DeHavilland Sea Vixen

WichitaMODEX

Any chance you all can do the Sea Vixen after the F-8? Its a beautiful aircraft that hasn't been modeled in really any game that I am aware of, but there are flying or at least running examples of the type. Plus it is beautiful. With what you all did with the MiG-21 and I am sure will do with the F-8, I think you all would be a great company to take it on.

Questions, that I think as the OP, you should answer.

What historical events did it take part in? Is it actually popular or famous? How would it fit in to the current or not-far-off scope of DCS, or would it carve a niche for itself?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure. It served in the Aden Emergency in Tanganika and Yemen from 1963-1967. It was an all weather, carrier based interceptor crewed by a pilot and RIO; a contemporary to such aircraft as the F-4 Phantom as well as the F-8 Crusader, and a contemporary adversary of the MiG-15, 19, and 21 (and 17...); and very briefly the MiG-23. It isn't famous because I would bet most people don't know what it is, though Red Bull showed and flew one for many years (though it appears it was damaged in 2017 and has not been returned to flight as of yet). It would provide another great carrier based interceptor that isn't another run of the mill American airplane (most NATO countries were flying US aircraft at this point). My understanding is that it was very advanced for when it was designed. It can also be fitted with rockets and bombs for ground attack. The FAW.2 seems to be the definitive model. Interestingly, it was not supersonic capable in level flight.

I think it would be a hit in DCS, something that people didn't know was really, really cool until it was unveiled and people started to look into it seriously. Also: The JF-17 is not historically significant, is quite odd, and not really popular or famous. And it still sells well. The Sea Vixen would offer a lot of different experiences in one package. Plus we already have multicrew capability and an AI RIO...

Edit: And they are known to have cross decked on the Forrestal...Also nuke capable and could buddy tank. And used in 2 UK aerobatic teams.

Edited by WichitaMODEX
Adding info

I would love to see this modelled - the Royal Navy historic Navy Wings collection has one but it suffered a wheels up landing in 2017 and is currently in preservation maintenance mode while they work out how to bring it back to flying condition

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Good god what did radar operators do to De Havilland......

The MOD probably specced out the plane without a radar first. Then it was added later is my guess :music_whistling:

Actually I think it could be a neat addition to DCS, but they you have to have yet another carrier etc. And while it or better yet the Blackburn Buccaneer would be cool as hell planes, they just aren't nearly as iconic as some of the US stuff (like a naval F4 variant) (and I'm familiar with UK naval aviation). On the plus side the UK will get the SHAR harrier and the Invicinble for it so that should mollify some in the meantime.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I agree that it would take a special breed to want to occupy the coal hole, both in game and in real life. But since we already have AI RIO tech in one A/C, this might be a good platform for Mag 3 to build a RIO that they can port to the F-4 later; perhaps with less pressure for perfection from purchasers...

Also, at least the Brits were nice enough to put a window in the side! But I bet that position smelled like air sickness.

Agreed. And I don't think many players will sign up to sit in the baggage compartment that is the plane's radar operator station...

dd41d72e2e89ad09d0a986c7eb9d11c9.jpg

This is a collection of developers that gave us a supersonic balalaika that absolutely reviles the idea of going a speed that doesn't at least begin with a "4" in km/h on your air speed indicator.

I think this is just the team and the customer base that'd want a ride in the 600+ KTAS rumble seat.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I don't normally like asking/wishing threads but in this case I'll make an exception, I'd buy a Sea Vixen on day one on the basis of novelty alone. I like bizarre designs and this definitely qualifies.

Left my heart in Palmdale, now it's full of sand.

Me personally I'd sit this one out. I sit out many modules though, and only got the F-14 in the last sale, when it finally participated in one.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, at least the Brits were nice enough to put a window in the side! But I bet that position smelled like air sickness.

They normally covered up the windows so no light would get in..

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

While i love the vixen i feel like the buccaneer would be a better choice given the variety of ordanance and service length.

I definitely agree with this! +1:thumbup:

Having said that, ANYTHING with a tailhook gets my vote - and money!! I'd really like to see a RN carrier as well though. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, the Buccaneer would be a better choice objectively... and it is a great aircraft...

The Sex Vixen was some thing of a death trap as well...

But the ultimate development of the Vampire bauplan? With an asymmetrical cockpit? And an odd variety of air-to-ground ordinance...? I'd pre-order it over a Buccaneer (and just about anything else other than a Su-22)!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Sea_Vixen_of_892_NAS_on_USS_Forrestal_%28CVA-59%29_c1962.jpg

If the recoil-less rifle version had been made it'd have been even weirder...

Excuse me...ummm.... don’t leave me hanging here.......

The original specs apparently had a 114mm recoil-less rifle with proximity fused shells... it appears it was a way to keep out of the range of the defensive gunners without having to rely on air-to-air missiles and unguided rockets (the eventual solution adopted)...

In contrast the recoil-less rifle that the OV-10 was to have been designed around was to simplify logistics when operating from forward bases (as it could use the same ammunition as used by the army) and to have more fire-power efficiency for weight than unguided rockets would provide...

They were two of the last proposals for recoil-less rifles on aircraft.

So it's the first time I post something on the forum but I do it because I think that the Buccaneer and the Sea vixen are two very different aircraft : the Sea vixen was a fighter and the Buccaneer an attack aircraft and I think that the Sea Vixen could be a good opponent to the Mig19 (and maybe the Mig21). For me those aircraft are brother, they need each other.