Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

edit - "small" request

starting from this thread

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54702

I wonder if it is possible to create dynamic pages in kneeboard that could have history of "Chat" and "Server Messages" in them. In multiplayer many times we miss chat messages because they are cluttered with base server messages like "x has been destroyed by y with z" or "x jumped into this plane slot or spectators" etc, also there are the server messages that distribute info about the mission (like in Blue Flag Campaign) and they could stay a bit longer in a kneeboard page.

I looked into that a while ago, but it seems like the message creation may be hardcoded into DCS World. I could not find where that is handled with lua and I could not find a way to export them either.

I looked into that a while ago, but it seems like the message creation may be hardcoded into DCS World. I could not find where that is handled with lua and I could not find a way to export them either.

Thanks for reply. Then we can put it aside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Each time I get problems with it I re install it by extracting the files back again from last archive in a different folder.

Thanks, but got it working by simply instaling the new version of KBB and reinstalling my custom pages since they were still in cache of the app.

Looks like DCS updates hate stuff like that (one of the last 2 updates also broke my NVGs for Su-25).

I like to also keep the original/default kb pages because, while they DO clutter a lot, they DO contain some useful stuff, especially for the '21; so I don't choose the options to clear kb of all pages. :beer:

Is there a way to position the kneeboard on the A-10, or other aircraft where the knee of the pilot would actually be. I love this app, but I find that floating windows takes away from the realism.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

I am currently working on trying to add that feature as well. Thanks for the support.

i seem to have isolated a module launching issue with 1.6.6.2 but only when the dynamic kneeboard has been created.

When Kneedboard builder creates the Kneeboard data folder in the Saved gamed Data directory, I am no longer able to launch into a module.

In single player, it will load the ground objects, and then hang on "Please wait" with the loading bar at about 33%

In MP - I will hit fly and the game will just hang.

If i delete the kneeboard data folder and do not re-build the dynamic kneeboard feature, the launch issue is resolved.

building individual or default boards do not affect the launching - only the dynamic one.

No other mods are installed

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

i seem to have isolated a module launching issue with 1.6.6.2 but only when the dynamic kneeboard has been created.

When Kneedboard builder creates the Kneeboard data folder in the Saved gamed Data directory, I am no longer able to launch into a module.

In single player, it will load the ground objects, and then hang on "Please wait" with the loading bar at about 33%

In MP - I will hit fly and the game will just hang.

If i delete the kneeboard data folder and do not re-build the dynamic kneeboard feature, the launch issue is resolved.

building individual or default boards do not affect the launching - only the dynamic one.

No other mods are installed

Can you upload your DCS.log found in 'Saved Games\DCS\Logs' after DCS hangs while loading?

will do - i'll re-build the dynamic board tomorrow and upload it here.

Cheers,

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Excellent work with this app, but I do have two comments:

1. why not make it for html files instead of pdf? DCS exports inputlayoutstxt in html afterall... Logic dictates that keyboard/controller layout would be the most common thing people would want to save into their kneeboard.

It would also make the kneeboard files easier to make because:

a) it would take one step out of the equation (being forced to use the cumbersome pdf converters)

b) it would cut down on the number of files we have - reduce clutter on drive

c) editing an html file is easier and cleaner than editing a pdf file in order to delete what we don't need/want

d) pdf is more used for files that won't be edited (manuals, books, etc.), unlike html

and

2. for some reason the text from the inputlayoutstxt comes looking very small and readable only with difficulty in the game. Don't know if that's the problem with the pdf convertion (just one more reason to get rid of that step) or with the builder itself. I honestly, with no exaggerating, have to almost press my nose to my screen and then decypher what is written there (not just due to small font size, but font quality itself seems to degrade significantly in the process), which takes my attention away from flying for way too long and, considering I need a specific info/layout at a critical moments, it presents a danger to flying/mission. Font size larger than 18 seems to work better, 24 is pretty good both in terms of visibility and readability, but sadly not so much info can be put on one page

I like this app, but these are two aspects that I think could be better and since you asked for suggestions in your first post... :beer:

Edited by tovivan

The app started as a way to convert pdf files in a format readable by the ingame kneeboard... which is PNJ I think.

