Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Could you please provide a simple explanation of how to add, subtract, etc docs in the Mig 21 kneeboard content folder.

Check out this short overview and tutorial that Bunyap has put together on youtube:

The only difference for the Mig-21 is after you select the Mig-21 in the 'Select Aircraft ' drop down box you will see another drop down box appear in the upper right corner that will allow you to select the Default Mig-21 kneeboard or the Custom Mig-21 kneeboard. You can add and remove image groups to both kneeboards following the directions in the video.

The 'default' group listed under the Mig-21 contains the default images for the default kneeboard. If you wish to modify the images in that default group you will need to first make a copy of the default group by selecting the default group then clicking the 'copy' button on the lower left. Enter a group name for the copy and click 'Save'.

If you want to view what is already on the kneeboards, click on View -> Kneeboard Folders -> Mig-21Bis Kneeboard then either Default Kneeboard or Custom Kneeboard.

I assume that you have to continue using the unique keyboard shortcuts to use the kneeboard in the Mig 21. Correct?

Yes, functionality within the sim remains the same.

Will your program resize and relocate the Mig 21 kneeboard?

Yes. Go to Options -> Kneeboard Settings -> Size and Position. The size and position settings are global, so it will affect kneeboards for all aircraft.

Feel free to let me know if you you need further clarification.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

How can one implement the kneeboard builder in the DCS open beta?

I have actually never tried it with the open beta. If I coded everything right you should be able to point the 'DCS World Install Directory' in 'Options -> Preferences' to your open beta directory.

Make sure you point the 'Saved Games Directory' to your open beta saved games directory as well.

Please let me know if that works.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

It's easy, AlaskanGrizzly:

Your preferences page point to the DCS World install and the Saved Games folder. While changing the DCS World path will point to the Open Beta for things like the MiG-21 Default kneeboard and the kneeboard position/color settings, the Saved Games path will still point to Saved Games\DCS.

The user folder for the Open Beta is "Saved Games\DCS.openbeta". This could be as simple as adding a checkbox if you are using the beta, which will push the kneeboard files to the new folder in Saved Games. The simple, clean implementation would be to have paths for both DCS versions available in the preferences menu, and then if both paths are filled, have the checkbox or radio buttons appear in the GUI that selects which version of DCS is being customized.

Version 1.6.4.0 Released

Version 1.6.4.0 is now available.

Version 1.6.4.0 Changelog

-added support for DCS World OpenBeta

-added splash screen

-changelog now included in update prompt

-various minor GUI modifications

-various code and performance optimizations

NOTE:

Check the 'Open Beta' checkbox in 'Options -> Preferences' for use with DCS World OpenBeta

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I can't seem to get the kneeboard to work, i downloaded the folder and ran kneeboard.exe but i get "Kneeboard builder has stopped working" i have .NET framework 4.5.2 windows is up to date. windows 7 btw. idk why im getting this...

You may have a corrupt system .dll that is not working correctly.

Try running Microsoft's System Checker Tool by following these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You can also view your windows error logs and look for any error events that occur when you try running Kneeboard Builder:

To view the event logs:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

Look for any errors containing KneeboardBuilder.exe.

EDIT:

Sorry, I gave you directions for the windows 8 event viewer. To open the windows 7 event viewer click on the start menu -> control panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

Hello,

I ran the MS System Checker Tool and it came back with "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I actually ran it a few times.

One of my squad-mates sent me his older version, 1.6.3.1 and it works fine for me as long as I don't update to 1.6.4.0.

Great product overall though! Not sure why the new update is causing .NET run-time errors though for me.

~ LA

[sIGPIC]sigpic89379_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Intel Core Haswell i5-4670K OC @ 4.2GHz | Asus Z87-Plus mobo | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 Ram | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 OC w/ 8GB memory | Oculus Rift w/ Touch Controllers | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack | Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG |Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 4 C‬lip | Helios

Black Knights Squadron Member

Hello,

I ran the MS System Checker Tool and it came back with "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I actually ran it a few times.

One of my squad-mates sent me his older version, 1.6.3.1 and it works fine for me as long as I don't update to 1.6.4.0.

