SC IFLOLS overlay correct?

Nealius

I'm having problems in the Tomcat after coming from consistent 3-wires on the Stennis and typically 3- or 4-wires in the Hornet on the SC.

I understand the LSO is calibrated for the Hornet but not the Tomcat, which explains incorrect "slow" calls.

However, is the IFLOLS overlay correct? It consistently gives me a low ball until 1/4 mile, then the ball suddenly shoots to the sky between 1/4 mile and over the ramp. Seeing the ball suddenly shoot upwards, I reduce power and hit DLC twice, snagging a 1-wire every single time.

It seems rather odd compared to the old Stennis, and even compared to the Hornet on the SC.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure. Since the SC release I haven't gotten a single 3-wire, where I used to get consistent 3-wires on the Stennis. Recently I've had a good ball on deck (don't know about IFLOLS as I disable the popup), but as I cross the ramp it suddenly shoots high. I get 2-wires 90% of the time from me mashing the DLC upon seeing the ball shoot to the sky. The other 10% of the time I'm boltering or snagging a 4-wire.

Was the glideslope itself supposed to be different for the Tomcat, or just the approach speeds and AOA?

Just speeds and AoA, I think.

What I don't understand is Hook-Eye Distance and Desired Hook Touchdown Point. Each aircraft has a different Hook-Eye Distance that's used to calibrate the IFLOLs, but the NATOPS LSO manual says that IFLOLS is also compensated for all Hook-Eye distances to provide constant hook path regardless of aircraft.

But looking at Figure 4-10 from the manual, if the Hook-Eye distance is set to a Hornet, and the aircraft is actually a Tomcat (longer Hook-Eye distance), then the ball will be giving you incorrect glideslope information. Since the Tomcat pilot's viewpoint will be higher than that of a Hornet pilot's viewpoint, I suppose that would give you a high ball even when on glideslope?

But looking at Figure 4-10 from the manual, if the Hook-Eye distance is set to a Hornet, and the aircraft is actually a Tomcat (longer Hook-Eye distance), then the ball will be giving you incorrect glideslope information. Since the Tomcat pilot's viewpoint will be higher than that of a Hornet pilot's viewpoint, I suppose that would give you a high ball even when on glideslope?

This is correct. Following a centered ball in the DCS F-14 perfectly will earn you a 1 wire just about every time. It's still a "correct" glideslope, but not a correct hook touchdown point.

I'm having problems in the Tomcat after coming from consistent 3-wires on the Stennis and typically 3- or 4-wires in the Hornet on the SC.

I understand the LSO is calibrated for the Hornet but not the Tomcat, which explains incorrect "slow" calls.

However, is the IFLOLS overlay correct? It consistently gives me a low ball until 1/4 mile, then the ball suddenly shoots to the sky between 1/4 mile and over the ramp. Seeing the ball suddenly shoot upwards, I reduce power and hit DLC twice, snagging a 1-wire every single time.

It seems rather odd compared to the old Stennis, and even compared to the Hornet on the SC.

This sounds more like that you enter the groove too low and approach with a too flat glidepath.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

We are aware, thank you!

Just a sidenote: We haven't made any changes to ACLS since before SC release, in the meantime it broke and fixed itself again and now seems to be broken again. It is likely that we will have to wait, till ED is done with potential changes to it. Thank you for your kind patience.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 3 years later...

Any news on the IFLOLS overlay for F-14? 

Chizh has answered me earlier that I should ask Heatblur about it's behavior. 

• Like 1
Спойлер

ASRock X570, Ryzen 9 3900X, Kingston HyperX 64GB 3200 MHz, XFX RX6900XT MERC 319 16GB, SSD for DCS - Patriot P210 2048GB, HP Reverb G2.

WINWING Orion 2 throttle, VPC Rotor Plus TCS + Hawk-60 grip, VPC WarBRD + MongoosT-50CM2/V.F.X (F-14) grips. Logitech G940 pedals🥲