The rest came after this. For example the dynamic pages are not pdf at all... I think in the end nothing is PDF but pictures and some lua/html.

As for controls... nothing can replace a picture of the HOTAS with the controls. The keyboard if I don't recall I ask on TS :D

GIEyonQ.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The app started as a way to convert pdf files in a format readable by the ingame kneeboard... which is PNJ I think.

pnG. ;-)

Why PDF in the first place? Why pdf of all the possible formats out there? It's a useless format for such use. Nobody uses it except for manuals and books and editing it is a witch. While on the other hand the GAME ITSELF produces the input text file in HTML... Is there anything more natural than using that exact html file to produce a kneeboard page, especially for planes with a huge amount of keyboard commands, like the A10C, Ka50 or Mi8? That pretty picture of a joystick (or keyboard) would be pretty darned useless or actually impossible to make with that amount of required commands.

pdf is sadly an additional unnecessary step, a step that hampers getting the quality from the procedure that could be gotten other ways.

Also, don't know whether it's pdf's fault or the builder's, but like I said, when using the html input text file the font is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small to read even with 24" screen and the quality of the font is very bad (lines of the letters and numbers seem... "degraded").

As for controls... nothing can replace a picture of the HOTAS with the controls. The keyboard if I don't recall I ask on TS :D

That's nice, but doesn't really help me. Neither the picture, idea or asking TS (it's not 100% someone would know the command + not 100% one is always on TS or even online). I was also hoping the answer I would get would be from the modmaker himself :beer:

Edited by tovivan

2. for some reason the text from the inputlayoutstxt comes looking very small and readable only with difficulty in the game. Don't know if that's the problem with the pdf convertion (just one more reason to get rid of that step) or with the builder itself. I honestly, with no exaggerating, have to almost press my nose to my screen and then decypher what is written there (not just due to small font size, but font quality itself seems to degrade significantly in the process), which takes my attention away from flying for way too long and, considering I need a specific info/layout at a critical moments, it presents a danger to flying/mission. Font size larger than 18 seems to work better, 24 is pretty good both in terms of visibility and readability, but sadly not so much info can be put on one page

In the kneeboard preferences page you can change the DPI for the converted images. Raise the number to increase the resolution at the cost of increased file size.

1. why not make it for html files instead of pdf? DCS exports inputlayoutstxt in html afterall... Logic dictates that keyboard/controller layout would be the most common thing people would want to save into their kneeboard.

Currently a work in progress possibly for the next update.

pnG. ;-)

Why PDF in the first place? Why pdf of all the possible formats out there? It's a useless format for such use. Nobody uses it except for manuals and books and editing it is a witch....

Yes... png, typo :)

But PDF is just an input format. Not the output format of this app. Thus I don't see the point of your complain.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

format of this app. Thus I don't see the point of your complain.

Okay, to explain again, it forces an additional step into the process of making a kneeboard page and one that is dicey in execution and end quality. From my experience pdf conversion degrades the quality of the document compared to the original. And not just that, it's a security issue.

For example:

in DCS I click the button to produce an html input text file of my keyboard settings. I hope you'll agree that with the keyboard it would be impossible to produce a pictorial representation of the kind you use for your joystick, yes? Anyway, the game puts the files in the Saved Games folder, in html format. To be able to use that file I need to then specially download an app that will let me convert that html file into pdf - so I have to go online and look for free apps (together with possible adware or spyware dangers of free app traps). Mostly accessible are apps that tap into existing programs (html maker, firefox, iexplorer), put pdf production as a "print" option and thus gain unrestricted and unmonitored access to the internet and their "homebase" - who knows what they send. Then I have to convert that file into pdf, with all the restrictions that forces on that text file (maybe smaller font, worse quality, etc.). Only then can I use the KBB.

Example of non-pdf use:

in DCS I click the button to produce an html input text file of my keyboard settings. The game puts them in the Saved Games folder, in html format. Then I use the KBB.

