Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Yes, but, were you able to save the shortcuts?

Good question! I just had a quick check and indeed the shortcuts were removed! I assumed it was because I was messing around with the kneeboard and did something I shouldn't have.

So there is no way of saving the shortcuts?

So there is no way of saving the shortcuts?

Unfortunately, no :(

Currently the Kneeboard show its contents using the following order:

- Generated Map of the flight area.

- Aircraft's Kneeboard (only on some aircrafts, like the MiG-21, Viggen, C-101, etc)

- Content of Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard/<aircraft>/

- Terrain's Kneeboard (if any, currently only Caucasus and Nevada have content)

- Mission's Kneeboard (on /KNEEBOARD/IMAGES/ within the .miz file)

My wish, would be that DCS autogenerate shortcuts to each of these Sections ... and also ideally to have the Mission's kneeboard closer to the top of this list, for example:

- Generated Map of the flight area.

- Mission's Kneeboard (on /KNEEBOARD/IMAGES/ within the .miz file)

- Aircraft's Kneeboard (only on some aircrafts, like the MiG-21, Viggen, C-101, etc)

- Content of Saved Games/DCS/Kneeboard/<aircraft>/

- Terrain's Kneeboard (if any, currently only Caucasus and Nevada have content)

The Kneeboard is so important when one is learning an aircraft, that I wonder why ED has not updated it a bit .. well, one can only hope :smilewink:

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

For the F16 guys, if you find that your DED doesn't work properly and it's blank on the main page you should do a REPAIR or INTEGRITY check with STEAM and do not use the Kneeboard Builder to create a kneeboard. This solved the problem for me.

For the F16 guys, if you find that your DED doesn't work properly and it's blank on the main page you should do a REPAIR or INTEGRITY check with STEAM and do not use the Kneeboard Builder to create a kneeboard. This solved the problem for me.

I wonder what relationship there may be between the DED and the Kneeboard? ... for me, it works fine:

QQBgIYv.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Got a bit of a problem. I noticed that since using Kneeboard builder my F16 module will only accept and display PNG files in it's kneeboard folder if they are named the same as what the GROUP is called.

I noticed that for any other module I can just throw a bunch of png files in their kneeboard folder and they get displayed no matter what they are called because I didn't use Kneeboard builder for those modules.

How do I change the settings for my F16 module kneeboard to get it to accept and display png files that aren't name the same as the folder? Its as if there is a setting that says "only display png files named 01 F16 001.png , 01 / 01 F16 002.png / 01 F16 003.png etc etc

Looked everywhere to change this but no luck. ANy ideas?

"All credits to AlaskanGrizzly for this.

This seems a great program to create custom kneeboards and after seeing dburne's entry about working with it in VR, i thought of having a go.

However, nothing in the world i do makes this thing work.

I'm stuck at creating a profile and i have no clue how to make one (the manual is a bit old because some things seem to have been changed in the software but the didn't make it to the manual yet. One of these things is creating a profile.

I managed to set some options (LOL), import a PDF (A-10C manual), created a Custom Kneeboard, select the A-10C aircraft, added a group, moved that over to the Custom Kneeboard and then build a custom Kneeboard for the A-10C. All without a single error, i can see quite some .jpg files in the A-10C which are created out of the A-10C manual pdf but...

... i'm not able to create any profile. If i go there i don't have the same options as in the manual, i have Kneeboard Profiles instead of Kneeboard Settings (what's in a name?) but once in that menu, i can't do anything. I don't have the option the even create a profile, all i have is Modify (greyed out because i obviously don't have one created) and Restore Defaults so i need a bit of guidance because i don't have a single clue on what i'm missing except the fact that i can't follow the manual because i don't see/have what i supposed to see/have."

Exactly the same steps and exactly the same problem here! Where is the settings page? MIA on my install.

Edited by sgilewicz

Radial Madness

• 2 weeks later...
So apparently what I was doing that was confusing me, was after making changes the program needs to be restarted.

Hi Don B. Look forward to trying this out myself. Based on above quote, what program needs a restart, DCS or kneeboard builder. Thanks for the clarification.