Great product overall though! Not sure why the new update is causing .NET run-time errors though for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

Could you please look at your windows error logs right after you try running Kneeboard Builder and let me know the details for any errors you have listed for Kneeboardbuilder.exe or save the log and pm me a copy

To view the error logs in windows 7:

click on the start menu -> control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> event viewer.

For windows 8:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

If you can't upload an .evtx file then a text file will do.

I appreciate your help.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

I looked at the event viewer and got the following.

KneeboardBuilder.exe

54d910c2

KERNELBASE.dll

5315a05a

e0434352

000000000000940d

01d04e17dfab1fdf

C:\Users\Stephen\Desktop\kneeboard builder\KneeboardBuilder.exe

C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

1e9bd7e7-ba0b-11e4-8975-f46d04e39c6c

I also ran the Microsoft's System Checker Tool and it said the following.

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 00000338 [sR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"wkscli.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WorkstationService-NetAPI, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 0000033a [sR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"wkscli.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WorkstationService-NetAPI, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 0000033b [sR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery"

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 0000033e [sR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"wkscli.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

i tried to do the "takeown /f c:\windows\system32\wkscli.dll" but i got an "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)" error. Sorry for the wall of text.

I looked at the event viewer and got the following.

KneeboardBuilder.exe

54d910c2

KERNELBASE.dll

5315a05a

e0434352

000000000000940d

01d04e17dfab1fdf

C:\Users\Stephen\Desktop\kneeboard builder\KneeboardBuilder.exe

C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

1e9bd7e7-ba0b-11e4-8975-f46d04e39c6c

I also ran the Microsoft's System Checker Tool and it said the following.

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 00000338 [sR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"wkscli.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WorkstationService-NetAPI, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 0000033a [sR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"wkscli.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-WorkstationService-NetAPI, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 0000033b [sR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery"

2015-02-21 15:28:17, Info CSI 0000033e [sR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"wkscli.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

i tried to do the "takeown /f c:\windows\system32\wkscli.dll" but i got an "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)" error. Sorry for the wall of text.

The KERNALBASE.DLL error occurs when you have a missing or corrupt system .dll. In your case it looks like the issue is the 'wkscli.dll'. You may want to try googling that .dll file and see if you can find a fix. You may need to repair or reinstall windows to fix it though.

You can try the prior version of Kneeboard Builder and see if that works for you. Here is the download link for version 1.6.3.1:

Kneeboard Builder Version 1.6.3.1

Sorry I could not be of more help to you.

EDIT:

It looks like 'wkscli.dll' is related to networking, so you could try disabling automatic update checks in Kneeboard Builder and see if that works for you.

Just open the 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config' file in notepad or notepad++ and add these lines inside the <configuration> </configuration> tags:

<appSettings>

<add key="AllowUpdate" value="False" />

</appSettings>

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

ok so i reformatted my computer, ran the MSC Tool everything is fine no corrupted .dll but i still get the kneeboard builder has stopped working. went to the event viewer and i get this.

Faulting application name: KneeboardBuilder.exe, version: 1.6.3.1, time stamp: 0x54cc165a

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d

Faulting process id: 0x1db0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d05375c4aed7e8

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Stephen\Downloads\KneeboardBuilder 1.6.3.1\KneeboardBuilder.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 058483aa-bf69-11e4-b032-f46d04e39c6c

ok so i reformatted my computer, ran the MSC Tool everything is fine no corrupted .dll but i still get the kneeboard builder has stopped working. went to the event viewer and i get this.

Faulting application name: KneeboardBuilder.exe, version: 1.6.3.1, time stamp: 0x54cc165a

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Faulting process id: 0x1db0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d05375c4aed7e8

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Stephen\Downloads\KneeboardBuilder 1.6.3.1\KneeboardBuilder.exe

Report Id: 058483aa-bf69-11e4-b032-f46d04e39c6c

I apologize for all of the issues you are having. I have some ideas I will try out that might fix it. It will be a little while though as I have some large projects I am working on for work.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT:

It looks like the splash screen is causing the problem. I will be working on a fix for it.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly

Hello,

I just installed this really cool program but can't get it to run yet I get this error when running the .exe,

object page file not found

could not find the file objects page file in the DCS World Directory at scripts\aircrafts\_common\cockpit\kneeboard\indicator\objects_page.lua

I also tried the older version and the one posted above by the OP.

any ideas? if it helps I'm using the steam version of DCS world.