The much shorter and painless process is, I hope, plainly obvious. :beer:

In the kneeboard preferences page you can change the DPI for the converted images. Raise the number to increase the resolution at the cost of increased file size.

I did, from 150 to 300, and it was even worse. File size difference is minimal, its still under 1mb. That version was completely unreadable in kneeboard, no matter how much I pressed my nose to the screen. I deleted it and went back to 150 and this time I was able to read it by pressing my face about 15cm from the screen. Attaching a kneeboard page I use as an example.

This is how it comes out when directly converting the html input file into pdf and then using kbb.

I tried making font size of the html file bigger, but that completely messed up the formatting.

From what I can figure out the main problem is the high resolution of the end-file, 1240x1754. Can that be changed into smaller resolution or is it a limitation of DCS? Smaller resolution - bigger font/pics. It namely crams a lot of information into a high-resolution file that is then compressed into a small window in the game. Thus the biggest issue with readability of html input pages.

Currently a work in progress possibly for the next update.

Excellent news, thank you! :thumbup: :beer:

002-key-001.thumb.png.608399ff203336a1b931a018524c3bbe.png

I see now and I agree converting that file in pdf by the user (this was slipping my thought because I considered out of KBB "jurisdiction") is an extra step that is inconvenient. Is great that AlaskanGrizzly will try to integrate direct html reading by KBB.

But we must agree that the main thing that the KBB proposed in the first versions was to import already existing pdf files and chop them in PNGs ready to be read by the in game Kneeboard. In this way there was no extra work or dangers for the users.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

this mod does not working with UltaraMFCD, kneeboard appears olways on right MFCD and not on main screen((

it will be great to have monitor select option in kneeboard settings, it will be great multi-monitor solution

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

VID: MSI Nvidia RTX4070 12GB \ MON: Samsung ue49ks8000 49'', Lilliput 8'' x2

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

Hello,

In "Create Custom Kneeboard" tab, I select a desired group, but .miz button don't work to me. It seems that it is not enabled.

Dell U2715H 27" IPS 2560x1440 / 60 Hz; Ryzen 7 7700x; 32gb DDR5 6400; B650M Aorus Pro; Water Cooler Arctic liquid freezer II 280

Hello,

In "Create Custom Kneeboard" tab, I select a desired group, but .miz button don't work to me. It seems that it is not enabled.

Did you click the right arrow to add your group to the "Groups Selected for Custom Kneeboard" list? The insert into .miz button should become enabled if there is at least one group selected to be added to the kneeboard.

Did you click the right arrow to add your group to the "Groups Selected for Custom Kneeboard" list? The insert into .miz button should become enabled if there is at least one group selected to be added to the kneeboard.

Ok, I understood what was wrong. I can't click on "Build Custom Kneeboard for ..." after insert group in "Groups Selected for Custom Kneeboard". I should only insert group with arrows and click .miz without Build Custom Kneeboard.

Dell U2715H 27" IPS 2560x1440 / 60 Hz; Ryzen 7 7700x; 32gb DDR5 6400; B650M Aorus Pro; Water Cooler Arctic liquid freezer II 280

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this Mod. I have been using it for a long time. Just recently probably due to the Beta version, I have lost the ability to use and adjust the Kneeboard Settings. Are you aware of this, am I missing something or is this WIP??

I even re-downloaded from your website. It was there in the beginning but as soon as it is pointed to the beta and I ran the game the changes were not there and then the option is greyed out again. Thanks in advance this is a great add-on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really like this Mod. I have been using it for a long time. Just recently probably due to the Beta version, I have lost the ability to use and adjust the Kneeboard Settings. Are you aware of this, am I missing something or is this WIP??

I even re-downloaded from your website. It was there in the beginning but as soon as it is pointed to the beta and I ran the game the changes were not there and then the option is greyed out again. Thanks in advance this is a great add-on.

I have been away on work assignment for the last several weeks and haven't even had the chance to try out the 1.5 beta yet. I will get back in several days and will take a look at it then. Thanks for letting me know.