F\A-18 Cluster Bombs - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
tedcrowley18

Default F\A-18 Cluster Bombs

Hey guys, first time poster long time reader of the forums. With that being said, let's get started...I haven't seen any word on a cluster bomb that is actually effective in the game play for the F-18. I was wondering, has anyone seen or heard about any updates about getting a fixed or improved one?

Thanks for the responses!
VAF-136 #305
tedcrowley18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
LastRifleRound

Welcome!!

Depends on the target. Mk20's I find are very effective against soft skinned vehicles up to IFV's. It's like a Mk83 you get to be more inaccurate with. Against heavy armor, you'll need to up your concentration (drop in pairs and closer together).

Against supply convoys, the Mk20 is an absolute column eraser.

Just my .02

The JSOW has a variant with SFW munitions that will be absolutely wicked when it comes out (similar to I think the CBU97 the Hog and Viper can use).
LastRifleRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:11 AM   #3
Marauder.exe

A single Mk 20/CBU-99 will not provide the required density in sub-munitions to result in a reliable probability of hit/kill. Your best bet is to release them in pairs or greater ripple quantities. There is a Harrier TACMAN out there that will recommend 4 canisters for a point target. Key thing to take away from this: you need enough sub-munitions to totally saturate a target area.
Marauder.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #4
Bunny Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRifleRound View Post
The JSOW has a variant with SFW munitions that will be absolutely wicked when it comes out (similar to I think the CBU97 the Hog and Viper can use).
That would be the AGM-154B variant, which never worked right and got canceled. We won't be getting it in DCS.

The AGM-154A uses the CEM bombletts from the CBU-87, and is probably the most effective cluster bomb system we'll have in the Hornet. The Mk.20 / CBU-99 is decent against soft targets, but pretty useless against anything with armor.
Bunny Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #5
LastRifleRound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Clark View Post
That would be the AGM-154B variant, which never worked right and got canceled. We won't be getting it in DCS.

The AGM-154A uses the CEM bombletts from the CBU-87, and is probably the most effective cluster bomb system we'll have in the Hornet. The Mk.20 / CBU-99 is decent against soft targets, but pretty useless against anything with armor.
Didn't know that thanks for the correction. Looks like when the Air Force pulled out of JSOW, the 154B got dropped along with it.
LastRifleRound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Juanillo

Quote:

I use the mk20 for any kind of targets and works very good. Sometimes, if you don't kill him is almost dead. 4Example, the geepard AAA you wont kill him with one bomb but it'll be useless without radar as you destroys it.
Im doing at 500ft as max of alt. of use. Like a mk82 air or snakeye, and the explosions wont hit you.
Juanillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
Stubbies2003

Quote:
The Mk.20 / CBU-99 is decent against soft targets, but pretty useless against anything with armor.

Not true. I've used Mk. 20 rockeyes on M-1/T-90 all the time in MP. Odds are you will need two to get the job fully done. However calling them "pretty useless" against anything with armor is completely hyperbolic/wrong.
Stubbies2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Bunny Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbies2003 View Post
Not true. I've used Mk. 20 rockeyes on M-1/T-90 all the time in MP. Odds are you will need two to get the job fully done. However calling them "pretty useless" against anything with armor is completely hyperbolic/wrong.
Huh. I've never had much luck with them, but I've mostly only dropped one at a time, so it sounds like I've been using them wrong. Thanks for the correction.
Bunny Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #9
Stubbies2003

Quote:
Huh. I've never had much luck with them, but I've mostly only dropped one at a time, so it sounds like I've been using them wrong. Thanks for the correction.

I also drop in singles. The Mk. 20 is one of my favorite weapons for the hornet and I use it all the time. Including the aforementioned-M-1-/ T-90 tanks. If I get a good hit in I can take out a LeClerc in one shot but not unusual for me to have to make two passes with singles against the big boy tanks.

Now if I have the choice I will use the AGM-65F against the big boys but it doesn't always pan out that way. You must be pretty accurate with the rockeye to get good damage.

Last edited by Stubbies2003; 09-17-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Stubbies2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Frederf
Veteran

Historically killing armor with unitary bombs was poor. Accuracy of unguided bomb delivery and needed to kill a tank were incompatible. It was like shooting skeet pigeons with a rifle.

CBUs are shotguns. They bring the required accuracy to the level of performed accuracy. The bomblet still has to hit the tank to damage it. Take the footprint of a tank and divide it by the circular area of the impact zone and multiply it by the number of submunitions. If that number is 0.5 then you have a 50% chance of a submunition hitting the tank. Very quickly you realize that it becomes a question of how many CBUs does it take to kill one tank and not how many tanks can be killed by one CBU.

Unfortunately our control over the dispersion parameters is limited especially in the Hornet. We can't change HOF and instead of the 247 submunitions in the real weapon how many are in DCS? 21. So take your probability of hit and multiply it by 21/247. If you drop 8 CBU-99 at once you get 168 submunition total or less than 247 of one weapon.

I did a drop where at least 5 Mk 118s hit a T-72 (dropped 8 CBU) and it was killed about four times over. If the Mk 118 hits a tank that tank is really hurt. The significant part of that sentence is "if."
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote