Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

PM was sent to AlaskanGrizzly re: logs.

Thanks. It looks like there is a problem in my missiondata.lua that parses the mission file. Do you know if the mission you were playing was created with a relatively older build of DCS World? Do the dynamic kneeboards work for you in a newly created mission?

Got same problem here with missiondata.lua both with new and old missions.

got this on my DCS Log

load error J:\IceMakeR\Saved Games\DCS\KNEEBOARD/001-missionbriefing-001.lua:[string "J:\IceMakeR\Saved Games\DCS\Data\KneeboardData\missiondata.lua"]:386: attempt to concatenate local 'callname' (a nil value).

Version 1.6.2.1 Released

Version 1.6.2.1 is now available.

VERSION 1.6.2.1 CHANGELOG:

-fixed dynamic kneeboards not displaying for certain missions containing JTAC or AFAC units. (JTAC created automatically in Fast Missions are still not displaying correctly)

-fixed radio frequencies not displaying correctly in dynamic kneeboards

Version 1.6.2.2 Released

Version 1.6.2.2 is now available.

VERSION 1.6.2.2 CHANGELOG:

-fixed dynamic kneeboards not displaying text after DCS World 1.2.11.3386 update

-fixed custom kneeboard color scheme not saving correct colors

-added legacy kneeboard option in preferences for users using versions of DCS World earlier than version 1.2.11.3386

IMPORTANT:

If you are using a version of DCS World earlier than version 1.2.11.3386 be sure you check the 'Use legacy kneeboard components' option in Options->Preferences.

View the troubleshooting section in the readme for further information.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly
update fixed

3) Now you can click on the 'Build Custom Kneeboard for General DCS World' to add it to the General Kneeboard and make the dynamic kneeboards visible in all aircraft. Or you can select a specific aircraft with the 'Select Aircraft' drop down box and then click on the 'Build Custom Kneeboard' button to add the dynamic kneeboards only to your selected aircraft's kneeboard.

How come when I select F-15c from the drop down and then click on the 'Build Custom Kneeboard'' button it only appears in the General DCS World Kneeboard?

Also, I am unable to change the order of the 'Default Dynamic' files as they appear in my custom kneeboard. They can be moved up or down the list but it doesn't affect their sort order in game.

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

How come when I select F-15c from the drop down and then click on the 'Build Custom Kneeboard'' button it only appears in the General DCS World Kneeboard?

Does the build button say 'Build Custom Kneeboard for F-15C' after you select F-15C and does a popup message say 'Successfully built custom kneeboard for F15C' after you click the button?

Can you view the F-15C kneeboard by clicking View->Kneeboard Folders->F-15C Kneeboard?

It might be building to the General Kneeboard if it can't find the 'Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard/F-15C' folder

Also, I am unable to change the order of the 'Default Dynamic' files as they appear in my custom kneeboard. They can be moved up or down the list but it doesn't affect their sort order in game.

That is a bug. I will work on fixing it.

Does the build button say 'Build Custom Kneeboard for F-15C' after you select F-15C and does a popup message say 'Successfully built custom kneeboard for F15C' after you click the button?

Can you view the F-15C kneeboard by clicking View->Kneeboard Folders->F-15C Kneeboard?

It might be building to the General Kneeboard if it can't find the 'Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard/F-15C' folder

That is a bug. I will work on fixing it.

I must have done something out of sequence, because now it's working OK. I now realize I must always press the button that says 'Build Custom Kneeboard' after I do any modifying to an existing custom KB...thank you AlaskanGrizzly.

Something else I'd like to ask. No one wants a kneeboard with too many pages, it takes too long to get through. Is there a way to change kneeboards in the middle of a mission? I read that you can only change KB if you are not in an active plane. What exactly does that mean?

Thanks again.

[No one wants a kneeboard with too many pages, it takes too long to get through. Is there a way to change kneeboards in the middle of a mission? I read that you can only change KB if you are not in an active plane. What exactly does that mean?

The kneeboard is updated in game only when you take control of an aircraft. If you change the kneeboard pages when you are in control of an aircraft, the kneeboard won't update in game until you reload the aircraft or switch to a different aircraft like you can do in multiplayer.

Hello,

My dynamic kneeboard only works in MP not in Single Player missions.

don't know Why, i had this error in DCS.log, i think it searches for TMP/.miz file but this file is only for MP missions.

00018.571 ERROR Lua::Config: load error J:\IceMakeR\Saved Games\DCS\KNEEBOARD/001-missionbriefing-001.lua:[string "J:\IceMakeR\Saved Games\DCS\Data\KneeboardData\missiondata.lua"]:426: attempt to concatenate local 'callname' (a nil value).

Hello,

My dynamic kneeboard only works in MP not in Single Player missions.

don't know Why, i had this error in DCS.log, i think it searches for TMP/.miz file but this file is only for MP missions.

It looks like it his having difficulty parsing the JTAC units in the mission file. The mission designer has gone through so many changes over the past several years that there is now five or six ways JTAC can be implemented in the mission. If JTAC was added to the mission using one of the older methods the dynamic kneeboards don't always parse it correctly. The CREATE FAST MISSION feature in DCS hasn't been updated to use the new method of adding JTAC to the mission file, so those missions don't always work properly either.

You can test this with your mission by removing all of the JTAC units and then add them again using the newer JTAC features in the mission designer.

If it is possible, could you upload the mission you are trying to use so I can setup the the dynamic kneeboards to better handle the older JTAC styles?

Thanks.

Version 1.6.2.3 Released

Version 1.6.2.3 is now available.

VERSION 1.6.2.3 CHANGELOG:

-fixed dynamic kneeboards not displaying in the correct order within DCS World

-fixed custom reordering of images resetting when images were removed while modifying a group

-fixed dynamic kneeboard crash when mission contains older implementation of JTAC/AFAC unit

I want to thank everyone for helping me find the bugs in my program; I really appreciate it.

Please continue the feedback/requests and bug reports.

Edited by AlaskanGrizzly
  • Like 1

Thank you very much....now I don't have those battery pictures anymore...phiuu..:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Z420 | Xeon E5-1650 @3.20GHz/3.70Ghz | 16Gb DDR3-1333 | ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! | Micron RealSSD C400 256Gb | Sound Blaster Z | TrackIR4 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog| CH Pro pedals | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I use square kneeboard (size 1200x1200) and I want to have all pictures as big they can be. I just maded groups from Mapple Flags TAC missions and I did for them white space remove with Irfanview but after that I checked that ghostscript could do that too.

Can you add posibility to crop white space out of png's which are made from pdf with ghostscript. I checked that ghostscript has that option. I'm not sure which is best for it but it could be some of these..

-dPDFFitPage

Rather than selecting a PageSize given by the PDF MediaBox, BleedBox (see -dUseBleedBox), TrimBox (see -dUseTrimBox), ArtBox (see -dUseArtBox), or CropBox (see -dUseCropBox), the PDF file will be scaled to fit the current device page size (usually the default page size). This is useful for creating fixed size images of PDF files that may have a variety of page sizes, for example thumbnail images. This option is also set by the -dFitPage option.

-dUseBleedBox

-dUseTrimBox

-dUseArtBox

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP Z420 | Xeon E5-1650 @3.20GHz/3.70Ghz | 16Gb DDR3-1333 | ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! | Micron RealSSD C400 256Gb | Sound Blaster Z | TrackIR4 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog| CH Pro pedals | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Do you think it could be possible to create a datacard with all infos from mission like loadout and airbase data, expected air defenses and so on?

That is certainly possible. It will take some time to figure out, but I will take a look.

Can you add posibility to crop white space out of png's which are made from pdf with ghostscript. I checked that ghostscript has that option. I'm not sure which is best for it but it could be some of these..

-dPDFFitPage

Rather than selecting a PageSize given by the PDF MediaBox, BleedBox (see -dUseBleedBox), TrimBox (see -dUseTrimBox), ArtBox (see -dUseArtBox), or CropBox (see -dUseCropBox), the PDF file will be scaled to fit the current device page size (usually the default page size). This is useful for creating fixed size images of PDF files that may have a variety of page sizes, for example thumbnail images. This option is also set by the -dFitPage option.

-dUseBleedBox

-dUseTrimBox

-dUseArtBox

I'll take a look at it and see if I can include that feature.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to place the manually unpacked files of the Ghostscript installer into the root of the Kneeboard Builder so we can use the KB without actually installing GS?

The GS installer (like so many) can simply be unpacked with 7-Zip so that won't be problem.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Very nice work! Very useful! Thanks for the work!

I love the dynamic pages, but seem not to work (no tasks/weather), radios and beacons works. My DCS is in french, perhaps that it is the reason, have you some tips to give me to debug it?

Two questions:

- Is it possible to have a menu for fast access? (I think no, but well.. :) )

- Is it possible to change the kneeboard dynamically during mission? (I have some ideas with LotAtc around that)

Thanks again!

Is it possible to place the manually unpacked files of the Ghostscript installer into the root of the Kneeboard Builder so we can use the KB without actually installing GS?

The GS installer (like so many) can simply be unpacked with 7-Zip so that won't be problem.

Sorry for the late reply. I will try to add that functionality when I finish some other projects I am working on.

- Is it possible to have a menu for fast access? (I think no, but well.. :) )

- Is it possible to change the kneeboard dynamically during mission? (I have some ideas with LotAtc around that)

Unfortunately no for both. The kneeboard appears to be loaded into C++ code right when you first enter the cockpit of an aircraft and cannot be modified via lua while you are playing that aircraft.

I love the dynamic pages, but seem not to work (no tasks/weather), radios and beacons works. My DCS is in french, perhaps that it is the reason, have you some tips to give me to debug it?

Is the data not populating the mission kneeboards (tasks / weather) or are they appearing as a black battery image?

You can also look in Saved Games/DCS/Logs/DCS.log after you mission and see if there are any errors being thrown from the dynamic kneeboards.

I try to launch this app but nothing happens. I have the latest version.

Two things to try:

1) Don't run as an administrator

2) It might be hanging when trying to auto update. To disable auto update try opening the 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config' file with a text or xml editor and add these lines inside the configuration section right above the startup section:

<appSettings>

<add key="AllowUpdate" value="False" />

</appSettings>