Guess what! Easy AAR!

Gregkar

I know it has been asked before but ED told me to reopen a new thread. I think we REALLY need an easy AAR option. It is easily the hardest part of DCS.

To those who will start raging: "This is a simulator!! not a game!!" i say: ask ED to remove easy comms, arcade flight model, active pause, immortal cheat, start airplane cheat, unlimited fuel, unlimited ammo, hide stick, auto align a/c to catapult etc...

• Like 1

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To those who will start raging: "This is a simulator!! not a game!!" i say: ask ED to remove easy comms, arcade flight model, active pause, immortal cheat, start airplane cheat, unlimited fuel, unlimited ammo, hide stick, auto align a/c to catapult etc...

Nah mate, just quote the product description and you're good.

There is an option like that in Falcon 4, once you're close enough to the drogue and within certain contact parameters (is in the final meters IIRC) the AI connects and keep you there until refuelled. Maybe Gregkar is asking to something like this.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Not to sound a prick but what is so difficult for you in AAR ? I mean, sure, if you are trying to do with a keyboard it might not be easy but if we go that route, what is next? being able to do everything with a console controller?

My systems:

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-8700k

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Asus ROG 2080ti

HP Reverb

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Nvidia Quadro M4000M

TrackIR 5

There is an option like that in Falcon 4, once you're close enough to the drogue and within certain contact parameters (is in the final meters IIRC) the AI connects and keep you there until refuelled. Maybe Gregkar is asking to something like this.

Yes, Exactly this :)

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not to sound a prick but what is so difficult for you in AAR ? I mean, sure, if you are trying to do with a keyboard it might not be easy but if we go that route, what is next? being able to do everything with a console controller?

I can connect, but not stay connected. And yes i get that it needs practice, but i don't have the time for it. Prefer to spend it on flying missions. And it would/could be an on-off option like all the others i mentioned. Someone who is better than me can just not enable it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We already have easy air to air refuelling!!

No probe damage (would be good if they actually snapped off etc along with next point)

No tanker basket or boom damage

No oscillation of the drogue pipe whipping back.

No real sudden turbulence modelling or realistic weather effects re sudden changes.

No line up procedure.

Probe sometimes magic's into the basket from the side.

No comm's (as in what you would normally expect with the tanker).

Ability to put user curves in.

Ok so that's why its easy - what i would say is practice practice and pracitice, its like riding a bike there is just a feel to it. Key is getting trim and speed right and making slow adjustments.

I would state for air to air refuelling quality of hardware does matter quite a bit also re input.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

I can connect, but not stay connected. And yes i get that it needs practice, but i don't have the time for it. Prefer to spend it on flying missions. And it would/could be an on-off option like all the others i mentioned. Someone who is better than me can just not enable it

And here lies the problem, "no time for that"! Don't expect to be good at anything in life without practice.

I rather suspect you prefer to be flying around blowing stuff up, as if it was just flying you would have developed the formation flying skills needed to tank the aircraft.

Back to basic's i'm afraid. Put the time in or don't expect to get good at this game in any detail.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

A few years ago, in my early sixties, I developed a shake, not chronic but enough for me to realise after many hours trying I will never be able to refuel. Some form of auto refuel is the only way I'll ever get to do it.

Now I suppose I'll get ppl saying I shouldn't be playing it at all! Probably ppl who use "cheats" themselves.

To the OP you missed out the biggest cheat off all(zoom), How many videos has any-one seen of a pilot using binoculars while landing?

yeah sorry mate. This is a sim (not being facetious). A2AR is difficult IRL...just watch any of the videos on YT especially the ones that focus on the pilot maintaining position (the larger birds) - you'll see all the little adjustments they're making...no autopilot there.

Just practice. The Hornet is the easiest to refuel...I have curves added to my joystick and throttle (very important to maintain the right spacing) and I can do it without any problems. However i still struggle with the boom. Only ever done full tanking with the viper and hog once.

BUT when you finally nail it, its a massive achievement. So practice.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Thank you for a friendly reply, I have actually managed to connect a couple of times in the Hornet when using AP, but even then one little twitch and I lose it. And I've spent a lot of time adjusting curves etc to no avail. I know using Hornets AP is not the best way but it's the only way I'll ever do it.

It still works in the Hornet ok, and you can still bank without it disengaging although pitch will disengage it. For pitching I use up and down trim which removes the colon on the UFC but essentially keeps it on for roll but not pitch.

Easy AAR is called "Unlimited Fuel":megalol:

This. There is already an “easy” solution.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I just started for the first time three days ago, because I knew it was coming up in the Mirage campaign, and after practicing an hour per day for three days, I'm 1000x better than I was when I started. It's not impossible by any means. Unless of course you have a physical barrier like Falby above (sorry to hear Falby). But if not, just try a training mission a few times. It will get you better at formation flying and everything else probably too. And it will make sure you are comfortable with your curves if you have any set up.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

If you want extra immersion, you could enable unlimited fuel but still place a tanker jet in the mission. When you decide it's time to AAR, you can join up on the tanker, fly as close a formation as you feel comfortable (heck you could even radio it), and then fly formation with it until you "feel" you've completed the process, then resume your mission...

