Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Kneeboard 1.6.7.2 won't start, freezes then closes.

win7/64

Edit: Relocating/resizing the kneeboard.

I added the following line manually to get it to work;

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS WorldOpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit/ViewportHandling.lua

line 29

dedicated_viewport = {0,300,800,750}

Edited by fitness88

All I'm trying to do with this app is get a dynamic map on my 2nd monitor. I looked at all of the tutorials provided, searched YouTube and read thru the 1st 30 pages of this thread. I'm missing the instructions somewhere along the line, where do I find those instructions. Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

All I'm trying to do with this app is get a dynamic map on my 2nd monitor. I looked at all of the tutorials provided, searched YouTube and read thru the 1st 30 pages of this thread. I'm missing the instructions somewhere along the line, where do I find those instructions. Thanks

The program does have its own tutorial. Check out the web page.

Yes, I believe I stated that I looked at all the available tutorials, perhaps I overlooked it? I do recall some were not yet done,,, I will look again

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

So I see the tutorials within the program simply take me to the same tutorials on the website. I watched them all, the 1st overview tutorial shows the map and how to adjust it 42 seconds into it, but it does not show how it was accessed? I just want to get a map for my Huey on my 2nd monitor, yes, I'm likely overlooking the obvious, or maybe not? Either way, I cant figure out how to setup just the map. Further Google search was not helpful today. Thanks for any help.

I'm probably getting stuck on step 2:

2) In the 'Import PDF" tab drag and drop any .pdf file(s), select an aircraft and type in a group name, ie "F86 Manual", for each file.

Where am I supposed to navigate to, to get the files I need for a dynamic map for the keyboard of a Huey?

Edited by Fakum

If I understand you correctly, you want to move the dynamic map to your second monitor. The kneeboard is where you will see your dynamic map and you can move it to your second monitor by my instructions above:

Relocating/resizing the kneeboard.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS WorldOpenBeta\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit/ViewportHandling.lua

line 29

This moved it to my second monitor bottom left corner.

So I see the tutorials within the program simply take me to the same tutorials on the website. I watched them all, the 1st overview tutorial shows the map and how to adjust it 42 seconds into it, but it does not show how it was accessed? I just want to get a map for my Huey on my 2nd monitor, yes, I'm likely overlooking the obvious, or maybe not? Either way, I cant figure out how to setup just the map. Further Google search was not helpful today. Thanks for any help.

I'm probably getting stuck on step 2:

2) In the 'Import PDF" tab drag and drop any .pdf file(s), select an aircraft and type in a group name, ie "F86 Manual", for each file.

Where am I supposed to navigate to, to get the files I need for a dynamic map for the keyboard of a Huey?

Hi Fakum,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been putting in a very long work week.

Use 'Options -> Kneeboard Settings' to reposition and resize the kneeboard. It will prompt you to create a kneeboard profile and once you save that profile you can select it using the taskbar icon from the taskbar.

Since this uses the kneeboard built into DCS you can only move the kneeboard within the DCS window and you won't be able to 'export' the kneeboard by itself to a second monitor. For example if you have two screens and have DCS only displaying on one screen you will only be able to move the kneeboard withing the confines of that one screen. If you have DCS displaying over both screens then you should be able to move them within the confines of both screens.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the reply, I have DCS across both monitors as I use Helios. Long story short, I have a Helios profile that works fine for the Huey in 1.2, but it wont export the map in versions 1.5 & 2.0 (another subject for a different thread). So now I have this area on the Helios profile that is blank and I want to install the map there.

With that being said, do I need to import any files to accomplish this? I will look into what you stated above, but I am pretty sure I tried something to that effect and got a blank page,,, I will report back, thanks

If I understand you correctly, you want to move the dynamic map to your second monitor. The kneeboard is where you will see your dynamic map and you can move it to your second monitor by my instructions above:

Relocating/resizing the kneeboard.

line 29

This moved it to my second monitor bottom left corner.

