Persian Gulf Charts. Where are there ?

taichi

If you make a proper search you may find some charts but not for all airports and airfields. I am preparing some IFR training and I have to draw my own charts, but it is a very slow process.

You may find OIKB, OIBK, OISS, OMRK and a few more for sure, sometimes inside AIP,s or other bigger publications.

What I don't think it are going to be easy to find are military approaches, like TACAN ones.

Eu0aL3A.png

I'm sorry this example is not in english. Next time!

Edited by McFlurry

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know the magnetic variation in the DCS Persian Gulf map? Guess we can then make our own plates for the airfields.

MV for the Persian Gulf is approx. +2° East

page1-5400px-World_Magnetic_Declination_2015.pdf.jpg

You should be able to use RL MV charts/data but can also read DCS's MV directly from the A-10C's CDU, etc.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

MV for the Persian Gulf is approx. +2° East
Remember anyway, it changes following the mission date.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Remember anyway, it changes following the mission date.

WMM-2020 estimates the MV rate of change at Dubai as approx. +0.5° East every 10 years.

epLmmJl.jpg

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml

As I said, you can read DCS's MV directly from the A-10C's CDU, etc. for any given airport/mission date.

"DCS World\Data\MagVar\COF" has WMM data tables for 1985 - 2020 (5 year intervals).

I'm not sure which model DCS uses to calculate MV for Normandy 1944, etc.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I've been playing with this for a few weeks and unfortunately the way the map renders now its not easy to convert the mission editor images to diagrams as I once did. The map now shows the airfield markings and bits of text so I started to try and prepare one of these but found its a significantly longer process than it once was. Its really disappointing as it lets the map down not to have diagrams of the fields.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

My understanding is the others were community generated. Unfortunately as I said above its a lot harder to do them now, I am still planning to give it a go at some point its just a lot of manual with a fair margin for error. Heres my sample, though I wanted to play with the format to make it look a bit more like an ICAO document: chart.png

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

I find those custom charts great:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303320/

But into which path do I have to copy the kneeboard files, if I want to have them available only at the Persian Gulf map and on all planes?

"%HOMEPATH%\Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard\PersianGulf" and

"%HOMEPATH%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf\Kneeboard" don't work

I don't wanna corrupt the native DCS installation path.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, AstonMartinDBS said:

I find those custom charts great:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303320/

But into which path do I have to copy the kneeboard files, if I want to have them available only at the Persian Gulf map and on all planes?

"%HOMEPATH%\Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard\PersianGulf" and

"%HOMEPATH%\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\terrains\PersianGulf\Kneeboard" don't work

I don't wanna corrupt the native DCS installation path.

I'd also like to know this since there are still no aircraft charts in there (same with the Syria map btw).

• Like 1

On a related topic

Is everybody aware that ED has changed some of the beacons and Airfield frequencies in the last update & not flagged it very clearly.

This will result in a lot of errors, confusion and general mayhem.

I'm using these from @Minsky which IMHO are absolutely superb, Ok the're not charts per se, but will at least enable you to dial up the tower 

1 hour ago, Minsky said:

I tried to create a few charts myself based on LIDO, but quickly gave up. A lot of PG's airfields don't have any meaningful data available, and the military traffic doesn't usually fly civilian approaches and departures anyway.

05_Charts_Day_PG_Al_Ain.png

Pity That looks very a smart chart, be fantastic if you had manged to produce a set

Your airfield tables are good more than good enough for my needs though and the best set I've seen since Gospadin produced his charts so many years back for the Caucasus

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 9:35 PM, McFlurry said:

If you make a proper search you may find some charts but not for all airports and airfields. I am preparing some IFR training and I have to draw my own charts, but it is a very slow process.

You may find OIKB, OIBK, OISS, OMRK and a few more for sure, sometimes inside AIP,s or other bigger publications.

What I don't think it are going to be easy to find are military approaches, like TACAN ones.

Eu0aL3A.png

I'm sorry this example is not in english. Next time!

Are there any departure or approach charts for OMDM? I know, it's an military airbase, but there are also charts for Nellis (for instance), so maybe.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I did the airfield diagrams for PG, but have not reviewed in the last few updates for frequency changes. I had a go at some other diagrams recently but there are a few issues with approach plates which I found when trying to recreate a set of actual plates for a larger field 

1. The Map coordinates for PG dont align with the real world, there is a significant difference in some places.

2. The real life Nav aids dont exist consistently, things like the Camel race track or various refineries/flames which are used as reporting points are not there.

3. A lot of military fields have no published info so it is all guess work there anyway

4. the ATC in game does not have any visibility of either of these concepts so they are not going to ask you to fly an approach on the basis of these items or advise if you deviate. 

This last one is the real issue so until that changes (Which is probably 2022 at the earliest) Ive decided to park anything more detailed than Airfield Diagrams or ERC's until the sim catches up.

cw1.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, shu77 said:

The Map coordinates for PG dont align with the real world, there is a significant difference in some places.

This might be caused by the DCS map using a flat Earth model. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

I would assume so, Honestly though until there is some update to the ATC engine there is not a lot of point in trying to progress.  Similarly a large number of the airfields DCS tries to replicate are either non-existent in 2020 or purposely obscured from public documentation sources due to national security interests and for example not present in the other sim and are also as I mentioned elsewhere being used over a conservative 60 year date range so subject to massive shifts in Magnetic variation, so trying to produce accurate approach plates is an exercise in imagination. 

cw1.png

• 4 weeks later...