Hello,

I just installed this really cool program but can't get it to run yet I get this error when running the .exe,

object page file not found

could not find the file objects page file in the DCS World Directory at scripts\aircrafts\_common\cockpit\kneeboard\indicator\objects_page.lua

I also tried the older version and the one posted above by the OP.

any ideas? if it helps I'm using the steam version of DCS world.

It looks like it isn't finding your DCS World install directory correctly. Have you checked in Options -> Preferences to see if it is pointing to your steam DCS World install directory?

It looks like it isn't finding your DCS World install directory correctly. Have you checked in Options -> Preferences to see if it is pointing to your steam DCS World install directory?

the program crashes after that error, I never even get a chance to see the main window to get to options > preferences.

thanks for the speedy reply, I also tried the dev version you posted above, and the 1.6 version running I'm running windows 7 64bit

edit: (7:20pm) got it working, not sure what I did differently, rebooted, re downloaded the newest version (I already tried this exact step) and it's working now.

edit2: well, I got the program to load. I then went through uploading the pdf, and to assign the kneeboard and it force closed. Now I can't get it working again. Definitely seems to be some kind of issue with my windows, I am using a theme which changes some of the registry keys, would that be an issue possibly? reason I say this is the windows compatibility check thing came up.

here is the event log of the error.

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 2/28/2015 7:27:54 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: cmason-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: KneeboardBuilder.exe, version: 1.6.4.0, time stamp: 0x54d910c2

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Faulting process id: 0x20f0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d053b68cb44c27

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld\kneeboard builder\New Folder (2)\KneeboardBuilder.exe

Report Id: cd135cc2-bfa9-11e4-8b67-902b3432384d

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-01T00:27:54.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>34221</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>cmason-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>KneeboardBuilder.exe</Data>

<Data>1.6.4.0</Data>

<Data>54d910c2</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.18409</Data>

<Data>5315a05a</Data>

<Data>c000041d</Data>

<Data>000000000000940d</Data>

<Data>20f0</Data>

<Data>01d053b68cb44c27</Data>

<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\DCSWorld\kneeboard builder\New Folder (2)\KneeboardBuilder.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>cd135cc2-bfa9-11e4-8b67-902b3432384d</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

thanks for your time AlaskanGrizzly

Edited by Nimitz87

Nimitz87:

Have you tried keeping Kneeboard Builder on your desktop or somewhere out of 'Program Files'? It may be having read/write issues due to insufficient permissions in 'Program Files'.

You can also trying running it as an administrator, as that should give it sufficient permissions. However, keep in mind that running as administrator will prevent the .pdf drag and drop feature from working ( a windows security feature). You will still be able to manually add .pdf files though.

Hello,

I need you help because I've downloaded KneeboardBuilder last version for my DCS v1.2.15.

I follow the all this tutorial:

But when I want click "Modify buttom" the page is blank and of course impossible to have my new kneeboard.

Please can you tell me if I meet one problem because my process is like a video but nothing and no bug message...

One idea ?

a great thanks in advance, Skull.

Hello,

I need you help because I've downloaded KneeboardBuilder last version for my DCS v1.2.15.

I follow the all this tutorial:

But when I want click "Modify buttom" the page is blank and of course impossible to have my new kneeboard.

Please can you tell me if I meet one problem because my process is like a video but nothing and no bug message...

One idea ?

a great thanks in advance, Skull.

Just to clarify, after you import a .pdf file and try to modify the imported group the images in the group are blank?

stephen2102 and Nimitz87:

I think I have pinned down what is causing the program to crash for you. It looks like the splash screen of all things is causing problems in Windows 7. I will try to put out a fix (or remove the splash screen all together) later today. Thank you for your assistance.

Version 1.6.4.1 Released

Version 1.6.4.1 is now available.

Version 1.6.4.1 Changelog

-fixed program crash caused by splash screen

REMINDER:

For optimal functionality, don't place the Kneeboard Builder folder in an elevated directory, (ie 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)') as you will need to run as an administrator to allow Kneeboard Builder to write to its own directory or the program will crash on startup. Running Kneeboard Builder as an administrator will disable the .pdf file drag and drop feature due to a security feature built into windows.