Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.6.0.0 Released

Version 1.6.0.0 is now available.

VERSION 1.6.0.0 CHANGELOG:

-added option to turn off auto updates

-added dynamic kneeboard system

I am quite excited about this update. I have spent the last several weeks developing a dynamic kneeboard system that can load external data into a kneeboard at DCS runtime when the mission first loads. This means that it is possible for a 3rd party program (like a mission planner) to export data that could then be loaded into a kneeboard when DCS loads a mission.

So far I have developed two dynamic kneeboard pages that you can add to any kneeboard that will dynamically load mission data from the current mission at runtime:

1) Dynamic Mission Briefing:

-creates a kneeboard page that contains the current mission weather, description and tasks based on the player's coalition.

-converts the weather measurements to metric or US based on the player’s aircraft

2) Dynamic Mission Radios:

-creates a kneeboard page that displays all pertinent radio frequencies for the current mission based on the player's coalition and aircraft.

-displays all JTAC, Tanker, AWACS and FARP and other flights radio information

-displays all preset frequencies for planes with preset radios

These kneeboard pages can be found under the 'General DCS World Kneeboard' and you can add them to any kneeboard just like any other group.

CURRENT LIMITATIONS:

-right now full functionality is only available for single player missions where the player’s aircraft skill is listed as ‘Player’ in the mission. I have not yet figured out how to get the selected ‘Client’ aircraft from DCS at runtime.

-there is no scroll bar available in the kneeboards, so missions with long novels for descriptions or tasks will not have enough room to display correctly. (sorry Belsimtek)

Take a look and let me know what you think.

blueMissionBriefing.thumb.png.9eb8484167060a01180b2bd12e121646.png

blueMissionRadios.thumb.png.c794ec5ca38838b4cbd460c5b08580e3.png

redMissionBriefing.thumb.png.29a2a8889b546dd7acd1db5ed66d1a25.png

redMissionRadios.thumb.png.ee09681c6c7e5ed31effb515eca00ec6.png

• Like 2

You are doing some really fine work here. :thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Nice job AlaskanGrizzly your work is most impressive +1

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Do you put the two Lua files in the Kneeboard folder of your choice?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Great job, Grizzly.

For what it's worth, PeterP tried for a while to get dynamic briefings to work in multiplayer/client missions and had no success. He mentioned it was something to do with how the datafiles were loaded differently between single player and multiplayer missions. In the meantime, consider yourself in good company re: being stumped.

Great job, Grizzly.

For what it's worth, PeterP tried for a while to get dynamic briefings to work in multiplayer/client missions and had no success. He mentioned it was something to do with how the datafiles were loaded differently between single player and multiplayer missions. In the meantime, consider yourself in good company re: being stumped.

I figured it out :thumbup:

It took a little bit of virtual duct tape, but not much.

Version 1.6.1.0 Released

Version 1.6.1.0 is now available.

VERSION 1.6.1.0 CHANGELOG:

-dynamic kneeboard now has full functionality in Multiplayer

-split mission briefing dynamic kneeboard into two pages to allow for longer situation and task briefings

-split mission radios dynamic kneeboard into two pages to allow for more other flight frequencies

-fixed issue of FARP frequencies not appearing in mission radios dynamic kneeboard

-added navigation beacons dynamic kneeboard (three pages)

-other minor bug fixes

AlaskanGrizzly

I assume that you have to put the mission and radio freq LUA files in the appropriate kneeboard, but I cannot seem to do that. Please advise. Also, what is the little miz button for? to load the correct mission for the LUA files?

Thanks

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

AlaskanGrizzly

I assume that you have to put the mission and radio freq LUA files in the appropriate kneeboard, but I cannot seem to do that. Please advise.

Sorry for not having put together the manual yet.

The dynamic kneeboard group is located in the 'General DCS World Kneeboard' available groups.

1) Go to the 'Create Custom Kneeboard' tab and select 'General DCS World Kneeboard' in the 'Select Aircraft' drop down box.

