see more all-weather nav options for the L39 , in particular . It is my favorite stick-and-rudder aircraft , but i have to fly it dead-reckoning and VFR only in NTTR and Persion Gulf .

As already stated , not enough beacons even in the Caucasus . I also fly the Hornet , and it's INS makes it less of a problem , but the lack of land-based CILS is painful when things get really down-and-dirty-even in NTTR !

You have my vote for sure, I just wish beacons and smoke etc worked correctly in MP

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

DCS World Topics » Mods and Apps » DCS Mods » Persian Gulf beacon mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217594

NTTR/Groom lake ICLS:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3584472&postcount=45

Caucasus/Senaki ICLS:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3621821&postcount=62

Thanks for that , but personally , i use no mods (except SRS and VoiceAttack-if these are considered mods) . I just don't need the headaches and concerns about integrity checks-if MP is ever fixed .

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to see the Ground TACAN be fitted with the ADF option, so you can do things as simple as Build a FARP, add the TACAN/ADF set your freqs, Transmission Morse Code, Radio Wattage,  and be done with it.  Simple Easy and VERY useful. 

Edited by JABowders
  • Like 2