Mission Editor usability improvements

Napa

Hi Devs and community,

Been thinking on a list that can improve usability and user experience in DCS Mission Editor. Hopefully ED Devs take a few items on this list into account as it can greatly increase productivity in mission creation, users will become less error prone and generally more efficient in mission and campaign creation.

*Disclaimer:

- This list doesn't have any wishes on new triggers or trigger rules.

- haven't looked around in forums to confirm whether others have already posted some of the following items, or if some of them are already in the works, so its up to you guys to filter them out.

- Also this list is single player based. If any multiplayer users got ideas please share. I haven't got to the multiplayer part yet.

1. Undo / Redo - It would be nice to have history states (at least 50 to 100). Also add a keyboard shortcuts like CTRL - Z for undo and CTRL - SHIFT - Z for Redo.

2. Copy/Cut - Paste - I know this function already exists as a keyboard shortcut, but it would be nice to be added on the header Edit menu so that users know its availability.

3. Delete shortcut key - Don't make me go and press that X button on the left sidebar everytime I have to delete something. Its annoying.

4. Multiple selection of objects - I know this works but its very basic. A lot more functionality should go hand-in-hand.

For example:

a) Delete

b) Copy - Paste

c) Cut - Paste

d) Ability to move multiple objects at once

e) Grouping - Ungrouping objects. This functionality can make things so much easier when I have to select multiple units that share the same mission goals for example.

5. Add multiple coalitions and ability to create multiple country presets.

6. Ability to select different colors, and different names for each coalition, instead of Red, Blue etc.

7. Default Static templates for all maps:

I know this might be in the works but ED should already have default templates on ALL airfields for ALL maps that can be loaded by users. At the moment the editor feels empty, and that a lot of content is missing. Content can be:

- Airbases/Airfields/Airports

- Ports

- Oil rigs

- Factories etc.

8. Mission generator - Nodes should be able to generate battlefields in the current mission without erasing any other objects that users have placed beforehand. Also have the ability to generate battles in multiple locations. I understand that missions can become very heavy and ultimately unplayable when multiple battle locations are taking place which brings me to my next item.

9. Have an indication on the bottom left that shows mission performance efficiency based on users PC hardware. E.g. If a user has 16GB of RAM and place a lot more units that the PC can handle it should warn the user to remove some objects or install more RAM with a subtle indication on the bottom left.

10. Object Templates - I have seen that a lot of work has been done so far but a lot more still needs to be done here. Users need to have the ability to populate the maps fast and efficient. One way to do this is by having a lot of default templates made by ED.

11. Ground objects like infantry should have the option to be added in small - medium - large numbers and should facilitate random tactical movement in game based on alertness or status. This option should also be present for other ground objects like vehicle groups.

12. Have the ability to add static objects faster. Its frustrating to have to deselect the static object once I placed in on the map and then go back and reselect static objects and place the new one again. Perhaps a + (plus) button on the top right that indicates adding new static objects of the same category or perhaps selecting how many objects to place before placing them.. don't know but a solution is needed here.

Once I have more items or ideas I will update this post. Please feel free to share if you also have anything else in mind.

Thanks ED for all your hard work so far. Looking forward to a better DCS World in 2019 :)

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

@ 3.

There is a Delete shortcut. It's the "Delete" key.

Doesn't work for me.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

5. Add multiple coalitions and ability to create multiple country presets.

This is exactly what I came on the forum to ask for, as we get more maps (plus different alternate scenarios with differing and unusual coalitions) the standard modern preset and one custom preset aren't enough I think. Being able to save and name your presets like we do with weapon loadouts would be very useful.