I will look into this as well,,, thanks

I will look into this as well,,, thanks

What AlaskanGrizzly said is how it works...I have 1680x1050 so for 3 monitors=5040x1050, only now can I have the Kneeboard on anyone of the monitors I chose [enable 3 monitors in DCS options]. With only 1680x1050, you have only 1 monitor to chose.

Ok, here is the 1st hurdle, per instructions:

"Use 'Options -> Kneeboard Settings' to reposition and resize the kneeboard. It will prompt you to create a kneeboard profile and once you save that profile you can select it using the taskbar icon from the taskbar. "

When I click on "Options" I see 2 selections, "Kneeboard settings" & "Preferences":

"Kneeboard settings" is greyed out and not clickable, "Preferences" however is useable? This might be due to my initial question???? which was do I need to import and load any files and if so, from where? I don't know?

Ok, here is the 1st hurdle, per instructions:

"Use 'Options -> Kneeboard Settings' to reposition and resize the kneeboard. It will prompt you to create a kneeboard profile and once you save that profile you can select it using the taskbar icon from the taskbar. "

When I click on "Options" I see 2 selections, "Kneeboard settings" & "Preferences":

"Kneeboard settings" is greyed out and not clickable, "Preferences" however is useable? This might be due to my initial question???? which was do I need to import and load any files and if so, from where? I don't know?

I take it when you are downloading the KneeboardBuilder.zip and extracting the files to a folder, you are choosing a folder on the desktop or some other non-system protected location un-like the programs folder?

When you run KneeboardBuilder.exe you should see both "Kneeboard settings" & "Preferences". The fact that Kneeboard settings is greyed out...I leave it to AlaskanGrizzly to respond.

Edited by fitness88

ehhh,, I'm guessing it may because I have not added any files yet, we shall see?

ehhh,, I'm guessing it may because I have not added any files yet, we shall see?

It is greyed out because it cannot find or is not allowed access to one or both of the following files:

"...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua" or "...\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua"

Generally that will happen if you have not selected the correct version of DCS World you have installed (Standard, OpenAlpha, or OpenBeta) in the 'Options -> Preferences' window. Make sure you have the correct DCS World installation directory set and the correct Saved Games folder selected.

Thanks for the vid

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

It is greyed out because it cannot find or is not allowed access to one or both of the following files:

"...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua" or "...\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\ViewportHandling.lua"

Generally that will happen if you have not selected the correct version of DCS World you have installed (Standard, OpenAlpha, or OpenBeta) in the 'Options -> Preferences' window. Make sure you have the correct DCS World installation directory set and the correct Saved Games folder selected.

I did set the paths up for DCS Open Beta, but I will recheck when I get home tonight and report back,, thanks

Ok, path looks good to me?

Has anyone figured out how to keep the kneeboard page shortcuts from one flight to the next. Although the shortcuts work great unfortunately they are not remembered from one flight to the next.

Even though it's very easy and quick to set up you shortcuts each session, it would be nice not to have to.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to delete a shortcut in flight.

Thank you.

Since I never got a response to my issue, I have not been able to proceed any further, so I cant be of any assistance,,, sorry.

Since I never got a response to my issue, I have not been able to proceed any further, so I cant be of any assistance,,, sorry.

Sorry. I have been busy with work and haven't been able to look into it further. Have you tried running it as an administrator and do you have any drive encryption like bitlocker? I am not sure why Kneeboard Builder is unable to locate the two required files on your system.

Yes, it is a feature available in the settings. Just go to options/kneeboard settings, and there is A GUI that allows you to reposition and resize it. Just save the changes and it works very well.

Hi again, I tried and it worked flawlessly for a new kneeboard. I would like to move the default kneeboard, is that possible in some way?

Thanks again.

Hi again, I tried and it worked flawlessly for a new kneeboard. I would like to move the default kneeboard, is that possible in some way?

Thanks again.

Your kneeboard of choice should be in C:\Users\user name\Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard

I delete the kneeboard in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\Kneeboard so that it doesn't get loaded.