Can anyone give tips on carrier take off

Neil Gardner

Well, first and foremost you have to come aligned from way back the shuttle position. When you are moving around the deck, go way behind the blast defelctor, align and then come to to the catapult position.

Secondly, well, it may be cheating, but use your external views to check your alignment and shuttle position. In real life there are lots of yellow jackets to help pilots move and guide themselves around the deck. Check the video below so you can have an idea,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDpslqbZKRU

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

RodBorza has pretty much nailed it. In addition, when you are approaching the the jet blast deflector (JBD) from behind, align it in such a way, that you "W" symbol on HUD is directly overlying the catapult line. This way you can almost perfectly align your nose wheel with catapult shuttle laterally. Taxi forward until you can just see the shuttle. Lower your launch bar. Then taxi forward a bit more, keeping in mind that the nose wheel is just slightly behind the pilot. So imagine your pilot body being right on top of the shuttle - this is your proper position for hookup. It's ok to be slightly behind the catapult shuttle - it will still hook you up. Don't overdo it, as if you taxi in front of it, even a bit, it won't hook you up. Use F2 as applicable - without the desk crew it's not cheating :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I spent some time practicing alignment on each of the 4 cats because you can be directed to any of them. When I achieved correct alignment I took a couple of screenshots of the pilot view to reference points on the CVN deck and equipment, like the IFLOLS. Print out the screenshots and practice lining up by matching pilot view with the screenshots. Best not to rely on F2 views as some MP servers do not allow them.

You do not need an outside view to align on the cat.

Put the nose on the center of the groove, roll slowly to the shoe, look out your right side for a reference point like the little hatch with the yellow caution marking and stop when your right shoulder is aligned with the aft end of it. This works every time for Cat 1. You can do the same thing with each Cat just find your reference point and train your eye.

You will get so good at it you will find yourself doing this perfectly and faster every time.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

In the beginning, it's also a good idea to place a static object (I use some yellow shirts from the Deck Crew mod) as reference, if you can't find a good reference point on the ship. Don't rely on it though, since you won't always have that object in all missions. It's just to help you in the beginning.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I'm learning too.I've only done it 5 times.

First 2 times I went way past they cat, third time I went in the drink out of frustation. Then i spent more time on moving throttle up super slow until it just started moving. I then hit the cat the next 2 times straight up.

So for me - hardest part was power/brakes. So if thats the same for you, just go slow.

If you have a lining up issue, then just either head towards stern, then turn back around to give you more time.

another option - just go to a runway, practive lining up on a line somewhere. once there, look around, pick another line that isnt straight ahead...repeat. then for finer adjustment, use the external view.

Also, I was surprised how far back the auto connect thingy works, I was like 4 foot back at a guess and it pulled me in.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME

Line up the nose with the centre of catapault down the deck.Then go forward till you see the square marking on the deck line up at 90 degrees to your position in cockpit then stop lower bar and press u. You will be lined up perfectly without outside views.I will try to get a screen shot to show what i mean later after i get home.

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Well, first and foremost you have to come aligned from way back the shuttle position. When you are moving around the deck, go way behind the blast defelctor, align and then come to to the catapult position.

Secondly, well, it may be cheating, but use your external views to check your alignment and shuttle position. In real life there are lots of yellow jackets to help pilots move and guide themselves around the deck. Check the video below so you can have an idea,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDpslqbZKRU

Its not cheating at all. Until DCS has animated ground crew guiding you onto the launch bar this is the only way to get on the catapult.

Look F2

Position with lowered launchbar, connect

Check if this raises the trust barrier ok

Back inside with F1

Look around outside and find a line or spot to remember where exactly you are

Remember how you find this spot

Or, do Ctrl-F1 'HUD only'

position yourself with F2

in F1 'HUD only' look down and see where you are.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

You do not need an outside view to align on the cat.

Put the nose on the center of the groove, roll slowly to the shoe, look out your right side for a reference point like the little hatch with the yellow caution marking and stop when your right shoulder is aligned with the aft end of it. This works every time for Cat 1. You can do the same thing with each Cat just find your reference point and train your eye.

You will get so good at it you will find yourself doing this perfectly and faster every time.

There is a mod that puts a hashed red white line where to stop, you align your shoulder with it and your good. Google it I think I got it from the files section on ED.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Cat 1/2/4 both have helpful deck markings you can align the pilot on - next time you hook up look 90 deg left/right & you'll see a line on some marking pointing at you. There is something useful for Cat 3 too but I can't remember what it is, I just remember where the shuttle is when I'm taxiiing. It's the same for Hornet & Tomcat alike.

My other Hornet tip would be elevator trim set to 18, but that's not carrier specific...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

There is a mod that puts a hashed red white line where to stop, you align your shoulder with it and your good. Google it I think I got it from the files section on ED.

Cool. Thanks for that info

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10