2) In the 'Available Groups' section you should see the 'Default Dynamic' group. Click on the 'Default Dynamic' group and click on the right arrow to move it to the 'Groups Selected for Custom Kneeboard' section.

3) Now you can click on the 'Build Custom Kneeboard for General DCS World' to add it to the General Kneeboard and make the dynamic kneeboards visible in all aircraft. Or you can select a specific aircraft with the 'Select Aircraft' drop down box and then click on the 'Build Custom Kneeboard' button to add the dynamic kneeboards only to your selected aircraft's kneeboard.

There is nothing more you need to do to use the dynamic kneeboards. You don't need Kneeboard Builder open for them to work and you don't need to make any changes to your kneeboard before each mission. Anytime you fly a mission in DCS World the kneeboard should automatically collect all of the necessary data from the mission file.

Also, what is the little miz button for? to load the correct mission for the LUA files?

Thanks

The .miz button allows you to build the selected kneeboard groups directly into a mission. Kneeboards built directly into the mission will automatically display in your Kneeboard everytime you fly that mission, irrespective of what is already in you custom kneeboard. This is especially useful for mission designers to include kneeboard pages necessary for their mission so that they are automatically visible in the kneeboard anytime someone flies that mission.

I hope all of that made sense. One of these days I hope to find the time to get some legitimate tutorials made.

Version 1.6.2.0 Released

Version 1.6.2.0 is now available.

VERSION 1.6.2.0 CHANGELOG:

-fixed program crash when saving modified group

-fixed bug where MiG-21 groups could not be modified or deleted

-added ability to modify the color of kneeboard moving map waypoint lines in kneeboard color scheme

-reorganized the 'View' menu

-updated Readme.txt

Hi AlaskanGrizzly

I know you have put an enormous amount of time and effort into creating and updating this software. It's no small feat. So thanks for all you do.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the software to work.

I do have Win7 64 ; After Unzipping to a location of my choice I sent the Kneeboard.exe shortcut to my desktop for easy access (the orig .exe file doesn't work either .. so it's not the shortcut).

The first time I tried to open it, it did an Update so now I have the most recent version 1.6.2.0.

I have read the ReadMe file and tried to Delete the 2 files you indicated. However, I only had the "KneeboardBuilder.exe.config" but I did NOT see the "settings.xml" file mentioned.

After multiple attempts and a reboot, I downloaded the new updated version/zip file and tried that.

BTW- I notice there is no Installation required other than to Unzip the file to a folder .. in my case I unzipped it to my E Drive folder called "Kneeboard Builder" and sent that .exe shortcut to my desktop.

Also, I already have NetFramework 4.5 with a ton of related Windows Updates and I did download an install GhostScript as instructed.

So I believe I have followed ALL of the Instructions to a "T" but I cannot figure out why this isn't working.

FYI- what Does happen when I double click on the KneeboardBuilder.exe is an error stating "Kneeboard Builder has Stopped Working ... Windows can check online .. bla bla bla ... OR Close the Program"

Got any ideas ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

SnowTiger,

Right after you try running Kneeboard Builder, could you save your Windows Even Logs and PM them to me?

(Start> right click "my computer"> manage> Event Viewer> Windows Logs>Right click on Application> save all events as> save the logs as Event Files)

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

AlaskanGrizzly,

I have tried to use the dynamic kneeboard both in single player and multiplayer, and in both instances I cannot get the dynamic pages to display.

For the General DCS kneeboard I set the following:

kneeboardbuilder-general_zps4427d5fe.jpg

There are no dynamic pages after the included graphics in the top 3 checklists; the kneeboard goes directly from the SAM list to the route chart. However, there are a series of blank pages right after the route charts (basically the graphic showing how to load the battery that indicates no page). Same issue happened to another guy I fly with.

Everything else works perfectly. If I'm not doing anything wrong, then I hope this bug report helps.

AlaskanGrizzly

Same here. When I play again, I will try to send a log to you.

Home Fries

No PM received.

Sobe