Best,

David

Intel® Core i9-9900X CPU @ 3.50GHz OC 4.5GHz,G.SkillDDR4-3200,X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming-CF,Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512GB,Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB,WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0,WDC WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0,NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti(Watercooled AORUS 11GB),H100i Cooler.

NVIDIA Driver:430.64

OS:Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit (Build 17763)

Periphials: TM Warthog A10 HOTAS/Throttle,CH Rudder Pedals.

VR:Pimax 5K+,PiTools V1.0.1.129,HMD Firmware V2.1.255.212,

SteamVR V1.1.18

Got a bit of a problem. I noticed that since using Kneeboard builder my F16 module will only accept and display PNG files in it's kneeboard folder if they are named the same as what the GROUP is called.

I noticed that for any other module I can just throw a bunch of png files in their kneeboard folder and they get displayed no matter what they are called because I didn't use Kneeboard builder for those modules.

How do I change the settings for my F16 module kneeboard to get it to accept and display png files that aren't name the same as the folder? Its as if there is a setting that says "only display png files named 01 F16 001.png , 01 / 01 F16 002.png / 01 F16 003.png etc etc

Looked everywhere to change this but no luck. ANy ideas?

me too, i found that this it happens when dynamic is activated but i uninstall KB because i found more bugs whit last DCS versions

in Spitfire - the PIT is disappeared

in general sometimes it take a lot of time to open MP mission

I'm sad for this because it was a great utility, now i'm using an easy MOD but is blocked from cheat check

Good morning,

i am trying to understand how to use this program to create custom profiles and to modify the kneeboard position on screen.

I read the manual, but in the program i have not the options reported in the manual.

In order to create a new profile the manual tells to go options --> kneeboard settings while i have only options ---> kneeboard profiles.

There i have restore default and modify which is darked and i cannot press it.

But there is nothing like + button as reported in the manual.

Also in order to move the kneeboard position i need a profile, but if icannot create or modify profiles i am stuck.

Can someone help me please?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest Pro  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, F-16EX Grip, Orion 2 Base, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

"All credits to AlaskanGrizzly for this.

This seems a great program to create custom kneeboards and after seeing dburne's entry about working with it in VR, i thought of having a go.

However, nothing in the world i do makes this thing work.

I'm stuck at creating a profile and i have no clue how to make one (the manual is a bit old because some things seem to have been changed in the software but the didn't make it to the manual yet. One of these things is creating a profile.

I managed to set some options (LOL), import a PDF (A-10C manual), created a Custom Kneeboard, select the A-10C aircraft, added a group, moved that over to the Custom Kneeboard and then build a custom Kneeboard for the A-10C. All without a single error, i can see quite some .jpg files in the A-10C which are created out of the A-10C manual pdf but...

... i'm not able to create any profile. If i go there i don't have the same options as in the manual, i have Kneeboard Profiles instead of Kneeboard Settings (what's in a name?) but once in that menu, i can't do anything. I don't have the option the even create a profile, all i have is Modify (greyed out because i obviously don't have one created) and Restore Defaults so i need a bit of guidance because i don't have a single clue on what i'm missing except the fact that i can't follow the manual because i don't see/have what i supposed to see/have."

Exactly the same steps and exactly the same problem here! Where is the settings page? MIA on my install.

I have this exact issue.......no one answers to me and to sgilewicz?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest Pro  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, F-16EX Grip, Orion 2 Base, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

I have this exact issue.......no one answers to me and to sgilewicz?

Hello,

What aircraft are you trying to change the kneeboard position? .. This is an old utility and it doesnt work with the newer aircrafts, for example it doesnt work with the Viper. The newest aircraft I've been able to use it with, is the Hornet .. like this:

cQaUiMW.jpg

Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

Hello,

What aircraft are you trying to change the kneeboard position? .. This is an old utility and it doesnt work with the newer aircrafts, for example it doesnt work with the Viper. The newest aircraft I've been able to use it with, is the Hornet .. like this:

cQaUiMW.jpg

The hornet.

The problem is not that I cannot move the kneeboard.

Is that I cannot create a profile

Look here

5114eba1b0d4236ab65f91ca7df19331.png

Hi

How can I remove the default images that comes with the c101CC kneeboard? I don't find any clue about it

And I can`t change to landscape the orientation of my kneeboard… I am following some advices I found here but the profile does not work … why why why…:mad::mad:

Anyone ?