Gets ~90% the same experience without begging ED for a special game mode.. is available right now, and you won't have to wait 4+ years for it (and dealing with all the other stuff it breaks when it's enabled).

...but really dude, go drop a KC-135 north of Nellis, take off and enjoy an afternoon of frustration and defeat. It's great reading the posts of users that are so proud to overcome that hurdle....

I will rephrase then, we need EASIER AAR.

Just to clear some things up.

I have practiced, in fact i am practicing 1h almost every day for the past 3 months. I don't know if it's enough, but this is the time i can spend to it. still can't do it. It feels some sort of a health problem to me, i always had this, when i need to do something that requires patience, and small corrections i just snap and wanna brake everything around me.

I have many other things to pay attention to in my life, more important than dcs. I just wanna fly around and blow stuff up, aar and turn back to base. And i am not the only one. IF dcs didn't have all the rest cheats i mentioned, then i would have respected it and stfu. BUT they have all sorts of easy options except an option for the hardest part in the sim (as Chuck also says in his guides).

I don't get why there is no "drama" about magically auto aligning in the catapult (U key) but people go "crazy" about easy AAR. It could be an on/off option, auto catapult align fx doesn't even have an off option :p

For the guys mentioned the F/A-18: i mainly fly the Viper.

I have tried some curves, didn't help at all.

About hardware: i use the reverb, TM TWCS and the Warthog stick

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you want extra immersion, you could enable unlimited fuel but still place a tanker jet in the mission. When you decide it's time to AAR, you can join up on the tanker, fly as close a formation as you feel comfortable (heck you could even radio it), and then fly formation with it until you "feel" you've completed the process, then resume your mission...

Gets ~90% the same experience without begging ED for a special game mode.. is available right now, and you won't have to wait 4+ years for it (and dealing with all the other stuff it breaks when it's enabled).

...but really dude, go drop a KC-135 north of Nellis, take off and enjoy an afternoon of frustration and defeat. It's great reading the posts of users that are so proud to overcome that hurdle....

This is what i do now! :D thanx for understanding.. i just thought give it a try and ask for it in the the wishlist thread.. you never know, miracles do happen sometimes :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It feels some sort of a health problem to me, i always had this, when i need to do something that requires patience, and small corrections i just snap and wanna brake everything around me.

I'm pretty sure everybody felt that way about AAR when they were just starting out. It does that.

As others have mentioned it is, even now, somewhat simplified. Just as catapults will auto align the aircraft to some extent (at least until the SC released?) You'll get impossible connections with the tanker. As you gain more experience you'll notice this. Especially when it comes to the cyborg boom operator that's absolutely flawless at their job!:pilotfly:

Sounds like you might also need a break from stuff like Air Refueling. Overtraining can become a hindrance to your learning if you reach the point where building skills is replaced by building frustration. Take some time to process the experience. Ideally, you should be enjoying the incredible challenge.

You may have also reached a "Learning Plateau" where you feel as though you are making little progress for the effort applied (and this might be a demonstrated stagnation)... but this is a normal experience for many people, and often ends with the "breakthough" which can be exhilarating.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.touringmachine.com%2Fimages%2FAviationInstructorsHandbook%2FLearningPlateau.png&f=1&nofb=1

I have practiced, in fact i am practicing 1h almost every day for the past 3 months.

Oh that doesn’t sound abnormal. It took me several weeks. But the good news is that it’s like riding a bicycle and once you get it you got it. In fact it is like a bicycle because that’s what you’re doing, you’re training yourself to anticipate the behavior of the aircraft and not just respond to it. If you respond, you’re too late and out of phase and you oscillate like a wobbly bike. When you anticipate you’re in phase and suddenly everything is good.

You may have also reached a "Learning Plateau" where you feel as though you are making little progress for the effort applied (and this might be a demonstrated stagnation)... but this is a normal experience for many people, and often ends with the "breakthough" which can be exhilarating.

Are you holding your stick in a death grip, drenched in sweat? Time to take a break... :joystick:

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

We already have easy air to air refuelling!!

No probe damage (would be good if they actually snapped off etc along with next point)

No tanker basket or boom damage

No oscillation of the drogue pipe whipping back.

No real sudden turbulence modelling or realistic weather effects re sudden changes.

No line up procedure.

Probe sometimes magic's into the basket from the side.

No comm's (as in what you would normally expect with the tanker).

Ability to put user curves in.

Ok so that's why its easy - what i would say is practice practice and pracitice, its like riding a bike there is just a feel to it. Key is getting trim and speed right and making slow adjustments.

I would state for air to air refuelling quality of hardware does matter quite a bit also re input.

Be very very careful from what you are whining..... :music_whistling:

eV6ia7U.jpg

402617219_DCSSUPERTANKER.jpg.0cd3c13d361f7c7ffa7e783c5a813b24.jpg

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.