The F-16 and F-18 lost head-on launch capability using AIM-9L

chn6

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm. Does it work differently with other aircraft, like F-15? The Lima is supposed to be very similar to the Mike.

Can confirm the Aim-9L works just fine head-on in the F-15.

Edited by gavagai
confirm bug

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Yep its been known for a while, 9Ls are useless in the F-16/18 rn. The 9L should be all aspect like the 9M. From the AIM-9L SMC:

image.png

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

The M is behaving in a funny way too. It will give tone way out at 8nm head-on, then go silent at about 6nm, and reacquire at 2.5nm.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Maybe the bandit went into AB, then dropped to mil?

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

If that were the case 9Ms would cool either

HP Z400 Workstation

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, dundun92 said:

Yep its been known for a while, 9Ls are useless in the F-16/18 rn. The 9L should be all aspect like the 9M. From the AIM-9L SMC:

image.png

Does it actually not track bellow the min seeker range? In DCS I mean.

Edited by Cmptohocah
typo

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

7 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

AFAIK no, id guess this is some sort of LOS rate limit but I really dont know, its pretty close to Rmin though, so its probably related to some pre-launch constraint.

HP Z400 Workstation

On 2/2/2021 at 6:00 AM, Cmptohocah said:

No, this part has to do with fuze arming and the missile's ability to physically steer to the target.   So you have minimum time of flight for arming plus maneuvering constraints.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

On 09/02/2021 at 3:14 PM, GGTharos said:

No, this part has to do with fuze arming and the missile's ability to physically steer to the target.   So you have minimum time of flight for arming plus maneuvering constraints.

On the graph above it says: "minimum seeker tracking range".

Dunno if they meant minimum range in general.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Like someone suggested it might be a gimbal rate thing, but this makes no sense vs. a tail-on, non-maneuvering target.  Minimum and maximum ranges are a combination of things, usually not a single thing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

2 hours ago, GGTharos said:

Like someone suggested it might be a gimbal rate thing, but this makes no sense vs. a tail-on, non-maneuvering target.  Minimum and maximum ranges are a combination of things, usually not a single thing.

Not really an expert on the subject at all, so pardon the ignorance, but is there a possibility of the seeker being oversaturated at below min distances?

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

IMHO if this was the case it would be a lot easier to avoid a heat seeking missile IRL as it would lose guidance for a significant TOF in the beam for example.  Also consider that it will happily track the sun or extended targets like clouds etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]