Regards

Manilva

The hornet.

The problem is not that I cannot move the kneeboard.

Is that I cannot create a profile

Look here ...

I have the same problem with the GUI but I am flying the A-10C so age isn't the issue here.

OK, the Utility stores the profiles at this location: C:\Program Files\Kneeboard Builder\Config\ .. it seems that your windows user doesnt have write access to that folder.

Try to enable the "Run this program as Admin" on the Kneeboard Builder's Property sheet of its launch icon.

An alternative, would be to install the Utility outside of C:\Program Files\

Hi

How can I remove the default images that comes with the c101CC kneeboard? I don't find any clue about it

Hello,

They are on this path: \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\C-101\Cockpit\C-101CC\KNEEBOARD\pages ... you can just delete (or save somewhere else) the .PNG files that are on that folder .. that will remove them from the Kneeboard displayed by DCS.

The only problem is that any DCS Update or Repair, will put them back and you will have to repeat this delete operation.

And I can`t change to landscape the orientation of my kneeboard…

I've never tried to do that .. I will do a test and get back to you.

I am following some advices I found here but the profile does not work …

Can you provide a link, to take a look at that advice?

Best regards,

Eduardo

OK, the Utility stores the profiles at this location: C:\Program Files\Kneeboard Builder\Config\ .. it seems that your windows user doesnt have write access to that folder.

Try to enable the "Run this program as Admin" on the Kneeboard Builder's Property sheet of its launch icon.

An alternative, would be to install the Utility outside of C:\Program Files\

I have Kneeboard Builder installed on a different drive than my Windows drive and I enable the shortcut to execute with Administrative rights but I still see a grayed out Modify.

Radial Madness

I have Kneeboard Builder installed on a different drive than my Windows drive and I enable the shortcut to execute with Administrative rights but I still see a grayed out Modify.

Oh .. sorry, then I'm out of ideas .. on my case I have the same setup and the Modify works for me:

aXH2b8o.jpg

:(

Oh .. sorry, then I'm out of ideas .. on my case I have the same setup and the Modify works for me:

aXH2b8o.jpg

:(

I solved it.

Simply I unzipped the downladed file in a new directory and now it doesn’t ask for administrative privileges.

Also the modify is not grayed out anymore.

Probably the problem lied is some old config file, so a freshed install solved the problem.

Probably the problem lied is some old config file, so a freshed install solved the problem.

Glad you found the cause :thumbup:

Anyone knows how to remove all of the default KB pages (autogenerated flightplan map plus the default aerodrome/visual approach charts)?

Tried messing with the lua files in the kneeboard/indicator folder but im not into lua at all, was just shooting blind with no success.

I got custom KB of everything i need (approach charts, checklists etc.) and the default stuff is just littering my KB. Annoying to browse through these additional 20+ default pages i got zero use for.

Cheers

edit: a modified indicator lua also does not pass IC as i just saw O.o

Edited by Kailux

Gone for good.

Anyone knows how to remove all of the default KB pages (autogenerated flightplan map plus the default aerodrome/visual approach charts)?

Tried messing with the lua files in the kneeboard/indicator folder but im not into lua at all, was just shooting blind with no success.

I got custom KB of everything i need (approach charts, checklists etc.) and the default stuff is just littering my KB. Annoying to browse through these additional 20+ default pages i got zero use for.

Cheers

edit: a modified indicator lua also does not pass IC as i just saw O.o

The best I've ever been able to achieve is by deleting the following (I use a batch file, as the files are replaced every time DCS is updated):

del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\Kneeboard\*.*" /Q
del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Nevada\Kneeboard\*.*" /Q
del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Normandy\Kneeboard\*.*" /Q
del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\KNEEBOARD\device\init.lua" 

Always backup before making changes.

I am unfortunately always left with at least one blank page.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
You can do it manually with this mod.

Kneeboard settings is not available as a selection on my version, which is the new version.. perhaps i need to go to pre-beta because "kneeboard settings" must have gotten missed in the beta, because there is no way to adjust. i will get the stable version and see what i got and thanks all who helped with this thread